the missing link - an Alvin Kamara-type player

I know, I know, guys like him are hard to find. But a RB who is both a talented runner and an excellent receiver out of the backfield would take the Bills' passing game to an even higher level (not to mention the running game). The Bills' passing game is awesome, but it's awfully reliant on WRs. Is there anyone with a Kamara profile in this year's draft? If not, Kenyon Drake--a free agent who turns 27 today--would be my target. He's not Kamara, but his game is similar, and he probably has 2-3 good years left in him.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

I don’t like burning a #1 on a RB, but I would not complain if we drafted Etienne.

I had been in the same exact boat as you until I realized how limited our passing game truly is without a weapon out of the backfield or a high level tight end.   We can't just go get a surefire tight end like that.  We can get a running back like that. 

I was dead set against using a high pick on a JK Dobbins or Jonathan Taylor, but Najee Harris or Travis Etienne.... they aren't just RB's.

Also, if we want an elite playmaker in the RB position with Josh Allen, there's only one way to do that.... by drafting one every 4 years. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 9

Just now, Rico said:

I don’t like burning a #1 on a RB, but I would not complain if we drafted Etienne.

I don't disagree, but at pick #29, I think it's OK if he's clearly a better player talent than the alternatives. It's strange to say that the Bills have a lot of needs, but they do. Of course, first world problems.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rico said:

It is a total waste. RB’s are a dime a dozen. 

People need to understand that when you draft around 30, the philosophy also changes. you really have to stick to your board. Oftentimes you can get one of the higher rated interior linemen or ILB or safety around there. The Bills can’t be reaching for gadget guys or niche players. 

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I know, I know, guys like him are hard to find. But a RB who is both a talented runner and an excellent receiver out of the backfield would take the Bills' passing game to an even higher level (not to mention the running game). The Bills' passing game is awesome, but it's awfully reliant on WRs. Is there anyone with a Kamara profile in this year's draft? If not, Kenyon Drake--a free agent who turns 27 today--would be my target. He's not Kamara, but his game is similar, and he probably has 2-3 good years left in him.  

Drake had a lower yards per carry at the end of the year than Singletary and Moss.  He also had a lower yards per reception.

I personally think a better offensive line kinda cures a lot of what ails the rushing offense.  Everyone would love a Kamara - but I don't think he'd ever see 100 targets when 250 go to diggs and beasely.  Same goes with an ekeler type (Chargers are actually a worse rushing offense than buffalo). 

If there's a belief that kamara would help you beat the chiefs, I can understand the thought.  I don't think having him would have turned this team from 13-3 to considerably better.  But if you think that matchup is the difference I get it.  Personally I think they need to identify a better defensive strategy for RPOs.

However I'm not ready to condemn a player for a drop - did we condemn thomas for fumbling in the super bowl?  The offensive line failed down the stretch against blitzes, and couldn't generate much push in the run game.  There are 5 starters there, and buffalo hasn't spent a ton of draft capital there (Dawkins, Ford, Teller).  An infusion of talent there could help the group get younger and better.

• Like (+1) 2

The only RBs I would trade our #1 for is Saquan or Kamara.  Both are pass catching beasts and playmakers-exactly what our offense is lacking.  The value isn’t there otherwise.  We clearly need RB, CB, DE.  
I like the idea of trading back into second, and loading up top 100 picks.  That would enable us to fill those needs, perhaps also adding OL,TE, speed WR, etc

I posted that 3 hours ago

10 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Drake had a lower yards per carry at the end of the year than Singletary and Moss.  He also had a lower yards per reception.

I personally think a better offensive line kinda cures a lot of what ails the rushing offense.  Everyone would love a Kamara - but I don't think he'd ever see 100 targets when 250 go to diggs and beasely.  Same goes with an ekeler type (Chargers are actually a worse rushing offense than buffalo). 

If there's a belief that kamara would help you beat the chiefs, I can understand the thought.  I don't think having him would have turned this team from 13-3 to considerably better.  But if you think that matchup is the difference I get it.  Personally I think they need to identify a better defensive strategy for RPOs.

However I'm not ready to condemn a player for a drop - did we condemn thomas for fumbling in the super bowl?  The offensive line failed down the stretch against blitzes, and couldn't generate much push in the run game.  There are 5 starters there, and buffalo hasn't spent a ton of draft capital there (Dawkins, Ford, Teller).  An infusion of talent there could help the group get younger and better.

Good post, but the thing about Kamara is that he is a great route runner, which is everything to me. He can run WR routes, RB routes, etc. I actually think Yelden is a decent receiving back, but the other two aren't. But Yelden is likely gone and is basically a JAG overall. I just think it adds another dimension to an offense that needs to get to KC's level in order to beat them. You have to account for a player like that on every play he's in there. 

As for Drake, I've seen enough over the years to think he's a good dual threat. His numbers were down this year, but they were excellent last year after he joined AZ. I doubt that's a result of physical decline. He has a solid 40 time, too, fwiw - 4.45. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

People need to understand that when you draft around 30, the philosophy also changes. you really have to stick to your board. Oftentimes you can get one of the higher rated interior linemen or ILB or safety around there. The Bills can’t be reaching for gadget guys or niche players. 

Look at KC last year when took CEH at #32. I prefer to trade down all things considered. As to me picks 20-45 in most drafts are equally talented.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

All RB's are not a dime a dozen.  The average ones are, but the great ones are major difference makers.  I don't think its worth it to pay big $ during free agency, but if you can get one on a rookie deal then its worth it.  Not saying I want one at #30 or that I think they should give up on Singletary/Moss, but if they think a stud is sitting there, it should definitely be in the discussion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills finished second in the NFL in scoring.

RB is not a position I would put much into...........they've expended two picks in round 3 on RB's which was two too many for anything short of a game changer.........now it's incumbent on the Bills All-world personnel department to find that big play guy late in the draft and UDFA.

I like the suggestion of some that McKenzie be used more out of the backfield.

Drake is an enigma.........I expect Moss will be a better player next year than Drake..........I know that's not the type of player you are looking for but just that I think Drake will be a bust wherever he goes.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

I'm high on Harris. Low on Etienne (think he is over-used already).

Part of me would love to see Harris make it to #30 for us. But another part of me thinks "Just keep picking RBs in the 3rd until you hit on one". There are too many successful late round and even UDFA RBs to use a 1st rounder on RB. I just dont think the value is there.

• Like (+1) 1