the missing link - an Alvin Kamara-type player

On 1/26/2021 at 7:42 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah that 36-3 stretch really exposed the Bills run game.:lol:

C'mon BadOl. 

1) It's neither rocket science nor outlandish to believe that if the Bills had a more multi-faceted offensive attack, perhaps we wouldn't have 2 punts and 2 fieldgoals and would have held the ball longer on offense, thus holding down that KC scoring frenzy.

2) it's just possible that McDermott and Beane (who believes the last game you play reveals your weaknesses) specifically mentioned the need to improve the run game because they believe it's a clear gap that would have helped us sustain drives instead of punt, and score TDs instead of FG.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

I'm usually a best player available guy but we are a Super Bowl caliber team that need just a couple pieces and because of that, I think we should focus on need 

That first pick should be either a 

RB

Pass Rushing DE

#2 CB

TE

LB (If we lose Milano)

We don't need much else

Dream scenario would be a Kamara type RB and a TE like Hunter Henry if we could snag him in FA

Edited by Buffalo03

9 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm usually a best player available guy but we are a Super Bowl caliber team that need just a couple pieces and because of that, I think we should focus on need 

RB

Pass Rushing DE

#2 CB

TE

LB (If we lose Milano)

We don't need much else

Dream scenario would be a Kamara type RB and a TE like Hunter Henry if we could snag him in FA

This is very optimistic IMO. We need a replacement for Star and maybe 2 DEs. Those guys aren't getting any younger and production was horrible. Ideally I'd like them to draft a true MLB and move Edmunds outside, but it's not going to happen. We looked like the Big 10 playing SEC speed against the Chiefs.   

On 1/27/2021 at 1:35 AM, dave mcbride said:

I know, I know, guys like him are hard to find. But a RB who is both a talented runner and an excellent receiver out of the backfield would take the Bills' passing game to an even higher level (not to mention the running game). The Bills' passing game is awesome, but it's awfully reliant on WRs. Is there anyone with a Kamara profile in this year's draft? If not, Kenyon Drake--a free agent who turns 27 today--would be my target. He's not Kamara, but his game is similar, and he probably has 2-3 good years left in him.  

Kamara was a 3rd rounder. If they can get someone like him there, I'd be thrilled.

IMO, TE is the bigger need, though.

I don't see us affording Drake this year, myself. $8M for one year last year. The demand will be down with many teams in cap trouble, so salaries will drop but my guess is that he still gets somewhere in the $5M neighborhood and I don't see us being able to be in the running this year.

9 hours ago, Trogdor said:

This is very optimistic IMO. We need a replacement for Star and maybe 2 DEs. Those guys aren't getting any younger and production was horrible. Ideally I'd like them to draft a true MLB and move Edmunds outside, but it's not going to happen. We looked like the Big 10 playing SEC speed against the Chiefs.   

We're likely to have Star himself, though nobody can be sure he won't opt out again. I don't see us trying to replace him as an early need, though supplementing the team with a guy with some of the same skills who could play on short-yardage downs and be groomed to be his long-term replacement would make a lot of sense.

Seeing how well the NFL handled COVID has to have calmed fears a bit in many optouts.

Pass rushers generally, would indeed seem to be a major need.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 1/27/2021 at 10:42 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah that 36-3 stretch really exposed the Bills run game.:lol:

In fact, it did. 

As Buscaglia pointed out, our lack of any run threat allowed the Chiefs D to use 6 DBs for most of the game. That will make it harder for any passing attack to be successful. 

So, yes, that "3" in the 36-3 may well have had something to do with the exposure of how little of a run game threat we showed.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

RB

Pass Rushing DE

#2 CB

TE

LB (If we lose Milano)

We don't need much else

B3, All the slots are perfect, but I said in another thread, Henry would be a perfect free agency add.  Any edge rusher or #2 CB would be a lot more than Henry’s $10.6.  His $10.6 mil. is possible, but then that means Milano walks.  I’ve said all week, you get something, you have to give something up.  TE’s don’t usually come out of a draft and just blow it up as a rookie.  You know Henry is a proven winner.  The other thing is of the doom and gloom cap comes to fruition, we might get him for less.

Using you're first two picks in either order based on their board for an Edge Rusher and CB is smart.  The only way you go for a RB in the first is if he is a game changer.  I agree all four spots are important, and everything after that is depth.  We were fortunate our 2020 later picks were valuable.  Bass will be our kicker barring injuries for a decade.  I firmly believe Dane Jackson will add to our DB depth for a long time as well.

We hopefully can find gems on the O Line and possible LB later in the draft.  One thing is for sure, if we went after Henry, that would be it for free agency other than just a guy at a bargain price.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We're likely to have Star himself, though nobody can be sure he won't opt out again. I don't see us trying to replace him as an early need, though supplementing the team with a guy with some of the same skills who could play on short-yardage downs and be groomed to be his long-term replacement would make a lot of sense.

Seeing how well the NFL handled COVID has to have calmed fears a bit in many optouts.

Pass rushers generally, would indeed seem to be a major need.

I just don't see Star as being any good. We were gashed often up the middle when he played, so I don't see the value like some posters do. He has rated as mediocre to poor since his rookie year and doesn't eat doubles like his size would imply. 

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

B3, All the slots are perfect, but I said in another thread, Henry would be a perfect free agency add.  Any edge rusher or #2 CB would be a lot more than Henry’s $10.6.  His $10.6 mil. is possible, but then that means Milano walks.  I’ve said all week, you get something, you have to give something up.  TE’s don’t usually come out of a draft and just blow it up as a rookie.  You know Henry is a proven winner.  The other thing is of the doom and gloom cap comes to fruition, we might get him for less.

Using you're first two picks in either order based on their board for an Edge Rusher and CB is smart.  The only way you go for a RB in the first is if he is a game changer.  I agree all four spots are important, and everything after that is depth.  We were fortunate our 2020 later picks were valuable.  Bass will be our kicker barring injuries for a decade.  I firmly believe Dane Jackson will add to our DB depth for a long time as well.

We hopefully can find gems on the O Line and possible LB later in the draft.  One thing is for sure, if we went after Henry, that would be it for free agency other than just a guy at a bargain price.

Good post, but my sense is that this is a pretty bad draft for edge rushers. I’m down for a good corner, however. You can never have enough of them in today’s NFL.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:52 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

C'mon BadOl. 

1) It's neither rocket science nor outlandish to believe that if the Bills had a more multi-faceted offensive attack, perhaps we wouldn't have 2 punts and 2 fieldgoals and would have held the ball longer on offense, thus holding down that KC scoring frenzy.

2) it's just possible that McDermott and Beane (who believes the last game you play reveals your weaknesses) specifically mentioned the need to improve the run game because they believe it's a clear gap that would have helped us sustain drives instead of punt, and score TDs instead of FG.

Exactly.  How do you think Belichick beat us in SB25. We had this unstoppable no huddle offense. So Bill & Bill came up with the strategy to keep Jim and Co. off the field.  The Giants destroyed us with TOP. They ran the ball down our throats and we couldn't get our offense on the field.  You gotta do the same thing with Mahomes. We must sustain drives and you can't do that without a run game.

10 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Look out for Demetric Felton.  Dynamic playmaker, good pass catcher and he'll be there in the mid-rounds of the draft.  

Trade down into the 2nd. Get an extra pick and grab this kid. I've seen every snap and he's very good.

11 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I just don't see Star as being any good. We were gashed often up the middle when he played, so I don't see the value like some posters do. He has rated as mediocre to poor since his rookie year and doesn't eat doubles like his size would imply. 

He really isn't any bigger than below average for a modern DT to be quite honest. Just sayin....

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Regarding Hunter Henry:

This is his 5th year in the league and he has yet to play a full season

2016: 1 game

2017: 2 games (lacerated kidney, knee) - last 2 games

2018: 16 games (ACL)

2019: 4 games (fracture of tibial plateau)

2020: 2 games (Covid)

Since one concern people express about trying to keep Milano is his injury history, wouldn't the same concern apply to Henry?

His Franchise tag is $10.6M, signing him would probably require the sort of "big FA splash" (and big guaranteed money) Beane said we wouldn't do

22 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly.  How do you think Belichick beat us in SB25. We had this unstoppable no huddle offense. So Bill & Bill came up with the strategy to keep Jim and Co. off the field.  The Giants destroyed us with TOP. They ran the ball down our throats and we couldn't get our offense on the field.  You gotta do the same thing with Mahomes. We must sustain drives and you can't do that without a run game.

The Bills didn't have a defense that was good enough to keep Mahomes off the field.    I thought Daboll did a poor job preparing the team for the playoffs late in the year.......he took a lot of low hanging fruit from teams that were mailing it in rather than sharpen his run game..........but they were going to need to make some stops on defense and they weren't coached/prepared well enough there to do that.    They gotta' become more multiple on defense.   That Giants team was built on a dominant front 7 and they literally went to a 3 man front in SB XXV...........that kind of system versatility is not something McDermott has ever shown.  

Everyone kills me running backs are dime a dozen or we really don’t need to spend a first on one. I will just say if there a dime a dozen we’re is our great back and if they don’t help sure look like to me when the colts and KC were killing us with backs and what about the saints it’s nice to know 3 and 2 you can pitch it to the back and get the first or break one tackle and get a big play. If I’m Buffalo I’m getting a running back and if it’s a stud so what if it’s in the first round come on guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 5:26 PM, delirious said:

I'll keep pounding the table for Kenneth Gainwell until the draft.  He was awesome at Memphis. 

The kid from Louisville mentioned earlier I think is a good one too

Like the look of Gainwell (and Hawkins from Louisville) a lot, we really need a speed element in our backfield.

It would be interesting to examine the differences between Gainwell and Darrell Henderson though as I thought he was an outstanding RB prospect out of Memphis a couple years ago and he hasn't done much at the NFL level yet (you could argue he hasn't gotten many opportunities in the Rams crowded backfield but still). Are you a Memphis fan and/or do you know if Gainwell might project differently as a pro? Thanks

7 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Like the look of Gainwell (and Hawkins from Louisville) a lot, we really need a speed element in our backfield.

It would be interesting to examine the differences between Gainwell and Darrell Henderson though as I thought he was an outstanding RB prospect out of Memphis a couple years ago and he hasn't done much at the NFL level yet (you could argue he hasn't gotten many opportunities in the Rams crowded backfield but still). Are you a Memphis fan and/or do you know if Gainwell might project differently as a pro? Thanks

Agreed. Gainwell is my guy.  Antonio Gibson was my guy last year.....sure wish we could’ve landed him.  Gainwell is a great receiver with incredible burst, just what we need

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, dave mcbride said:

I know, I know, guys like him are hard to find. But a RB who is both a talented runner and an excellent receiver out of the backfield would take the Bills' passing game to an even higher level (not to mention the running game). The Bills' passing game is awesome, but it's awfully reliant on WRs. Is there anyone with a Kamara profile in this year's draft? If not, Kenyon Drake--a free agent who turns 27 today--would be my target. He's not Kamara, but his game is similar, and he probably has 2-3 good years left in him.  

Drake never stays healthy. But I like the idea. And Ak was a 3rd round pick. That’s not why you don’t spend a 1st on Harris. They need speed badly in the backfield. 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, dave mcbride said:

probably should also invest in an OC that is going to use both the RB and TE in the passing game to make the pick worthwhile

• Haha (+1) 1