How can the bills afford Diggs and Allen

dbfla10

26 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

look at his cap hit after next year. 40mil/year 

That’s where they step in and rework his K to punt the football down the road so to speak—convert portion of that years salary to a signing bonus and spread it out over the life of the extended term K (up to 5 yrs) for cap purposes? 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fieldgulls.com/platform/amp/2019/2/19/18231248/salary-cap-101-basics-salary-bonuses-john-schneider-seattle-seahawks-frank-clark-russell-wilson

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dbfla10 said:

Rodgers wasnt over 30 and Adams wasnt near 20... 

possibly but there are enough making over 20m, and if you think youre the best youre gonna want to be the highest paid... Hopkins set the new bar IMO

Comprehensive list of WRs with a cap hit greater than 20m

Hopkins 27.25

Jones 22

Allen 20.025

Cooper 20

I don't think we're suddenly going to see a ton of 20+mm cap hits for WRs, especially with the cap (probably) going down this coming season. Diggs is the 16th highest cap hit at WR, which isn't low enough to be insulting. I predict he'd play out at least 1 more season before trying to restructure. 

Josh's (hopefully soon to come) mega deal won't kick in until the 22-23 season (at the earliest).  

Beane is surely aware of this and it will effect the batch of UFA signings this off-season, but we're hardly in cap trouble. A small bit of planning will make it very easy to retain Diggs and Allen without destroying our cap.   

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Comprehensive list of WRs with a cap hit greater than 20m

Hopkins 27.25

Jones 22

Allen 20.025

Cooper 20

I don't think we're suddenly going to see a ton of 20+mm cap hits for WRs, especially with the cap (probably) going down this coming season. Diggs is the 16th highest cap hit at WR, which isn't low enough to be insulting. I predict he'd play out at least 1 more season before trying to restructure. 

Josh's (hopefully soon to come) mega deal won't kick in until the 22-23 season (at the earliest).  

Beane is surely aware of this and it will effect the batch of UFA signings this off-season, but we're hardly in cap trouble. A small bit of planning will make it very easy to retain Diggs and Allen without destroying our cap.   

Agree with everything you said. Just hope Diggs plays along, cause I cant blame him for asking for more. 

5 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Hopkins, julio Jones, Keenan Allan, amari cooper, Michael thomas is just short... IMO Diggs is better than all of them

Good list (for real, no sarcasm). But really only Hopkins and Jones average over $20M/yr. The Cowboys were stuck having to pay Cooper since they traded away some 1sts for him.

And Thomas kind of answers your original question. The Saints are paying Thomas and Brees. They start every offseason way over the cap. But somehow they figure out payrolls, and are still there to compete every season.

Good back and forth, but it really isnt that much of a worry for the Bills. Especially considering Josh's extension and Diggs' new deal wont kick in until after next year when the cap gets back to normal and makes some big jumps.

While the taste of defeat is fresh I’d quickly offer josh 8 years fully guaranteed for $160M and tell him he can work with Beane on how the extra $15M a year he saved the team is spent.

Beans: “Hey josh do you want an online to help you stay upright or a shiny new toy to throw to your choice”

Also provide him with player option to renegotiate after year 4 as salary cap changes.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good list (for real, no sarcasm). But really only Hopkins and Jones average over $20M/yr. The Cowboys were stuck having to pay Cooper since they traded away some 1sts for him.

And Thomas kind of answers your original question. The Saints are paying Thomas and Brees. They start every offseason way over the cap. But somehow they figure out payrolls, and are still there to compete every season.

Good back and forth, but it really isnt that much of a worry for the Bills. Especially considering Josh's extension and Diggs' new deal wont kick in until after next year when the cap gets back to normal and makes some big jumps.

good stuff go bills

1 hour ago, dbfla10 said:

There is no doubt Diggs is going to ask for more money. Deandre Hopkins yearly salary is going to be nearly twice that of diggs. Diggs is going to ask for more money, and based on other contracts he deserves it. I know he has 3 full seasons left, but so did hopkins before his trade. Going to be very tough to afford these two unless the bills ride out Allens contract till his 5th year, which I think is best. 

Here, I'll explain it to you very simply. They do Incentive laden contracts with Bonuses at a smaller yearly salary. The Salary gets spread out over the number of years of the contract, but the bonuses count against only that year they are given. That keep the yearly salary's manageable while still having the cap space to pay out the bonuses when and if they are met. It's literally how every other NFL team does it. 

That's not even taking into account the fact that these are all "character" guys that buy into the team first philosophy that Bean and McDermott are all about. They want the player like this because as long as they are building a winning team, those types of players will take those types of contract so that they can retain and attract great talent to keep on winning.

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Are you seriously suggesting that the Bills allow Allen to basically become a free agent before paying him? 

The whole idea of reworking these contracts for your rookie franchise QB is to show him that he's your guy and to allow the team to get the most advantageous CAP friendly deal they can get.  To do otherwise would be insane on the Bills part. 

There is a zero chance that Bean doesn't rework Allen's contract this off season.

Agreed...the longer they wait to work on Allen's deal, the worse it will be for the organization as Josh continues to increase his leverage.  They will get it done this offseason as they should...and it will look like a relative bargain in a few years as the price of even serviceable to good QB's (seek Kirk Cousins, etc.) continues to skyrocket.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just a note that we didnt really re-do his contract. We just moved some money up to this year since we had cap space this year, and reduced it down the line.

"the Bills are increasing Diggs' 2020 compensation by $3.3 million (now $14.8 million). Buffalo is also reducing Diggs' 2021 cash by $300,000, but increasing the guarantee by $7.7 million -- making it a total of $11 million. Additionally, the Bills reduced Diggs' 2022-23 cash from $25.55 million to $22.67 million"

In effect increasing his guaranteed $ and getting him some more $ this year.  I know it's a not a major re-working, but it is a reworking that benefitted both sides.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs wanted out of Minnesota because he wanted to play with a good QB on a Super Bowl contending team.  He won’t be able to get top dollar here because we have to pay our franchise QB first.  If he wants Hopkins level money then he’ll need to goto Washington,  Jax, NYJ or another team that has oodles of cap room but no franchise QB,  but I don’t think that’s Diggs’ #1 objective.

38 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

While the taste of defeat is fresh I’d quickly offer josh 8 years fully guaranteed for $160M and tell him he can work with Beane on how the extra $15M a year he saved the team is spent.

Beans: “Hey josh do you want an online to help you stay upright or a shiny new toy to throw to your choice”

Also provide him with player option to renegotiate after year 4 as salary cap changes.

Surely you can't be serious

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

In effect increasing his guaranteed $ and getting him some more $ this year.  I know it's a not a major re-working, but it is a reworking that benefitted both sides.

Right on. I wasnt disagreeing with you, but thought it was a smart and interesting move by Beane and wanted to document it here.