the missing link - an Alvin Kamara-type player

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Our missing link is the best dual threat running back in the league who set the single game rushing TD record and may be a hall of famer one day?

Yeah, I'd think a player like that would help. But maybe it's unrealistic to expect to get someone like that.

Have you watched Ettiene and Harris tape? 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I have zero emotional attachment to our current crop of RBs. They are like 7-9 / 6-10 seasons. Could be worse...but not considered good by any stretch. So I am all about getting an impact RB.

We just need to find one that excels when consistently hit 3 yards behind the LOS, in order to be a good fit for our system 😉

Joking aside, we need a 1-cut explosive back, but he will be wasted behind our current O-Line IMO.

We need to scheme/make holes first IMO, so I agree, we need a SERIOUS plan to address our Rushing attack and IMO, a new RB isn't going to solve all our problems.

I agree on the 1 cut and go type back.

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Have you watched Ettiene and Harris tape? 

Yes. They are college players. If we want to draft one, awesome. But we can't expect for them to come in and be Kamara.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Look at KC last year when took CEH at #32. I prefer to trade down all things considered. As to me picks 20-45 in most drafts are equally talented.

In my view, CEH is just a guy, and proves my point about RB’s not really being worth drafting high. 

chiefs have CEH—1st round pick—who looks pretty solid, but they have a guy in Darrel Williams who is just about in the same league, and he was undrafted.

that said, I am not opposed to a RB. What I am opposed to is moving off the order of the board to pick a RB in the 1st with a big name when we can probably get an upgrade either later in the draft or in FA. That was the Bills MO for years, reaching to get splash RB’s like Lynch, Spiller, and McGahee. I don’t like the strategy. 

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Another point about championships and rushing the ball: 

2018: NE was 3rd in rushing attempts and 5th in yards

2017: Philly was 6th in attempts and 3rd in yards

2016: NE was 3rd in attempts and 7th in yards

2015: Denver was 17th in attempts and 17th in yards (better than their passing numbers; they won with defense anyway)

2014: NE was 13th in attempts and 18th in yards

2013: Seattle was 2nd in attempts and 4th in yards

2012: Baltimore was 12th in attempts and 11th in yards

Last year, the Chiefs were 27th in attempts and 23rd in yards, and in 2011, the Giants were 22nd in attempts and 32nd in yards. Still, the majority of teams listed above do run the ball and most had great passing games too (Denver in 2015 was an anomaly). Seattle barely threw it 2014 (31st in the league in attempts), but they were 10th in TD passes and had a team passer rating of 102.4.

My point is, you can be a pass-first team, but when you absolutely need to turn on a run game in the playoffs in order to keep teams honest and your own attack balanced, you gotta have some horses. In three playoff games, the Bills' RBs ran it 30 times for 112 yards (3.7 ypc) and reeled off zero big plays. 

Ok.........but did any of those teams have a lead RB they had spent a first round pick on or had paid a lot for in UFA?

They didn't and the Bills can fix their running game without doing that as well.

I think my first step in improving the running game is replacing Mitch Morse with Jon Feliciano at center.  

Morse was done a disservice being moved to center by KC.   He got the one excellent contract but that's a guy who probably could have had a much longer career as a very athletic right tackle.   

56 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If Beane was going to make a trade I'd love to see us get Tarik Cohen from the Bears as think he the type of RB we need. 

I love cohen. I think that with a devalued rb and from a cap perspective, the rb stable will be draft picks and udfas. Draft the guy and only pay the rookie contract and let him leave...

If we can get a player like Najee Harris or Etienne, at #30 I'd be all-in. If we can't get a stud every-down back, we need a Thunder & Lightning. I think Moss can be the Thunder, but right now we have Thunder & Sleet (Singletary).

If Harris/Etienne are both gone at #30, we should draft Defense & get a speed RB in the 2nd or 3rd.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I know, I know, guys like him are hard to find. But a RB who is both a talented runner and an excellent receiver out of the backfield would take the Bills' passing game to an even higher level (not to mention the running game). The Bills' passing game is awesome, but it's awfully reliant on WRs. Is there anyone with a Kamara profile in this year's draft? If not, Kenyon Drake--a free agent who turns 27 today--would be my target. He's not Kamara, but his game is similar, and he probably has 2-3 good years left in him.  

You would be ok paying Kenyan Drake 8+ mill a year?  

I’d MUCH rather put that money into a FA at a different position and draft a RB in rd 1 or 2.  Lots of RBs in this draft that are better than Kenyan Drake with younger legs 

that being said.....I completely agree with you.  We need a true threat at RB

Edited by NewEra

2 hours ago, delirious said:

I'll keep pounding the table for Kenneth Gainwell until the draft.  He was awesome at Memphis. 

The kid from Louisville mentioned earlier I think is a good one too

What about UB's Patterson?  Dude was unstoppable for most of the past 2 years.

49 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok.........but did any of those teams have a lead RB they had spent a first round pick on or had paid a lot for in UFA?

They didn't and the Bills can fix their running game without doing that as well.

I think my first step in improving the running game is replacing Mitch Morse with Jon Feliciano at center.  

Morse was done a disservice being moved to center by KC.   He got the one excellent contract but that's a guy who probably could have had a much longer career as a very athletic right tackle.   

Well, Sony Michel, who was legit good in 2018. Seattle got a top ten draft pick for a song (Lynch), and I'm down for that if such a player is available for trade. I'm not saying spend a first rounder or early second rounder on a RB, by the way. That was never my point, but it can be a wise expenditure in certain situations.  

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It is a total waste. RB’s are a dime a dozen. 

People need to understand that when you draft around 30, the philosophy also changes. you really have to stick to your board. Oftentimes you can get one of the higher rated interior linemen or ILB or safety around there. The Bills can’t be reaching for gadget guys or niche players. 

I agree.....if we were picking too 15ish.  Love your takes miyagi.....not this one.  Not with this team we have 

We’re picking #30 and if etienne or Harris were to be there at 30, they WOULD be BPA.  Why would you call them a gadget guy or niche players?  That’s a terrible take on the players being discussed.

our offense was stopped because no one is scared of Motor or Yeldon. Moss isn’t much better.  The chiefs will line up and play us the same exact way next year if we don’t have a threat in the backfield.  Harris or Etienne would get more touches than Diggs.....that’s not gadget Or niche  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You would be ok paying Kenyan Drake 8+ mill a year?  

I’d MUCH rather put that money into a FA at a different position and draft a RB in rd 1 or 2.  Lots of RBs in this draft that are better than Kenyan Drake with younger legs 

that being said.....I completely agree with you.  We need a true threat at RB

You really think Drake gets that? I doubt it, but who knows?

55 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

In my view, CEH is just a guy, and proves my point about RB’s not really being worth drafting high. 

chiefs have CEH—1st round pick—who looks pretty solid, but they have a guy in Darrel Williams who is just about in the same league, and he was undrafted.

that said, I am not opposed to a RB. What I am opposed to is moving off the order of the board to pick a RB in the 1st with a big name when we can probably get an upgrade either later in the draft or in FA. That was the Bills MO for years, reaching to get splash RB’s like Lynch, Spiller, and McGahee. I don’t like the strategy. 

Lynch turned out to be a great pick (just not for the Bills, although he was quite good in his first two seasons)!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

You really think Drake gets that? I doubt it, but who knows?

That’s what spotrac predicts.  They predict Fournette gets the same.  Aaron Jones 14m, which I can’t see happening even though I do love his game. He’d be amazing in our offense....but no way we pay him that

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s what spotrac predicts.  They predict Fournette gets the same.  Aaron Jones 14m, which I can’t see happening even though I do love his game. He’d be amazing in our offense....but no way we pay him that

I'll believe those RB numbers when I see it. I just don't see teams spending a lot for the decline years of RBs, especially this year given the cap decline.

Edited by dave mcbride