[Name Only Title] Najee Harris

The link to the Cover 1 video that I posted does an excellent job of analyzing the BIlls' run game.  While they recognize Singletary's limitations they put most of the blame on the OL.  Last year (when the run game was better) they used mostly a gap run game.  This year it was mostly zone blocking because the line made too many error in the more complex gap blocking scheme.  This was partly a talent issue and partly the result of injuries that forced a shuffling of the line.

You can't have a good running game if the blocking isn't there.  Most of the great runners (Thurman, etc) ran behind good O lines.  Derrick Henry runs over people but even he would not have the success he's had if his OL had not been blocking for him.

A question about Harris: How good is he at protecting the QB?  Blitz pickup is pretty complex with the way D's disguise their blitzes and with our passing offense you need a back that can block for the QB.

The third back being discussed right now might be the best of them all..........

Javonte Williams of NC.

He is a natural all around RB with power, wiggle and capable of breaking long runs.

If the Bills don't go the vet route, I bet it is going to be this Williams kid or Gainwell in the the 2nd or 3rd round as of now.

But it is still VERY EARLY in the process.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

The third back being discussed right now might be the best of them all..........

Javonte Williams of NC.

He is a natural all around RB with power, wiggle and capable of breaking long runs.

If the Bills don't go the vet route, I bet it is going to be this Williams kid or Gainwell in the the 2nd or 3rd round as of now.

He could be for sure.  

If Beane is going to take a RB, it should be in the first round.  Normally I’m against taking them high, but if he’s going to try for a third straight year then he needs to stop screwing around and take the top guy.  You can’t keep wasting early picks on failed RBs when that’s literally the easiest position to find.  Go get the top one in the draft or just say screw it and bring in a dozen UDFAs.  

Adequate RBs grow on trees.  Fournette and Bell were outright released early in the season.  Now they’re in the Super Bowl.  There’s no excuse for not having someone capable even if you never draft any.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

Javonte Williams of NC.

I like both the NC backs. I think Michael Carter is generally being a little overlooked. He has some juice too.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I like both the NC backs. I think Michael Carter is generally being a little overlooked. He has some juice too.

Agreed. As I don’t think the top 3 backs will make it to us in rd 2, I think Carter could get a look in rd 2.  Can’t see him lasting til rd 3. He’s a great fit for us

If he doesn’t possess breakaway speed then I wouldn’t spend a top pick on him.
We need a little Al Davis mentality with this draft and off season in that increasing speed on both sides of the ball is a necessity to overcome the KC hump.

Better use of the player personnel in big spots however is still required to make the whole thing work- I.e getting your fast guys like McKenzie on the field instead of hobbled WR’s in the AFC championship. McKenzie just felt very under utilized to me throughout the entire post season.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, njbuff said:

Javonte Williams of NC.

And,

We need a few more Williams, we are running short.

😎

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

If he doesn’t possess breakaway speed then I wouldn’t spend a top pick on him.
We need a little Al Davis mentality with this draft and off season in that increasing speed on both sides of the ball is a necessity to overcome the KC hump.

Better use of the player personnel in big spots however is still required to make the whole thing work- I.e getting your fast guys like McKenzie on the field instead of hobbled WR’s in the AFC championship. McKenzie just felt very under utilized to me throughout the entire post season.

McKenzie and Yeldon were grossly underutilized all season. Our 2 headed rbs were too slow to creep through those little gaps. We desperately need an elite RB. Maybe Najee can someday be that guy?

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2021 at 5:12 PM, Pirate Angel said:

How far do all you draft gurus think this guy will fall?? What moves would it take to draft him. Damn he would look nice in a Bill's uni... 

I think that this is a position that could fall late in this draft due to the release of good expensive players this year because of the salary cap reduction. Normally positions would have been filled but now extra needs have been created. Since the RB position has been devalued the last umpteen years this is a position that realistically could slide. Hypothetically if this were to happen I would think that Singletary could get bumped off this roster in one way or another. 

Buffalo is a team that still has needs but none of them are urgent so BPA should be the thought process here. In years past Baltimore’s former GM Ozzie Newsome was a draft guru because he stuck to this strategy and that was drafting BPA.