How can the bills afford Diggs and Allen

dbfla10

26 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

There is no doubt Diggs is going to ask for more money. Deandre Hopkins yearly salary is going to be nearly twice that of diggs. Diggs is going to ask for more money, and based on other contracts he deserves it. I know he has 3 full seasons left, but so did hopkins before his trade. Going to be very tough to afford these two unless the bills ride out Allens contract till his 5th year, which I think is best. 

As if we are the first team to have two top players on the roster that we want to retain. SMH

If you're not just trolling -- I'd expect to see a lot fewer free agent signings of the type we saw last season. It's going to be rookies, resigning our own impact players, and rolling the dice on veteran minimum type players or players with injury or character concerns to fill out the roster rather than mid to high priced free agents.

12 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Not worried it was a question? Allen wont get 30mil plus? Hopkins just sign and will be getting on avg 25mil, Diggs isnt going to want the same?

Allen is getting $40,000,000+, but his cap number won’t be that big for a few seasons.  The salary cap is more of a suggestion than a law.  There are always ways around it.  I’ve discussed it in other threads, but Beane is going to have to be much stingier with his draft capital going forward.  No more blowing high picks on slow RBs or 6th rounders on Ks.  

The draft isn’t about filling out a roster.  This isn’t fantasy football.  You’ve got to take players who can potentially be difference makers and then fill in the gaps with scrubs off the street, players poached from practice squads, etc.  Then you’ve got to play the comp pick game.  Don’t go signing some mid level guy that doesn’t move the needle if it’s going to negatively impact the comp formula.

I really like what McBeane has done to this point, but this is the one glaring hole I see in their performance to this point.  They still have to prove that they can pan for gold.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBobs said:

As if we are the first team to have two top players on the roster that we want to retain. SMH

If you're not just trolling -- I'd expect to see a lot fewer free agent signings of the type we saw last season. It's going to be rookies, resigning our own impact players, and rolling the dice on veteran minimum type players or players with injury or character concerns to fill out the roster rather than mid to high priced free agents.

not trolling show me a team with a 30mil QB and a 20mil WR that consistently contends?

• Eyeroll 2

35 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

There is no doubt Diggs is going to ask for more money. Deandre Hopkins yearly salary is going to be nearly twice that of diggs. Diggs is going to ask for more money,

23 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Hopkins just sign and will be getting on avg 25mil, Diggs isnt going to want the same?

Diggs just finished year 2 of a 5 year contract that he just signed. He already thought he was the best WR in the league when he signed it.

We are at least another season away from him asking to re-do the deal. And could probably get ahead of it by simply making his remaining 3 years fully guaranteed (right now he has NO guaranteed money left).

We have a couple years to figure it out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Diggs just finished year 2 of a 5 year contract that he just signed. He already thought he was the best WR in the league when he signed it.

We are at least another season away from him asking to re-do the deal. And could probably get ahead of it by simply making his remaining 3 years fully guaranteed (right now he has NO guaranteed money left).

We have a couple years to figure it out.

I agree and Hope But when your the 16th highest paid at your position, and just had the season you did you and your agent are going to realize you're underpaid. Again look what happened with Hopkins.

Just now, dbfla10 said:

I agree and Hope But when your the 16th highest paid at your position, and just had the season you did you and your agent are going to realize you're underpaid. Again look what happened with Hopkins.

What happened with Hopkins? He was further along in his 5 year deal, and his cap hits for this year and next year are $7M and $12M, right in line with Diggs deal.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

You all realize Mahomes only accounted for 5mil towards the cap this year. So using him as an example doesnt work

Josh will count for similar until after his 4th or fifth year just like Mahomes did.  So we've got a year or two to really worry about it.  Diggs has earned a raise, but he just had his contract redone THIS year, so my guess if he gets his redone it's not going to be at that 25 million dollar level (I'm not saying he's not worth it.)

• Like (+1) 1

Seems like people are missing that QBs on rookie deals sign EXTENSIONS and not new contracts. Therefore if Allen signs a new deal this offseason it doesnt mean his cap hit will explode for this coming season. It will still be manageable for two seasons before it kicks in. Go take a look at Carson Wentz and see what his cap hit was in 2019, 2020 compared to what it will be this year even though he signed his deal in 2019 for example.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Captain Caveman said:

Josh will count for similar until after his 4th or fifth year just like Mahomes did.  So we've got a year or two to really worry about it.  Diggs has earned a raise, but he just had his contract redone THIS year, so my guess if he gets his redone it's not going to be at that 25 million dollar level (I'm not saying he's not worth it.)

Makes sense to me, hopefully thats how it plays out

1 minute ago, Captain Caveman said:

Just a note that we didnt really re-do his contract. We just moved some money up to this year since we had cap space this year, and reduced it down the line.

"the Bills are increasing Diggs' 2020 compensation by $3.3 million (now $14.8 million). Buffalo is also reducing Diggs' 2021 cash by $300,000, but increasing the guarantee by $7.7 million -- making it a total of $11 million. Additionally, the Bills reduced Diggs' 2022-23 cash from $25.55 million to $22.67 million"

40 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

what team has a 30plus mil QB and a 25mill WR?

Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams. 

Also, why are you crying about this again? Diggs is under contract for 3 years. Plenty of teams pay both WR and QB.

A bad year for those wanting to break contracts to get more money, even if the performance is there.  With the CAP likely going down, there will be carnage on the rosters, and a lot of vetrans will be w/o jobs.  Good news for the 2021 draftees, most will stick if they can play at all as they will be cheap.  Even good news for undrafted free agents.  It going to make many vetrans who think they can get more to settle for the vet minimum....if they are so lucky to get an offer.  guys like Allen will get theres....and, eventually, so will Diggs to some degree.  Of course, Diggs could pull a Jason Peters or a Jarious byrd, but, this time around,  we have seen that move, and I hope Beane has the answer.  I think the answer is let them sit, although, we learned they can report late and play lousy.  In the NFL, nobody honors their contract if they have a case for more money.  this time around, though, there may not  be loose  change around to do that I am thinking.  Look for  Diggs to show the last week of training camp.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams. 

Also, why are you crying about this again? Diggs is under contract for 3 years. Plenty of teams pay both WR and QB.

Rodgers wasnt over 30 and Adams wasnt near 20... 

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Question for you: Which WRs are making $25M? Are there many of them? Or is the Hopkins contract, much like his trade deal, an anomaly?

possibly but there are enough making over 20m, and if you think youre the best youre gonna want to be the highest paid... Hopkins set the new bar IMO

2 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

possibly but there are enough making over 20m, and if you think youre the best youre gonna want to be the highest paid... Hopkins set the new bar IMO

Who?

Not Tyreek Hill. Not Davante Adams. Not Mike Evans.

Edited by DrDawkinstein