Rob Ryan might be a crappy coach, but he sure can explain things well...great in-depth defensive videos from him

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Rex Ryan might have run the most complex defense in NFL history.

Most fans consider him to be a buffoon.

It's somewhere in between but the reality is that you don't need to be a genius to understand the game of football.

Rex's defense is complex and very effective...if you have the perfect personnel for it, i.e., two lockdown corners and rangey DEs and OLBs.

But if you have that kind of personnel you can be just as effective running a simpler defense.

• Agree 1

Rex and Rob know their stuff. Not sure about Rob, but Rex's issue is being lazy and unwilling to adapt.

McDermott puts in a ton of work. He is constantly trying to get better and get the team better. Rex is nothing like that. He doesn't have the drive to succeed like McDermott does.

Just now, BuffBillsForLife said:

Rex's defense is complex and very effective...if you have the perfect personnel for it, i.e., two lockdown corners and rangey DEs and OLBs.

But if you have that kind of personnel you can be just as effective running a simpler defense.

I think NFL offenses caught up and figured out how to attack his defense. And he didn't adapt.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

i worry this has become an issue w what we are running now too.  it's not anti fragile, a single mistake or guys who can't win one on one and we get trucked.

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's somewhere in between but the reality is that you don't need to be a genius to understand the game of football.

Yes it was so complex it never worked here and one of the reasons we were constantly having to rush defensive players onto the field and players didnt know what top do often.

Coaching is the ultimate chess game on steroids. All your weak links, player injury’s, formations, personnel and tendencies will be exposed and exploited. Players like Bruce Smith, Ted Washington, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed just to name a few are the type of players that break defenses/offenses. All of these guys demand a double team to be even slightly slowed down. The only player I can name on our current roster that demands a double team is Diggs and maybe Hughes.

• Agree 1

What I have heard about  Rex's defense is that you need a very cerebral leader on the field to make the calls and get everybody else set up. Ed Reed was that guy. and then Jim Leonhard was that guy. I've read that the jets used him on the field, past his physical expiration date, because his presence in making the calls was so important. and the jets defense was pretty decent under rex, iirc. 

apparently buffalo didn't have that guy. or maybe i read or heard something that is more fiction than fact. 

3 hours ago, colin said:

i worry this has become an issue w what we are running now too.  it's not anti fragile, a single mistake or guys who can't win one on one and we get trucked.

Our defense is pretty simple and relies mor on execution that complication. Hyde and Poyer are excellent at disguising things on the back end and we are typically good at simulating pressure but overall it is a simple defense.

Edited by Big Turk

54 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Our defense is pretty simple and relies mor on execution that complication. Hyde and Poyer are excellent at disguising things on the back end and we are typically good at simulating pressure but overall it is a simple defense.

agreed, but we can't disguise the font as well in our normal formation, and like edmunds biting or one guy filling the wrong gap (butler on the goal line, as erik turner pointed out on twitter) and the whole thing is toast.  

vs an O with limitations on what it can do, or when we can know what they do (this is where a lead helps) it is a good risk reward D, but it's too balanced for the modern NFL, it defends all of the field decently by design, but when someone is creative or baits us, it creates holes and doesn't attack or take away their strength well enough.  

that's what i mean about not being anti fragile,  in too many instances a single guy getting beat or making a mental mistake kills us.  that's why indy was able to truck us for 14 points super fast, and why kc smoked us, and why we didn't stop a TE all season.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I consider him a buffoon, but it's not because I don't recognize him as a brilliant and innovative defensive football mind in his time.

It's because by the time he was signed as HC of the Bills, he no longer had the passion and dedication for the game to lead a team properly, and because by some accounts he may never have had the detail-orientation and drive for self-scouting and self-improvement to lead a team to a championship.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Jim Leonhard ran that D! Or was the only one capable of running that D. But yeah, you’re basically right.

2 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

What I have heard about  Rex's defense is that you need a very cerebral leader on the field to make the calls and get everybody else set up. Ed Reed was that guy. and then Jim Leonhard was that guy. I've read that the jets used him on the field, past his physical expiration date, because his presence in making the calls was so important. and the jets defense was pretty decent under rex, iirc. 

apparently buffalo didn't have that guy. or maybe i read or heard something that is more fiction than fact. 

It was always Leonhard. He followed Rex from Baltimore to the Jets, and then Leonhard followed Pettine to Buffalo in 2013 and Cleveland in 2014. He played for one year in Denver in 2012, and The Jets’ D under Rex cratered that year. Leonhard was basically the on-field coordinator for that system. Without him, it fails, which means something obvious: any system reliant on the participation of one undrafted safety long past his sell-by date to succeed is a bad system. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

agreed, but we can't disguise the font as well in our normal formation, and like edmunds biting or one guy filling the wrong gap (butler on the goal line, as erik turner pointed out on twitter) and the whole thing is toast.  

vs an O with limitations on what it can do, or when we can know what they do (this is where a lead helps) it is a good risk reward D, but it's too balanced for the modern NFL, it defends all of the field decently by design, but when someone is creative or baits us, it creates holes and doesn't attack or take away their strength well enough.  

that's what i mean about not being anti fragile,  in too many instances a single guy getting beat or making a mental mistake kills us.  that's why indy was able to truck us for 14 points super fast, and why kc smoked us, and why we didn't stop a TE all season.

This year for whatever reason yes. Last year and the year before that not so much.