Bills announce 13 reserve/future signings

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why does Dane Jackson. a 7th round pick from 2020, have to sign a futures contract? Aren’t all draft picks on their rookie deals for at least 3 years?  

He was drafted but he was cut, and signed to the PS. 

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why does Dane Jackson. a 7th round pick from 2020, have to sign a futures contract? Aren’t all draft picks on their rookie deals for at least 3 years?  

Edited by YoloinOhio

35 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I was wondering the same thing.

Unless it's because he didn't make the active roster and was on the Practice Squad, thus he was free to sign with any team that wanted him.

43 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Believe it's because he was cut at the beginning, then signed to PS, never under actual contract.  This year due to Covid changes, they had this thing every week where you could bring two players up to the 53 and not be subject to Waivers when brought back down, think it also could only happen to any one player two times through the year, so allowed Jackson to actually play in couple of games.

Think at the end of the season everyone on the PS is either signed to a futures contract or becomes a FA

45 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Does Davis Webb replace Barkley?

May depend on what they view of Fromm's development.  St this point I'd be kind of nervous having your back up QB's being Fromm  and Webb.  Maybe over off-season and pre-season, one or both play pretty well and fears are reduced considerably to go with them.

Will be very surprised too if they don't also bring in a vet to be ready for backup position if either/both of these guys look shaky.  Maybe it will even be Barkley unless they feel they can find a much cheaper but compatible talented option?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

haha— love the Bach reference.

Re Duke, I think he is too short to covert to TE. 6’2”.  Everyone wants a 6’6” type target like a Kelce, Andrews, Hunter, Gisecki. 

Knox really can be that guy. He needs to just take it to the next level. 

Duke is listed as 6-3/ 225. He puts on 10-15 lbs and he's already bigger than Gilliam at 6-0?  Just sayin?

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Christian Wade lives on!!!!

he was on a 2 year “international player exchange” 

I would think he doesn’t have to deal with that crap any longer 

The talent is obviously there, it’s the football xos he needs to master. Picking up blitzes, etc. I really hope he makes it, I want to see what he can do on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/explaining-an-nfl-reservefuture-contract-and-what-it-means/ar-BB1d1sF2

During the offseason, things get a little weird. First of all, teams are technically required to stick to the 53-man roster until the new league year begins in early March each year. Whether a team is in the Super Bowl or they were eliminated from playoff contention by week ten of the regular season, the 53-man roster rule is the same.

Enter the “Futures Contract.”

These contracts are interesting. Unlike a normal player contract, which takes effect the moment they are signed, futures contracts take effect on the first day of the new league year. This coincides with the day teams can expand their rosters to a new, 90-player max — the limit from day one of the league year until the first round of cuts during training camp.

Usually, futures contracts are used for young players. Technically, they can be used to sign anyone who was not on an active roster when the preceding regular season ended. The problem is, most savvy veterans are going to be on a roster, so you basically never hear of a highly talented player signing one of these contracts. Usually, teams will first target their own practice squad players they think could eventually contribute, because practice squads are dissolved when the league year ends. Signing those players to futures contracts ensures they will at least be under team control through the beginning of training camp, and not at risk of being snagged away by another team in need.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Hmm. Wade does have elite speed. Hopefully he has worked on his pass blocking the last two years. That's the real hurdle for him.

I think it's not just pass blocking, it's developing the vision to find the hole and follow his blockers.

That's just not part of the Rugby game at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

What does one have to do with the other?

I believe that the more familiarity that Allen has in the QB room the better. It would be Barkley's 3rd year with Allen. I'm sure there is a trust level there as far as a sounding board and Allen being comfortable with Barkley's input.

I'd hate to see a new vet if a new QB coach is coming in. I'd rather have at least one old slipper around if you can't have two.

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Does Davis Webb replace Barkley?

I think Barkley offers Josh a better sounding board or level of knowledge than Webb. I think Fromm replaces Webb yet wouldn't be shocked if we add another veteran QB if Barkley somehow leaves. Colt McCoy be a guy I'd like.

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Is Webb a better weapon as s back up? I ask because I never hear much about his actual capacity. 

Go Bills!!!

Good question.  I think you'd have to say "no one knows"

Draft profile

Drafted by the Giants in the 3rd round in 2017

Cut and put on the practice squad the following (2018) season after a Regime Change

Cut and put on the Jets practice squad in 2019

I don't believe he's taken a snap in the NFL

I think it's fair to say that if he were viewed as talent/potential-less he wouldn't still be on a roster

I think it's also fair to say that if he snapped anyone's head around he'd have been given a snap or two by now

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good question.  I think you'd have to say "no one knows"

Draft profile

Drafted by the Giants in the 3rd round in 2017

Cut and put on the practice squad the following (2018) season after a Regime Change

Cut and put on the Jets practice squad in 2019

I don't believe he's taken a snap in the NFL

I think it's fair to say that if he were viewed as talent/potential-less he wouldn't still be on a roster

I think it's also fair to say that if he snapped anyone's head around he'd have been given a snap or two by now

All good points, it appears Matt Barkley is safe, with an outside chance that Fromm is actually good, and applies pressure for Barkley’s spot...

Absolutely cannot wait to see Christian Wade in action again.  The NFL indentured this guy for two years, and I really want to see him succeed.  The raw talent is ridiculous, dude is world class.  He solves the speed issue that everyone is complaining about with Motor and Moss.  If he can pickup a blitz, great, but I'm more interested in the speed and quickness at RB.