the missing link - an Alvin Kamara-type player

On 1/26/2021 at 11:55 AM, Pete said:

The only RBs I would trade our #1 for is Saquan or Kamara.  Both are pass catching beasts and playmakers-exactly what our offense is lacking.  The value isn’t there otherwise.  We clearly need RB, CB, DE.  
I like the idea of trading back into second, and loading up top 100 picks.  That would enable us to fill those needs, perhaps also adding OL,TE, speed WR, etc

I posted that 3 hours ago

CMC, King Henry? 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:53 AM, dneveu said:

Drake had a lower yards per carry at the end of the year than Singletary and Moss.  He also had a lower yards per reception.

I personally think a better offensive line kinda cures a lot of what ails the rushing offense.  Everyone would love a Kamara - but I don't think he'd ever see 100 targets when 250 go to diggs and beasely.  Same goes with an ekeler type (Chargers are actually a worse rushing offense than buffalo). 

If there's a belief that kamara would help you beat the chiefs, I can understand the thought.  I don't think having him would have turned this team from 13-3 to considerably better.  But if you think that matchup is the difference I get it.  Personally I think they need to identify a better defensive strategy for RPOs.

However I'm not ready to condemn a player for a drop - did we condemn thomas for fumbling in the super bowl?  The offensive line failed down the stretch against blitzes, and couldn't generate much push in the run game.  There are 5 starters there, and buffalo hasn't spent a ton of draft capital there (Dawkins, Ford, Teller).  An infusion of talent there could help the group get younger and better.

Cause Ekler was injured majority of year. He INSTANTLY made that run game better,  I had him on fantasy so I was paying attention.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The missing link is a pass rush. They have to upgrade DE and Edge players. Easiest way to do that is to move Edmunds outside, develope Epenesa, add a veteran, and draft two guys.

This coming year is likely to be our best chance to win a SB imo.  If our plan to improve our pass rush is Epenesa and 2 draft picks, we’re likely not going to improve it enough....as you said, it’s our missing link. 

If we keep Addison, your proposal might be enough if we draft a pass rusher in rd 1.  I’d personally rather cut ties with him, Butler and maybe Jefferson, while adding a different pass rusher in FA.  Addison made some plays, but wasn’t good enough.

As of now, Patrick Jones, DE from Pittsburgh is the guy I hope is on the board and we select at 30. 

19 hours ago, spartacus said:

probably should also invest in an OC that is going to use both the RB and TE in the passing game to make the pick worthwhile

Hard to ask an OC to target the RB or TE position when we have trash at both positions. 

The Bills went 13-3 against a tough schedule and lost to a very good team in the AFC championship game. While it’s interesting to talk about who they should pick first, or second, the reality is they are in excellent position and there’s almost zero argument on the two or three roster spots that could use an upgrade. They’ll be fine. It’ll all come down to who’s been taken in free agency and who’s on the board when they pick. The exact order won’t make much of a difference. It’s not that exact of a science.

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This coming year is likely to be our best chance to win a SB imo.  If our plan to improve our pass rush is Epenesa and 2 draft picks, we’re likely not going to improve it enough....as you said, it’s our missing link. 

If we keep Addison, your proposal might be enough if we draft a pass rusher in rd 1.  I’d personally rather cut ties with him, Butler and maybe Jefferson, while adding a different pass rusher in FA.  Addison made some plays, but wasn’t good enough.

As of now, Patrick Jones, DE from Pittsburgh is the guy I hope is on the board and we select at 30. 

Works for me. Remember Epenesa had no OTA or training camp. He could be a lot better. Of course it is all speculation but he was felt to be a first round talent. I thought he was too fat and slow but he looked faster than I thought he would be and he cut a lot of weight.

As for the draft I’m adding at least two DE and maybe 2 more edge players if they do not move Edmunds outside and Milano walks.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Works for me. Remember Epenesa had no OTA or training camp. He could be a lot better. Of course it is all speculation but he was felt to be a first round talent. I thought he was too fat and slow but he looked faster than I thought he would be and he cut a lot of weight.

As for the draft I’m adding at least two DE and maybe 2 more edge players if they do not move Edmunds outside and Milano walks.

just don’t be disappointed when Edmunds stays inside.  I’d like to see how he plays on the outside as well, I just don’t think it’s going to happen

20 hours ago, spartacus said:

probably should also invest in an OC that is going to use both the RB and TE in the passing game to make the pick worthwhile

Daboll was TE coach for NE during Gronk’s prime. He certainly knows how to both use and feature a TE. But he needs horses to do it properly. I also feel like they have bent over backwards to get Knox involved. It hasn’t worked yet, but perhaps that’s because he’s young and still learning. He was a qb in HS. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Daboll was TE coach for NE during Gronk’s prime. He certainly knows how to both use and feature a TE. But he needs horses to do it properly. I also feel like they have bent over backwards to get Knox involved. It hasn’t worked yet, but perhaps that’s because he’s young and still learning. He was a qb in HS. 

My enthusiasm for Knox is tempered from watching his awkward play but I agree that he could certainly improve and there is recent Bills precedent.    

In 2018 Logan Thomas was a Bill and a joke on this board.

In 2020 the NFL's reception leading TE's :  

1. Darren Waller

2. Travis Kelce

3. Logan Thomas 

Thomas is up there with Wyatt Teller in the "one's that got away" from Beane category.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 1/26/2021 at 8:35 AM, dave mcbride said:

I know, I know, guys like him are hard to find. But a RB who is both a talented runner and an excellent receiver out of the backfield would take the Bills' passing game to an even higher level (not to mention the running game). The Bills' passing game is awesome, but it's awfully reliant on WRs. Is there anyone with a Kamara profile in this year's draft? If not, Kenyon Drake--a free agent who turns 27 today--would be my target. He's not Kamara, but his game is similar, and he probably has 2-3 good years left in him.  

Travis Etienne from Clemson is exactly what you’re asking for.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My enthusiasm for Knox is tempered from watching his awkward play but I agree that he could certainly improve and there is recent Bills precedent.    

In 2018 Logan Thomas was a Bill and a joke on this board.

In 2020 the NFL's reception leading TE's :  

1. Darren Waller

2. Travis Kelce

3. Logan Thomas 

Thomas is up there with Wyatt Teller in the "one's that got away" from Beane category.

I liken Thomas’ season to The 89-90 nba season when Tony Campbell was 13th in the nba in scoring averaging over 23 points a game for the lowly timberwolves.  Someone had to take the most shots a team with limited scorers.  Tony was that guy.  Someone has to catch the passes on a team with limited pass catchers.  Logan was that guy.  

He’s better than I thought he would be, but i wouldn’t be talking about him in “one’s that got away” terms

• Disagree 1

On 1/26/2021 at 8:21 PM, TheBrownBear said:

RB is a huge need for sure.  Singletary regressed badly this season.  I was expecting a huge year from him and he just flat out didn't perform.  His drop on Sunday night changed the entire complexion of the game.  He had a 20 yard gain ahead of him.  At worst we kick a field goal and extend the lead to 12-7, but if he catches that and we go in and add a TD - everything changes, imo.  That play literally took the wind out of our sails.  You could see it on the body language of the entire team.  

Our run blocking regression was even more profound, and is the  majority of the reason both our RBs are mediocre on a good day, as I stated up thread, the loss of Spain and Ford on the O line, has been more than noticeable in our meager run game.  Now don’t get me wrong,  a “better” RB would be nice, but an O line that can run and pass block at will is substantially better..., 

The game is won and lost in the trenches, this truism persists because it’s true...

Go Bills!!!

43 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Travis Etienne from Clemson is exactly what you’re asking for.

But he’s a first rd pick.  I feel we can get a similar talent in rd 2 or 3.  Gainwell and a Michael Carter are ballers imo.  Both very similar to etienne but won’t cost a 1st and surely weren’t carried by the talent around them

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But he’s a first rd pick.  I feel we can get a similar talent in rd 2 or 3.  Gainwell and a Michael Carter are ballers imo.  Both very similar to etienne but won’t cost a 1st and surely weren’t carried by the talent around them

I'm no college guru to be sure - but I just watched highlights of several RBs and Gainwell stood out. Actually, several did. Javonte Williams, Chubba Hubbard, Hawkins.

To your point, not necessary to go RB in 1st round. 

On 1/26/2021 at 10:39 AM, Big Turk said:

Najee Harris or Travis Etienne would look great in a Bills uniform...very likely one of them or both is available at 30.

I don´t see anything in Kenny Drake, close to a Kamara as the OP claims to see, I see it in both these guys, however coming from CLEMSON and Bama, and all the accolades players from those schools get, I would be surprised if they are still sitting at 30...

On 1/26/2021 at 11:38 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Don't even need him to be great catching the football. He must be explosive though. 

Explosive speed is needed on our offense, full stop.

We need to add different dimensions to the passing attack.

I would like to see it come from a big running TE first, but it can come out of the backfield too! 

It should not be limited in any way.

All resources go to this priority ahead of all others, at least if I'm running the team.