Offseason Primer Position Group: LB

MAJBobby

Great analysis @MAJBobby

I like the idea of locking up Edmunds right now, that would be a shrewd move on Beane's part.

The idea of Darron Lee becoming our new WLB is interesting. I could see McDermott giving him a chance.

I think that Milano is gone. We cannot give him top money. He's a good player, but his injuries are a concern.

I am absolutely clueless when it comes to LB's in college, I did not pay attention to that position at all this year, so I have a lot of research to do.

Looking forward to your next write-up!

Great analysis @MAJBobby!

Overall, this defense front 7 needs a new identity.  Agree with all your points about a collective front 7, and 2 real good LBs needed to make this defense work (although I wish McD would consider trends to 3 safeties, or dime looks).  

That said, Milano is a role player on our team and very good at it.  He doesn't dominate, but does his job.  Seems to be a great teammate too.  However, I think this team needs more intense, physical LBs.  Edmunds seems to be turning a corner, and he has physical traits that only few have.  Needs to get his mindset right though, which i think he will.

I'd let Milano walk.  Team then needs to determine if the draft or FA,  or combo,  is best suited to improve areas of the front 7.  If not FA, look for his replacement in Round 1 or Round 2. 

There are certain positions that you pay a premium or top dollar, even if the player isn't elite but really good.  WLB is not one of those positions, and Milano just isn't elite imo to offer that kind of money he will likely get.

Rebuild this front 7 should be priority #1 this offseason.  I trust it can be done, and we have a few pieces to work with.  But likely need an overhaul of 2-3 new starters. 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Waiting on the Senior Bowl, but there are a couple interesting Draft Prospects later  

But intrigued by

JaCoby Stevens, LSU - A SS Convert in the NFL. (have him as a 4th)

DeAngelo Malone WKU - Small school, but explosive athlete (have him as a 3rd)

Pete Werner OLB/ILB OSU.

Grant Stuard, OLB Houston - Senior Bowl will be big for him (5th grade)

This is the guy who be the ideal "big" nickel as he's played Safety at LSU so has some coverage skills and at 230 has LB size. To me he's an ideal Milano replacement. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

This is the guy who be the ideal "big" nickel as he's played Safety at LSU so has some coverage skills and at 230 has LB size. To me he's an ideal Milano replacement. 

Yeah that is what I was thinking when looking at him as well. 

@MAJBobby Andre Smith is not bolded in OP and misses a space between him and Phillips.

As for Milano, I said it in the past and I still think the same - he strikes me as a guy who doesn't care about money at all and will stay here for 8M AAV if that's what Bills offer.

This will be most interesting group in the offseason for sure. I expect something big to happen. I am not an expert, but one of the reasons we lost to Chiefs because we couldn't cover Kelce and in my understanding it has something to do with our LBs. So the only thing I don't think will happen that we will keep Milano and play the same scheme as last year. Either we don't keep Milano, or we trade for a MLB and move Edmunds outside, or we start playing 3LB sets, or we draft some LB stud in 1st round, or something. Not sure what will happen but there will be major changes.

@Dont Stop Billeiving @Solomon Grundy Apparently you guys are not only ones wanting this guy. Tankathon has him currently going as high as 18 to Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

@MAJBobby Andre Smith is not bolded in OP and misses a space between him and Phillips.

As for Milano, I said it in the past and I still think the same - he strikes me as a guy who doesn't care about money at all and will stay here for 8M AAV if that's what Bills offer.

But this will be most interesting group in the offseason for sure. I expect something big to happen. I am not an expert, but we lost to Chiefs because we couldn't cover Kelce and in my understanding in has something to do with our LBs. So the only thing I don't think will happen that we will keep Milano and play the same scheme as last year. Either we don't keep Milano, or we trade for a MLB and move Edmunds outside, or we start playing 3LB sets, or we draft some LB stud in 1st round, or something. Not sure what will happen but there will be major changes.

@Dont Stop Billeiving @Solomon Grundy Apparently you guys are not only ones wanting this guy. Tankathon has him currently going as high as 18 to Dolphins.

My Bad. Fixed. Thanks for letting me know guys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

This will be most interesting group in the offseason for sure. I expect something big to happen. I am not an expert, but one of the reasons we lost to Chiefs because we couldn't cover Kelce and in my understanding it has something to do with our LBs. So the only thing I don't think will happen that we will keep Milano and play the same scheme as last year. Either we don't keep Milano, or we trade for a MLB and move Edmunds outside, or we start playing 3LB sets, or we draft some LB stud in 1st round, or something. Not sure what will happen but there will be major changes.

Just saw Tankathon. I’d rather the Bills take Daviyon Nixon over Barmore. Nixon brought it every week. Barmore didn’t, but looked great in championship game 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Go get a MLB and let Edmunds compete on the outside.  He has FAILED in the middle. Why is this so hard for people to grasp?  We plugged in AJ Klein on the outside and he's old and slow...and nobody blinked.  This experiment with Edmunds has run it course.

I don’t agree one bit. And I really don’t agree he has failed. 

The fact of the matter is our LBs were exposed and were ineffective. Whether that was a product of a terrible game plan or Edmunds and Milano getting confused and being out of position. We need LBs that consistently put their stamp on games either stuffing runners or smothering QBs. Our LBs are fast and pretty good tacklers, but we need our LBs to be more physical and intimidating. 

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The fact of the matter is our LBs were exposed and were ineffective. Whether that was a product of a terrible game plan or Edmunds and Milano getting confused and being out of position. We need LBs that consistently put their stamp on games either stuffing runners or smothering QBs. Our LBs are fast and pretty good tacklers, but we need our LBs to be more physical and intimidating. 

The thing is though those LBers are becoming less and less in the NFL.  KC exposed the soft zone we played and we never adjusted that is the problem, Want to play that soft Zone, need a disruptive DL, That really is the problem in Buffalo is the DL., no premier pass rusher on either side, no base end to set the edge (looks how often we are gashed with outside runs), no 1 Tech to keep your MIKE clean.  I dont think our LBer group is an issue with or without Milano. 

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The thing is though those LBers are becoming less and less in the NFL.  KC exposed the soft zone we played and we never adjusted that is the problem, Want to play that soft Zone, need a disruptive DL, That really is the problem in Buffalo is the DL., no premier pass rusher on either side, no base end to set the edge (looks how often we are gashed with outside runs), no 1 Tech to keep your MIKE clean.  I dont think our LBer group is an issue with or without Milano. 

Although Hughes, Epenesa and Addison had bad games, LBs like JPP, Barrett, White and David all have influenced the outcomes of their playoff games. Bills LBs have been just OK. You want to stick the blame on an undersized Epenesa and Addison, setting the edge is just as much on safeties and LBs.

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Fully agree on bolded. But would love to hear your thoughts who do you consider premier pass rusher these days. How many of them you can count? Can you name them?

Thing is that these guys are hard to get :)

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

Fully agree on bolded. But would love to hear your thoughts who do you consider premier pass rusher these days. How many of them you can count? Can you name them?

Thing is that these guys are hard to get :)

See my original post Yannick is a premier pass rusher 

McD seems to value having 2 three down LBs in Milano and Edmunds.  Of the possible draftees this year, assuming Milano is not re-signed, are any these linebackers considered 3 down players?

My guess is they let Milano walk because they'll need money for more valued positions and WLB is an easier position to replace than others.