Does our O-Line Coach need to be replaced?

Big Turk

Seems pretty asinine on its face considering how well the OLine pass protected almost all year long, but let me float this out there.

The Bills have one objective for the next decade.  Do whatever they need to so they can beat KC.  Anything or anyone that hinders their ability to do this needs to be changed or replaced.  The Bills faced the Chiefs twice this season. First time the OLine had its worst game of the year.  OK, it must be a one off. Allen got pressured 55% of his dropbacks.  It happens, they must have done something we were not expecting.  Then we play them again in the playoffs and once again the OLine looks terrible and Allen is pressured the most in any playoff game since ESPN started tracking pressures in 2009 at 47% of his dropbacks.  Now it is becoming a trend. We can't block KC properly.

So either KC is suddenly the Steel Curtain against us and well below average against the rest of the league or our OLine is not being properly coached to block what they are doing. I recognize that against the 31 other teams in the league our OLine is pretty damn good, picking up blitzes with ease and giving Allen a lot of time most games. But none of that matters anymore.  We are in a position where if someone is hindering our ability to win a game against KC no matter how good they are against the rest of the league in helping us win, they have to go.  

That was the biggest reason for the loss in the KC game. Allen was under constant pressure all game long.  Can't have it. Not against a team that normally isn't good at it. They need to figure it out and fast, and if Bobby Johnson can't help get this problem fixed then he has to go because we cannot play KC again and give ourselves no shot in the game due to letting a poor pass rushing team look like the 1985 Bears.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Not at all.  One of the best in the business.

Then why can't he figure out how to get his players to block the Chiefs like every other team in the NFL seemingly is able to do pretty easily?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Then why can't he figure out how to get his players to block the Chiefs like every other team in the NFL seemingly is able to do pretty easily?

He got half of his players to block.  Feliciano got manhandled by  6'6 320 monster who may be the best DT in the league outside of Aaron Donald.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JackKemp said:

The issue is the Bills have no running game. Their backs do not read the holes very well. A good running back will make the line look better.

Najee Harris or Travis Etienne welcome to Buffalo?

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He got half of his players to block.  Feliciano got manhandled by  6'6 320 monster who may be the best DT in the league outside of Aaron Donald.  

Then double team him like we did when Heyward was wrecking the gameplan against the Steelers for most of the first half.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

No.

How can you expect to have a power run game with no FB and you’re constantly in 3-4 WR sets? I think Daboll needs to add some heavier sets to his repertoire. To do that, we need better TEs. Knox is a good #2, Buffalo needs a true #1 TE to make our offense more versatile. If you can pass effectively in heavier sets, how much easier would it be to run the football?

Just now, Victory Formation said:

No.

How can you expect to have a power run game with no FB and you’re constantly in 3-4 WR sets? I think Daboll needs to add some heavier sets to his repertoire. To do that, we need better TEs. Knox is a good #2, Buffalo needs a true #1 TE to make our offense more versatile. If you can pass effectively in heavier sets, how much easier would it be to run the football?

Spread them out and create a light box. Most teams don't even have a fullback anymore. Why would you want more people around the LOS if your goal is to run the ball? Never made any sense to me.

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Why stop there? Tear it all down...couldn't even win a simple AFC title game on the road against the defending superbowl champions....

Not the issue. We couldn't block an average at best Chiefs pass rush in either game. How many times are you willing to watch the same thing before you consider it a problem?

55 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Why in the first 18 games of the season did Allen have enough time back there to read a book before throwing?

I don't care how bad they looked against one team, you need to look at the complete body of work before making rash decisions like firing a coach.

Do think alot can be traced back to poor running game, which maybe the line coach is at fault for that.  But wouldn't fault him for Allen being under duress.  Also much easier for a D line to look reel good when team you're facing is 3 TD's behind and has no running game.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not the issue. We couldn't block an average at best Chiefs pass rush in either game. How many times are you willing to watch the same thing before you consider it a problem?

Last year they made the playoffs as a wildcard, lost their first game, and finished 10-7 overall with a fairly weak schedule. This year they won their division with the highest SOS of any playoff team, won their first two playoff games, made it to the AFC Championship game and lost to (until someone proves otherwise) the best team in football, and finished the year 15-4.  

I am confident that the coaching staff and the front office are more than capable of assessing the team and improving where they need to improve for next season - even if they didn't have the benefit of your wisdom on who should be fired....

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

No.

I agree with this.  Our idea of a "heavy set" always seemed to be to motion the TE into the backfield and then have him essentially play the role of a FB.  But it rarely seemed successful, particularly with Knox motioning into the backfield, because he doesn't really do much at the point of attack.  I've always been a fan of bringing in an extra tackle once in a while and even passing out of it (I've seen NE do that quite a bit in the past), just to keep the defense off balance.  My one criticism of Daboll is that he seems married to certain sets too much, which eliminates creativity. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Najee Harris or Travis Etienne welcome to Buffalo?

Then double team him like we did when Heyward was wrecking the gameplan against the Steelers for most of the first half.

Kenneth Gainwell!!!

That would be a knee-jerk reaction to let go of a guy who had a cement-shoed draft pick foisted on him for RT. And a lot of middling talent outside of Dawkins and Morse (whose play is more finess than physical most of the time).

Like other draftees Ford should be given time to improve, but his best fit is at guard sans a lot of pulling.

Draft better, need more physical interior players. Ike has done well, but guard to guard we should be looking at improving.

It's not like Mongo was not in position for most of the game. He just was not large or strong enough to handle his assignment on Jones.

I will say that Williams has to be a player that plays to the whistle especially the way Allen extends plays, but mostly he has been good at RT.

Draft better run blockers then keep them (Teller comes to mind).

While I know it's not really something our coaches do, at least not overtly, sometimes you have to look at the talent that is being coached, and say 'not good enough'.

It can be argued that the O-Line lost to 2 teams all season. The hail mary can't be put on them, and they had put us in the lead in that game. So, just the Titans and KC (Twice).

It seems pretty easy to blame the O-Line for our struggles against KC, yet I believe a lot of it was Allen not identifying the correct coverages needed. In either game.

I think that Josh will take a lot of long hard looks at the tape of both games, and figure out where he got things wrong.

It's also easy to blame position coaches, when the reality is that we were out coached on both sides of the football, at a co-ordinator level.

I would also make another observation, which would be what if KC is taken out by someone else in the playoffs, and we don't have to play them? Throw away a very good o-line coach, who has coached a line that has success against everybody else, to try and find one to have success against one team, who yuo might not actually have to face come the playoffs?