Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs

JohnNord

This clip has generated a lot of interesting discussion.  Whaley echoes what a lot of fans have said about McDermott.  But because of past stint as GM, it’s pissed off a lot of fans.  

I’ll say this... I’ve listed to some of these podcasts and Doug isn’t really bitter.  If anything he takes the high road and goes out of his way not to say anything critical.  I feel that he doesn’t want to burn any bridges to get back to the NFL.  

I get why Bills fans are pissed though 

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• JohnNord changed the title to Doug Whaley Criticizes Sean McDermott’s Game Management vs Chiefs
3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This clip has generated a lot of interesting discussion.  Whaley echoes what a lot of fans have said about McDermott.  But because of past stint as GM, it’s pissed off a lot of fans.  

I’ll say this... I’ve listed to some of these podcasts and Doug isn’t really bitter.  If anything he takes the high road and goes out of his way not to say anything critical.  I feel that he doesn’t want to burn any bridges to get back to the NFL.  

I get why Bills fans are pissed though 

Bitter??

What would this clown be bitter about?--being promoted to a job he was ill-prepared to perform?  Being horrible at running an NFL franchise?  Being forever out the NFL on merit?

The BALLS on this bum.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not a big fan of cliches like "you have to knock out the champ."  They completely oversimplify something as complex as situational football.

We were up against a superior opponent. I understand reverting to more conservative calls in some areas - I had no issue at all w/ the FG right before the half, and with playing more of a prevent D.  There were other calls I had some issues with, but McD knows a lot more than me, and he has earned my trust as a fan.

It's always fun for pundits to play HC in hindsight.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bitter??

What would this clown be bitter about?--being promoted to a job he was ill-prepared to perform?  Being horrible at running an NFL franchise?  Being forever out the NFL on merit?

The BALLS on this bum.....

With the hack of all hacks Tyler Dunne trying to keep him relevant. :lol:

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Doug Whaley has no room to talk. He was a horrible GM who hurt us cap wise while he was here and stuck us with Tyrod *****in Taylor for 3 years. I don’t give a ***** about his opinion. Sounds like he is still sour on being fired from Buffalo. Thank god for Beane

yep this is true and that’s why people are annoyed.  Kind of like the guy who gets fired trying to tell you how to do your job 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Well he’s not wrong.... game was over when McD opted for the FG before half time to make it 21-12 when his defense couldn’t stop anything. You go for the TD there. He stands by the FG there even now. Slightly disappointing. 

Like I said, he didn’t say anything that most fans haven’t.  I think the resentment is there from fans because he was a pretty bad GM

• Agree 1

McD’s decision to kick in the first half based on “morale” was absolutely the right one. You could tell the team was shell shocked. They had to get points. I thought it was very astute coaching.

The national pundits didn’t see how aggressive he was all year, and how this was a total change from what he normally does— based on his very good instincts of looking at his team at that moment. 

The second half decision was too risk averse, as I think McD will now concede. But hindsight is 20/20. If the D had gotten a stop or turnover, it would have probably worked out pretty well. But they didn’t, and we spiraled down. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

With the hack of all hacks Tyler Dunne trying to keep him relevant. :lol:

these 3 guys look like they are hunkered down, waiting for their next block of government cheese to wash down with their cases of Natty Light.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McD’s decision to kick in the first half based on “morale” was absolutely the right one. You could tell the team was shell shocked. They had to get points. I thought it was very astute coaching.

The national pundits didn’t see how aggressive he was all year, and how this was a total change from what he normally does— based on his very good instincts of looking at his team at that moment. 

The second half decision was too risk averse, as I think McD will now concede. But hindsight is 20/20. If the D had gotten a stop or turnover, it would have probably worked out pretty well. But they didn’t, and we spiraled down. 

The whole “morale” quote is somewhat taken out of context because moments later he admitted it was a mistake and that he would like to go for it at the end of the half.  Of course, that never gets reported 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

these 3 guys look like they are hunkered down, waiting for their next block of government cheese to wash down with their cases of Natty Light.

They haven’t been employed by an NFL franchise since they were ousted by McDermott

Who cares what anyone says really? It's all here say at this point. What I would love to know though (and we'll probably never know) is what they were thinking on defense. What about that game plan made them think they'd be successful? I believe McDermott and/or the coaching staff just plain out over thought this game. All year we heard about "taking what the defense gives Josh" type thing, but offensively it almost feels like they did the exact opposite. I just feel like the plan on both sides of the ball was way off 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed, had to come away with points before the half.  The 4th Q is where the wheels really came off with the HC decision making.  Situational awareness....

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I'm not a big fan of cliches like "you have to knock out the champ."  They completely oversimplify something as complex as situational football.

We were up against a superior opponent. I understand reverting to more conservative calls in some areas - I had no issue at all w/ the FG right before the half, and with playing more of a prevent D.  There were other calls I had some issues with, but McD knows a lot more than me, and he has earned my trust as a fan.

It's always fun for pundits to play HC in hindsight.

Totally agree.  And McD admitted today the decision to kick the second FG was a mistake.  He doesn't need any armchair front office wannabes to tell him that.  McD knows he has a lot to learn as a HC.  I'm glad we have a HC who is not thinking that he's "arrived" just because he has a title.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1