Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs

JohnNord

The problem is, we didn’t ride the horse that got us there, and that’s Josh. We needed Josh in rhythm AND to get hot. The team needed him to walk out there with his balls in a wheelbarrow and let everything else fall into place. 

Instead we played conservative zone coverage in D and tried to impress with our run game that never works. Part of me thinks the trying to force the run early was because we knew our WR were banged up. 

We had 4 beat up WR starting, one with a broken effing leg. McKenzie has proven to be effective in the slot, and Stills should have at least dressed for some spot duty, if, you know, you noticed your receivers couldn’t get open. I would have made Robert’s a healthy scratch. Roberts is only going to flip the game against KC if the rest of the team is firing on all cylinders. 

By the middle of Q2 the writing was on the wall. We should have put the game on Josh’s shoulders and immediately started with the QB power runs and get him rolling. I know everybody is afraid of the Houston game. The other option is what we got out of him in Indy. 

I think Whaley is being a bit kind here by only calling out the conservative concepts in this game. The management and use of the WR corps was just as bad. 

I like McD a ton. I think he might be the best coach we have ever had. But the staff lost this one before the coin toss. I am not going to call out any players based on this game alone. 

I have thoughts on who should stay, go, be demoted, traded, extended, etc. this year, but the KC game didn’t sway me at all. (Except for Yeldon. Watching him block and catch out of the backfield, I think he’s the best RB on the roster) 

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Process said:

He coached scared. We were completely outmatched, so it probably didn't cost us the game. But he 100% should be called out for it. 

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with that. 

I hope Mcd, Allen and Daboll all sit in an office. I hope Allen is asked his opinion and is honest with mcdermott privately. The more time has passed and I've seen some of his press conference, Mcdermott is an inspiring coach but I think he was plain wrong to change what the Bills had done all season and to kick those FG. I think he was thinking of his defence more than the fearless message he had given the team a year or so before 

8 hours ago, JohnNord said:

This clip has generated a lot of interesting discussion.  Whaley echoes what a lot of fans have said about McDermott.  But because of past stint as GM, it’s pissed off a lot of fans.  

I’ll say this... I’ve listed to some of these podcasts and Doug isn’t really bitter.  If anything he takes the high road and goes out of his way not to say anything critical.  I feel that he doesn’t want to burn any bridges to get back to the NFL.  

I get why Bills fans are pissed though 

He's right

Just a couple of thoughts:

As mentioned earlier, we should wait to see what 'Cornpone' Nix has to say.  Maybe Coach Stephenson as well.

Boxing is...well, "It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."  Anyone with a webcam can be a pundit nowadays.

From EJ to Sammy Watkins...this GM didn't know his elbow from his arse. 

Most of you are forgetting that "NFL football is a violent sport humans aren't meant to play"...

One, in a long list of mistakes by Russ Brandon / Ralph Wilson.

I, for one, am grateful for McD, Beane. The Buffalo Bills were just in the AFC Championship game. 

95% of the Bills fans had the Bills winning 7 to 9 games this season...and the other 5%, less. 

• Like (+1) 1

Meh. I get what he's saying. I don't really think he's saying anything inflammatory. He's basically just saying you're not gonna beat KC with field goals. I understood the FG at the end of the half, he wanted to get some points on the board after the 21 unanswered by KC. I get what he's doing there, he didn't want the team to walk away with zilch and feel even more deflated. But I imagine a TD there would've provided a decent spark. I also thought Poyer's big hit would create a spark. There was just something missing on the Bills end. 

It is pretty infuriating to see KC be able to defend against them so well in both games this season. 32nd ranked red zone defense and that's all they could get? Bah. 

I also now despise Jim Nantz and Tony Romo. 

• Like (+1) 1

So, setting aside these two points :

- most on here dislike Whaley (agree that he was not a good GM but not a bad person)

- Beane is a better GM (which I agree with)

are there specific area where you guys disagree with Whaley ? 

why does his sub-par job with Bills disqualify him from expressing his views on the game and coaching ?

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

So, setting aside these two points :

- most on here dislike Whaley (agree that he was not a good GM but not a bad person)

- Beane is a better GM (which I agree with)

are there specific area where you guys disagree with Whaley ? 

why does his sub-par job with Bills disqualify him from expressing his views on the game and coaching ?

Speaking strictly for myself, it's not that Whaley and Monos sub-par job with the Bills disqualify them from expressing his views.

It's just that their past doesn't qualify them as experts I'm intrigued and motivated to tune in to Ty Dunne and listen to, and pointing out they were in the FO of teams while those teams won Superbowls doesn't change that.

If the point is to generally discuss the Bills roster and gameplan and coaching approach to the KC game, from what people have said here it doesn't sound as though they added much in the way of new insights or ideas over what McDermott himself has said in his presser, and less than pundits like Chris Simms or bloggers like Cover1 have offered.

• Like (+1) 1

I supported Whaley while he was here. But he and Dunne just need to move on. Dunne especially, as he is trying to milk an entire reporting career out of one contact who isnt even in the NFL anymore. Sad.

Anyone could sit and pick apart things in hindsight.

I think we all know where the Bills went wrong Sunday night. Moving on...

15 hours ago, JohnNord said:

This clip has generated a lot of interesting discussion.  Whaley echoes what a lot of fans have said about McDermott.  But because of past stint as GM, it’s pissed off a lot of fans.  

I’ll say this... I’ve listed to some of these podcasts and Doug isn’t really bitter.  If anything he takes the high road and goes out of his way not to say anything critical.  I feel that he doesn’t want to burn any bridges to get back to the NFL.  

I get why Bills fans are pissed though 

I don’t see why anyone would be pissed off at this. He’s 100% right. If you’re mad at this there’s something wrong with you. 

12 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Whaley was a terrible GM and had no idea how to build a team.  He didn’t have the ability or the vision to do what Beane and McDermott did.  

If you long for the days of Doug Whaley, I have no idea what to tell you.

I don’t think anyone is longing for Doug Whaley days but he never picked the coach and we constantly changed schemes not many people would be successful in that situation. Many of the players he drafted were solid parts of Super Bowl teams elsewhere. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

If you kick the FG you probably lose.

If you go for it and don't make it, you probably lose.

If you go for it and score the TD you've got a shot.

1 of those 3 decisions gives you a chance to win the game. Kicking a FG and going 4 and out are pretty much the same thing. You need to score 30+ to be in the game at the end, so unless you score 10 FGs you aren't getting there with 3's. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

If you kick the FG you probably lose.

If you go for it and don't make it, you probably lose.

If you go for it and score the TD you've got a shot.

1 of those 3 decisions gives you a chance to win the game. Kicking a FG and going 4 and out are pretty much the same thing. You need to score 30+ to be in the game at the end, so unless you score 10 FGs you aren't getting there with 3's. 

I agree and I also think his aggressive in game coaching on 4th down (before this game) improved this teams output alot. 

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

I don't view Whaley's tenure in a favorable light, but that doesn't mean he can't comment on anything. 

Also, Sean McDermott has criticized Sean McDermott's game management so it's not Whaley's saying something crazy either. 

I think it's great that Mcdermott has been questioning of some of his own decisions, he didnt sound defensive when asked in his end of season presser which I think bodes well. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think McDermott will learn from this. He seems like a very reflective guy who is willing to grow as a HC.

Sometimes we forget that coaches, just like players, need to grow to reach their ceiling. 

Andy Reid is what a coach reaching his ceiling looks like. For years Reid fell short in the playoffs, largely due to poor coaching decisions. Now he has a super team that seemingly can do whatever it wants. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I don’t see why anyone would be pissed off at this. He’s 100% right. If you’re mad at this there’s something wrong with you. 

I don’t think anyone is longing for Doug Whaley days but he never picked the coach and we constantly changed schemes not many people would be successful in that situation. Many of the players he drafted were solid parts of Super Bowl teams elsewhere. 

That explains it then.  If you have a favorable opinion of Doug Whaley, then of course it won’t bother you. 

If you didn’t think he was very good, you’re going to take exception with a person in leadership criticizing the coach who was way more successful.

Its like Zay Jones saying that Stefon Diggs is too soft at getting off the LOS.  Same reaction

Also you said Doug never picked his coaches?  That’s your speculation but I listen to the podcast and he never has claimed that.  Ty also said that Whaley hired McDermott.  So it appears that isn’t true

10 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I don't view Whaley's tenure in a favorable light, but that doesn't mean he can't comment on anything. 

Also, Sean McDermott has criticized Sean McDermott's game management so it's not Whaley's saying something crazy either. 

It doesn’t mean he can’t comment.  Everyone can comments.

But you shouldn’t be surprised that fans are giving him push back.  McDermott did what Doug never could in turning around a franchise, so of course fans are going to give him a negative reaction and question his credibility   

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Speaking strictly for myself, it's not that Whaley and Monos sub-par job with the Bills disqualify them from expressing his views.

It's just that their past doesn't qualify them as experts I'm intrigued and motivated to tune in to Ty Dunne and listen to, and pointing out they were in the FO of teams while those teams won Superbowls doesn't change that.

If the point is to generally discuss the Bills roster and gameplan and coaching approach to the KC game, from what people have said here it doesn't sound as though they added much in the way of new insights or ideas over what McDermott himself has said in his presser, and less than pundits like Chris Simms or bloggers like Cover1 have offered.

I understand and appreciate your view and you make a cogent argument. My question was related to an undercurrent of dislike for Whaley because he did not succeed as a GM for the Bills. As you did, its fair to questions his credentials as a game strategy evaluator but simply dismissing his views due to his job performance is not the right way to look at it. 

Imo, if Whaley had prioritized and taken a good QB early in his tenure, his stay with the Bills would have been viewed far more sympathetically. Beane has built a good team overall but truth be told, he has not really hit on many of his high picks. As examples, the performances from Oliver, Epenesa, Knox, Singletary have been underwhelming related to where they were picked. I dont want to hijack this thread in that direction but wanted to make a point that picking a good QB covers up for a lot of other draft mistakes

36 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

That explains it then.  If you have a favorable opinion of Doug Whaley, then of course it won’t bother you. 

If you didn’t think he was very good, you’re going to take exception with a person in leadership criticizing the coach who was way more successful.

Its like Zay Jones saying that Stefon Diggs is too soft at getting off the LOS.  Same reaction

Also you said Doug never picked his coaches?  That’s your speculation but I listen to the podcast and he never has claimed that.  Ty also said that Whaley hired McDermott.  So it appears that isn’t true

It doesn’t mean he can’t comment.  Everyone can comments.

But you shouldn’t be surprised that fans are giving him push back.  McDermott did what Doug never could in turning around a franchise, so of course fans are going to give him a negative reaction and question his credibility   

The same people attacking Doug Whaley in this thread would have endlessly defended and supported any decision he would have made if he were still the GM of the Bills.

A certain % of the people here have this gang warfare territory type thing going on, where nothing bad can be said of current Bills employees, ever.  Once they leave, they immediately transition into material for criticism.  

Look at how this board viewed EJ, Tyrod, Kiko Alonso, and Sammy Watkins to name a few, both while on the roster and after they left it.

Night and day support followed by joking and disrespect.

It's odd.