FA Wish List

On 1/26/2021 at 3:52 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh I absolutely agree that Hilton is not an improvement over Brown.

But talking strictly about Brown, he'll be 31 soon and coming off a leg injury. Didnt contribute much to our playoff run. And is set to make $9.5M next year. I think we can find a cheaper replacement and upgrade his speed while doing so.

Agree totally. I'm honestly excited about Stills. Kid can fly. 

On 1/26/2021 at 3:27 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Fair enough take, I have no idea what Ross's market value will be. But I dont think Brown has done much more in his career, and he got that contract. Free Agency is a WILD ride where guys get crazy contracts.

In 4 seasons Ross has a total of 51 receptions for 733 yards and 10 TD's.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:53 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

We need more speed, so I would love to sign TY Hilton as a replacement for Brown. 

That would give us Diggs, Hilton, Beasley, and Davis. I like that a lot. 

we have speed, we need physicality. KC  mugged our receivers all game and we couldn't do anything about it. Our defense could not do that do to lack of size and that was the difference in the game.

Also our oline is not physical enough and is why we cant run. We are a passing team but a better run game makes us more versatile and opens up the passing game.

• Agree 1

I tend to post every year that we shouldn’t be browsing the top 5-10 players at these position groups. 
We aren’t gonna target the top guys. 
It’s fun to think of adding all these top free agents but for as many people who do mock drafts I can never understand why more don’t do free agent homework. 
Ross is a decent flyer option I seen. But mostly everyone just chats the top names and most expensive contracts which almost never happens. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Top of the list is a premier pass rusher.  Figure out how to get JJ Watt would be nice.  S Barret or even Clowney.  And you need to keep Hughes.  This is the difficult task for Beane.

Next is a veteran good  TE.  Someone like Ertz would be ideal.  Maybe H Henry.

An upgrade at RB - Harris or Etienne in the draft.

• Haha (+1) 1

Buffalo should pick-up the 5th year option on Allen before any extension is done, would allow us to have an agreement in place for when the cap situation is in place and save some money upfront extension wise.

There will be massive cuts across the league, a guy like Julio Jones could come available. 

Ideally we resign Feliciano and Williams, I'd leave LB for the draft, I love Milano but the tweet that was out regarding Beane and Milano comes across as Milano has a number and we aren't going to match that number so if you can get it in free agency then go get paid. I think we'll see a depth corner signing, maybe a low tier lineman, and maybe and edge guy. I think we're going to get creative and move Oliver to the LE spot where he can focus on edge and outside run contain (his strength) while letting Butler and Star go to work inside. That allows Klein and Edmunds to roam free of any wash and watch our run d sky rocket. My sneaky picks so far, 30 trade down into the second and pick up Brevin Jordan, Chazz Surratt in round 2 and in the third hope that Quincy Roche falls to us

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Top of the list is a premier pass rusher.  Figure out how to get JJ Watt would be nice.  S Barret or even Clowney.  And you need to keep Hughes.  This is the difficult task for Beane.

Next is a veteran good  TE.  Someone like Ertz would be ideal.  Maybe H Henry.

An upgrade at RB - Harris or Etienne in the draft.

I mean, yeah those guys you mention would be nice additions...because they're the TOP guys available at their positions in FA and the draft. Sure it's possible the Bills target one of your FA suggestions, but doing so would necessarily shut the door on the other position being addressed with that same caliber of player (and would probably also mean a few other prominent roster members are traded or more likely waived). 

What happens with LB, OG, and OT in this scenario?

The upgrade at RB in the 1st round of the draft is fine by me, but if we're forced to open up other roster holes due to FA signings and/or cap casualities, then that pick does not address one of those holes or the o-line (which you don't mention). 

I don't hate the idea of sacrificing depth for more dangerous starters at some key positions, but it doesn't strike me as the McBeane plan.

8 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

Buffalo should pick-up the 5th year option on Allen before any extension is done, would allow us to have an agreement in place for when the cap situation is in place and save some money upfront extension wise.

This has been addressed in other threads today, but I understand why this thought persists. We've got two more years of "control" with Allen, so why throw money at him now? Well, the answer is that doing so after year 3 would mean that year 4 and the year 5 option would remain unchanged before the newly signed extension truly kicks in, at least on an annual salary basis. The team would advertise some absolutely massive figures for term and annual salary and most importantly GUARANTEED MONEY, but in reality much of the cap impact is spread out over the total life of the contract and doesn't do a whole lot annually until the player's 6th year. 

The player gets an obscene check up front and the guarantee of a couple more big lumps along the way, no matter what. Eventually his game checks get pretty effing stupid, too. The team hopefully gets two more years of cap savings relative to on-field performance, followed by well established and reliable excellence from the most important position in sports that will overcome cap limitations elsewhere on the roster.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This has been addressed in other threads today, but I understand why this thought persists. We've got two more years of "control" with Allen, so why throw money at him now? Well, the answer is that doing so after year 3 would mean that year 4 and the year 5 option would remain unchanged before the newly signed extension truly kicks in, at least on an annual salary basis. The team would advertise some absolutely massive figures for term and annual salary and most importantly GUARANTEED MONEY, but in reality much of the cap impact is spread out over the total life of the contract and doesn't do a whole lot annually until the player's 6th year. 

The player gets an obscene check up front and the guarantee of a couple more big lumps along the way, no matter what. Eventually his game checks get pretty effing stupid, too. The team hopefully gets two more years of cap savings relative to on-field performance, followed by well established and reliable excellence from the most important position in sports that will overcome cap limitations elsewhere on the roster.

From my understanding, if we extend Allen this offseason, it nullifies the 5th year option as we've put a contract in place of that option, which means we have the extension starting at the end of next season but his bonus money would be upfront this season. Again that's just my understanding of how the extension works. For instance, Tre gets paid salary starting next season I believe (or did we pick up the 5th year option first?) So his bonus money was accounted for with this season and then his new salary would start this year.

**Okay so I was on the right path, but I see where I went wrong. So yes in theory extending Allen now "helps" but we have to put half of his salary in bonus money and divide it over the amount of years (with a maximum of 5 years), OR you go the Julio Jones route which is minimal base salary and majority bonus over 5 years, the bonus can be averaged out where the base can be miniscule to start and slowly rise up.

Edited by Monty98
Corrected my self after researching

On 1/26/2021 at 12:51 PM, warrior9 said:

I'd love to take a look at Malik Hooker, Karl Joseph, Keanu Neal. All guys that are safeties, high prospect talent that may do well with a change of scenery. I think Malik Hooker would be great here with better coaching. 

I don't see how Tenn let's him walk but if they do... Jonnu Smith. 

If Indy let's him walk.... Marlon Mack would be a great addition to this offense.

I'd also bring Hassan Reddick, De'Vondre Campbell, and Anzalone in for a visit, at least.

I'd like to see us at least take a look at Denzel Perryman too. May allow us to kick Edmunds outside (if they decide that's the route they want to go).

Unfortunately, I don’t think the Titans will be able to sign Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith.

I’d prefer the Titans sign Corey, but I can see a team outbidding us. He is a VERY solid #2. His route running has really improved and has very reliable hands. 

Jonnu is an athletic freak that has a chance to take it the distance on any given play and is a redzone monster. However, his route running leaves a lot to be desired. 

Honestly, I expect the guy we don’t retain to end up on the Bills. 

2 hours ago, gaskill15 said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think the Titans will be able to sign Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith.

I’d prefer the Titans sign Corey, but I can see a team outbidding us. He is a VERY solid #2. His route running has really improved and has very reliable hands. 

Jonnu is an athletic freak that has a chance to take it the distance on any given play and is a redzone monster. However, his route running leaves a lot to be desired. 

Honestly, I expect the guy we don’t retain to end up on the Bills. 

Yeah, I would assume that as well.

I think Corey Davis will be cheaper than John Brown, as well. Although we're trying to update speed and I'm not really sure Corey gets us there. 

Jonnu is a fast TE / Big that is something like the Bills need. I'd love a lot of 2 TE sets with Knox and Jonnu (assuming Knox takes a big step)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Yeah, I would assume that as well.

I think Corey Davis will be cheaper than John Brown, as well. Although we're trying to update speed and I'm not really sure Corey gets us there. 

Jonnu is a fast TE / Big that is something like the Bills need. I'd love a lot of 2 TE sets with Knox and Jonnu (assuming Knox takes a big step)

For what Corey lacks in speed (and he’s not show by any means), he makes up for in route running. He also works his ass off from a blocking perspective too. 

From what I’ve seen of the Bills this year, Jonnu is essentially Dawson Knox with hands. 🙃

1 hour ago, gaskill15 said:

For what Corey lacks in speed (and he’s not show by any means), he makes up for in route running. He also works his ass off from a blocking perspective too. 

From what I’ve seen of the Bills this year, Jonnu is essentially Dawson Knox with hands. 🙃

Dawson Knox got "better" this year with his hands. Putting these two together could be a great combo. 

Similar to a Walker/ Davis pairing, IMO.

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I mean, yeah those guys you mention would be nice additions...because they're the TOP guys available at their positions in FA and the draft. Sure it's possible the Bills target one of your FA suggestions, but doing so would necessarily shut the door on the other position being addressed with that same caliber of player (and would probably also mean a few other prominent roster members are traded or more likely waived). 

What happens with LB, OG, and OT in this scenario?

The upgrade at RB in the 1st round of the draft is fine by me, but if we're forced to open up other roster holes due to FA signings and/or cap casualities, then that pick does not address one of those holes or the o-line (which you don't mention). 

I don't hate the idea of sacrificing depth for more dangerous starters at some key positions, but it doesn't strike me as the McBeane plan.

Yes, I think we could use a top quality pass rusher.  And yes this is an allocation of resources dilemma.  I just don't think this position can be done through the draft for an immediate upgrade, whereas some of the other positions RB, OL, and LB could be.

It may not seem like the McBeane way so far, but they do adapt, and may in this instance, if they view the situation as I do.

• Like (+1) 1