Interesting "Practice" (I'll use the word loosely) by Allen

This was from an article from the Athletic, (need to be a subscriber)

Putting this into context, this happened early 2nd quarter right after the Chiefs scored their first TD so score 9-7 Bills.  Was in an article chronicling his final game of season.

After some brief throws on the sideline, Allen grabbed a packet of smelling salts and took a deep inhale at 7:21. He quickly shook his head back and forth three times and then waited to take the field.

My question is does this happen every time he goes onto the field.  Did this mean he was actually knocked a bit woozy last possession.  Sounds like something common place 30 years ago, in today's NFL would think the league would question the need for or is this a typical practice everyone in the league does?? 

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Putting this into context, this happened early 2nd quarter right after the Chiefs scored their first TD so score 9-7 Bills

After some brief throws on the sideline, Allen grabbed a packet of smelling salts and took a deep inhale at 7:21. He quickly shook his head back and forth three times and then waited to take the field.

My question is does this happen every time he goes onto the field.  Did this mean he was actually knocked a bit woozy last possession.  Sounds like something common place 30 years ago, in today's NFL would think the league would question the need for or is this a typical practice everyone in the league does?? 

I've caught him doing it several times on camera before heading back onto the field. I think a lot of players are using it as a "tool" these days. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Putting this into context, this happened early 2nd quarter right after the Chiefs scored their first TD so score 9-7 Bills

Usage is pretty common on every NFL sideline. Trying to remember whose Mic'ed Up mentioned it a couple times. Maybe Hydes from this year?

Adam+Gase+smelling+salts.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

When i was kid i remember my grandfather and my uncle used to carry around little bottles of smelling salts in their pockets.  Never thought much of it...  It was strong and would knock me awake when i took a whiff.  They were not NFL QB's so i really don't know why they needed them?  I just figured it was an old person thing, lol.

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Horseradish works better, providing it's the 'good stuff'. 😁

I have heard that. I played with a safety that would take a little bit and boom up the nose. I never tried it though. 

It's quite common in the NHL for many players to do this while sitting on the bench, getting ready for the game to start.

You see it all the time.  They are often passing the smelling salts around for sniffing.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Wasabi too.  When I worked over night shift I used to eat Wasabi peas to keep me awake.

Wasabi is Japanese horseradish......and is usually green.  If you like Japanese food, you know the taste.  I have had the peas, and yes, they will 'Kick you up a notch"