Was that our easiest playoff loss to take?

Success

I think about the '90's, and every one was rough.  We were a better team than the Giants in '90, and should have won that game.  The other SB losses were just brutal, on so many levels.  Even later on, I thought we were better than Pittsburgh, but didn't have Bruce, and Kelly was hurt (and there were some bad calls in that one).

We were better than Jax 3 years ago, and better than Houston last year - and losing a 16 point lead was tough to deal with afterwards.

Those losses all stuck with me for a much longer period of time, and took at least a week to get over.  I'm already over KC, which I never would have guessed prior to the game. I thought we were at their level, but we're not. They're more experienced and better.  I feel like we lose that game 8 out of 10 times.

I also realized how one-dimensional we are right now.  Take away our pass game, and we're not beating you with the run or our defense.  I guess because of our history, I have always felt that I didn't want to get to a SB without at least a little more balance.  It almost feels like a relief, especially with Brady waiting there.

It also helps that it feels like this is just the start of a long run.  And we finally have an awesome QB in JA, a great GM, and excellent coaching.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not really. We failed at pass pro in both games against the Chiefs while 31 other teams seemingly had no issues against them. Kinda pisses me off to be honest. You already saw what they were going to do and you struggled with it once. Had 3 months to figure it out and the same thing happened?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Maybe... But it was eye opening to me just how good KC is. And it got me a little worried that even though we have a really good team, KC is not going away and it is going to be an extreme struggle to get past them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

It wasn't easy to take, but the Chiefs are on a completely different level than us and the rest of the NFL right now.  If we had lost to a team that we were clearly better than, with a trip to the SB on the line, to me that would have been way more painful.  Now, it WAS painful watching the game Sunday as it felt like death by a thousand cuts, but the Chiefs being the Chiefs for some reason softens it for me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Reminded me of the SB against the Skins.  The Skins were dominant that  year and it would have taken a heroic effort to win.  I’m sad we lost Sunday, but I tip my hat to the Chiefs.  They are really really good.

I have told a few younger people that the game was very reminiscent of the last 3 Superbowls the Bills were in.

They were playing opponents who were favored.  The Bills made some noise early and gave hope.  Once the game was established they lost control of it and couldn't really compete.  4th quarter was just going through the motions waiting for the end with disappointment.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

It wasn't easy to take, but the Chiefs are on a completely different level than us and the rest of the NFL right now.  If we had lost to a team that we were clearly better than, with a trip to the SB on the line, to me that would have been way more painful.  Now, it WAS painful watching the game Sunday as it felt like death by a thousand cuts, but the Chiefs being the Chiefs for some reason softens it for me.

Agreed on all of that.  My OP wasn't clear on that point - watching the actual game was just as tough as watching any other big loss.  Very tough at the time.

I just think the circumstances made it easier to get over.  We're not at KC's level yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't think anything playoff loss is easy to take as it puts you into a long offseason. If I had to pick one I would pick Jacksonville a couple of years ago. That Bills team wasn't very good but they got in at 9-7 with some help from the Bengals. I was just happy to see them get in and end the streak. I had no expectations of a playoff run that year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Maybe... But it was eye opening to me just how good KC is. And it got me a little worried that even though we have a really good team, KC is not going away and it is going to be an extreme struggle to get past them.

KC was on cruise control all year. KC plays to the level of their competition. We brought out the best in them. 

the good news is we are right there with them. A few tweaks (maybe get the game at home) and who knows.  Great, great season. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It sucked Sunday night, but I was surprised how quickly I got over it.

We made my preseason expectations/demands of:

1. Win the Division

2. Win a playoff game

Anything past that was gravy.

It sucks to lose, but I also think it was the next lesson this team needed to learn.

I'll reference this:

1983 - Draft Jim Kelly.

1986 - He actually starts playing for us.

1988 - Bills go to AFC Championship and lose against Bengals

1989 - Ronnie Harmon drop, lose to Cleveland in Div round of playoffs

1990 - Dominate for 4 straight years

I certainly hope we dont have any "Ronnie Harmon"-type early exits next year. But I do think we are setup to be successful and in the dance for years to come.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I have told a few younger people that the game was very reminiscent of the last 3 Superbowls the Bills were in.

They were playing opponents who were favored.  The Bills made some noise early and gave hope.  Once the game was established they lost control of it and couldn't really compete.  4th quarter was just going through the motions waiting for the end with disappointment.

We should have won SB 1 and 4

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I wasn't that upset, because as much as it sucked to see, the Chiefs are other worldly. 

The Super bowl won't even be close. Enjoy watching Brady get crushed!

Just now, oldmanfan said:

We should have won SB 1 and 4

Yup. #1 and #4 were there for the taking. The Cowboys fully expected to lose in #4 (for the Bills) because Aikman was so concussed he didn't know the plays. But by then the team was so tight, waiting for the crushing mistake. The pressure was enormous to win.

That's what makes the chiefs even more dangerous.  there's no "yeah, but" anymore. A super team like that that is tight and also confident and plays loose is pretty close to unbeatable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I wasnt too upset either.

I dont take anything for granted... but there is a reasonable expectation that the Bills have a window of at least a few years with competent people running the show.  

Also, a part of me was kind of bumming out and panicking that our 'championship' might be won during a pandemic and nobody could really go out and enjoy it.  IF they are in the AFCC game next year, it will be a lot better, (if not at Home).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Because I think we exceeded expectations this season, it was easier getting over. However, from here on in, any playoff losses or God forbid missed playoff seasons are going to be excruciating. This season raised the bar considerably for the future.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1