FA Wish List

34 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

Let's sign Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny while we are at it with cap space we don't have while we are at it.  

If the cap is at $180 million you will have to cut or restructure a ton of guys in order to be active in free agency even if you let Milano, Williams, and Feliciano walk.   That $8.75 mil in cap space we could have saved if we cut Trent Murphy at the end of camp would look awfully good right now.

Santa is out of shape and the bunny has availability issues... pass

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

what!?!?

ross hasn’t done anything in his career to get John Brown level money. Ross should be 1 year 1.5-2M at max.

Fair enough take, I have no idea what Ross's market value will be. But I dont think Brown has done much more in his career, and he got that contract. Free Agency is a WILD ride where guys get crazy contracts.

1 hour ago, dbfla10 said:

How exactly can the bills afford this?

I am anticipating that due to the lower cap and the number of teams that are cash strapped, we will actually see more guys try to take short 1 and 2-year deals, to wait until the market re-sets. 

That may make the Bills a more attractive destination.  Come to a winning team for a few years to then hit a homerun on a huge deal in 2 years. 

my hope is we are targeting some of the stop-gap type of free agents. 

18 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bills could cut Jefferson, Hyde, Brown, Butler, Star, and Hughes and only have about 18 million.

They very likely won’t cut Hyde, Brown, or Hughes.

It’ll be a quiet summer unless the Commish works something out and frees up some mula

Yeah, the great thing is, we don't NEED splash/ big name players. I think moving forward, we're going to have to get those in the draft. We need depth at DL/Pass/CB. 

Again, looking at how KC is built and more of the "better teams" around the NFL, they're very top heavy in terms of cap distribution. 

• Like (+1) 1

Biggest needs: Pass rusher and LB (LB's) if Milano leaves

Potential Need: OL lots of potential change. Only locks right now are Dawkins, Ford, Boettger. Morse is under contract but would not be surprised to see him cut or a surprise retirement. Feliciano, Williams, Winters, Nsekhe

Debatable Need: RB and TE

26 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bills could cut Jefferson, Hyde, Brown, Butler, Star, and Hughes and only have about 18 million.

They very likely won’t cut Hyde, Brown, or Hughes.

It’ll be a quiet summer unless the Commish works something out and frees up some mula

Star actually hurts the cap to cut. But cutting the other guys is actually more like $30-35M in savings. So you could argue replacing them with 2-3 high priced free agents and a few rookie/low priced contracts would be an upgrade. Not suggesting it is going to happen but possible and workable.

Just now, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Injury doesn't permanently detract from a players speed. Unless its a serious one. 

Saying Hilton > Brown is a stretch that's all I'm saying. TY is no longer elite level talent. 

Oh I absolutely agree that Hilton is not an improvement over Brown.

But talking strictly about Brown, he'll be 31 soon and coming off a leg injury. Didnt contribute much to our playoff run. And is set to make $9.5M next year. I think we can find a cheaper replacement and upgrade his speed while doing so.

• Like (+1) 2

So, cutting Mitch Morse, Mario Addison, John Brown, Jerry Hughes and Vernon Butler saves the Bills 33M, and has them at 35M of cap space. If you assume 178M (we carry over 3M from 2020) that leaves you with 36 players. Add 8 draft picks, assume 2 of them goto the practice squad/cut, and you have 42 players, so need to add 12 more.

Of the Bills F/As, they'll likely want to bring back Feliciano, Daryll Williams, Milano, Andre Roberts and Isiah McKenzie.

Feliciano might get moved to Center, but he'll get guard money. And perhaps James Carpenter as a reasonable analog?  So that's 5.5M in a cap hit

Williams won't get Mitchell Schwartz money, so we'll give him a 7M cap hit

Milano is your big hitter here, he won't get Mosley money, and perhaps not close to it...but I'd put hi, between 7-10M cap hir range, but lets be generous to the Bills and say 7

We'll give Andre Roberts a 2M cap hit, and Boettger might get you a 2M hit as well.

So now, we're upto 40 rostered players + 6 draft picks = 46. Of our 35M in space we've used up 25M, which the Bills need to sign 8 players.

First, elevate Dane Jackson (CB), Kenny Stills (WR), Trey Adams (OT), and Antonio Williams (RB/ST) to first team contracts. These are all depth players. adding about 4M total to the cap. Down to 19.

From here, the Bills need - either from draft or F/A

Guard

EDGE

CB

RB

And then backups from several other positions.

Without some serious magic it's going to be tough for the Bills to sign anyone signifcant in F/A, assuming the Cap stays at 175M.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Injury doesn't permanently detract from a players speed. Unless its a serious one. 

Saying Hilton > Brown is a stretch that's all I'm saying. TY is no longer elite level talent. 

I think Hilton and Brown are on equal speed terms. I think Hilton is a better reliever than Brown. Hilton got screwed with Rivers, he can’t throw the ball downfield enough for Hilton to have good numbers. 

I wouldn't say he's on my wishlist and I have no idea what kind of contract he might get, but if we wanted to replace Isaiah McKenzie and also add receiving to the backfield in one swoop (and were nervous you couldn't do this via the draft), we could theoretically return to the Carolina Pipeline and target Curtis Samuel. It took 4 years, but Carolina finally realized that he was best utilized as a short-yardage guy/gadget guy and he responded with by far his best season as a pro.

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I wouldn't say he's on my wishlist and I have no idea what kind of contract he might get, but if we wanted to replace Isaiah McKenzie and also add receiving to the backfield in one swoop (and were nervous you couldn't do this via the draft), we could theoretically return to the Carolina Pipeline and target Curtis Samuel. It took 4 years, but Carolina finally realized that he was best utilized as a short-yardage guy/gadget guy and he responded with by far his best season as a pro.

I really hope we find a way to keep McKenzie. He was underutilized all season, especially in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Yeah, the great thing is, we don't NEED splash/ big name players. I think moving forward, we're going to have to get those in the draft. We need depth at DL/Pass/CB. 

Again, looking at how KC is built and more of the "better teams" around the NFL, they're very top heavy in terms of cap distribution. 

Agreed! Hughes and Addison prob stay, add an athletic young DE across to sub and we are in good shape.

Heck, he may be on the team already, just playing a different position...

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Star actually hurts the cap to cut. But cutting the other guys is actually more like $30-35M in savings. So you could argue replacing them with 2-3 high priced free agents and a few rookie/low priced contracts would be an upgrade. Not suggesting it is going to happen but possible and workable.

Unless I’m missing something it’s no where near 30-35 million of 2021 Cap savings. You use sportrac? I very easily may have made a mistake!

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Unless I’m missing something it’s no where near 30-35 million of 2021 Cap savings. You use sportrac? I very easily may have made a mistake!

Here are the savings numbers per Sportrac:

Brown - $7.93

Hughes - $7.35

Butler - $6.82

Jefferson - $6.5

Hyde - $5.11

So roughly - $33M