Sean McDermott end of season press conference 1/26 11am

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

If only we had drafted Dobbins instead of Epenesa we wouldn't have a glaring hole at RB. 

Instead we have a hole at RB and STILL have needs at DE. 

Epenesa was not great to me this year. 

I'll give Epenesa a pass for now, but agree that Dobbins would have been the right pick there.

Almost seems like Beane either panicked or was frustrated due to losing "his guy"  (Dugger) to the Pats, and just made a hasty pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'd like to get more physical on the interior of both sides of the ball. We have a finesse center and aren't physical enough inside on defense. These are problems that can be addressed in the offseason. Otherwise, keep adding speed in the backfield, on the edges and secondary especially. Finally, the lack of aggressiveness in our play is related to a large extent on playing passively on defense. We knew we had no chance matching up, had to game plan accordingly, and played without confidence as a result. These problems can all be addressed with the right additions and subtractions.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

6 minutes ago, DJB said:

If only we had drafted Dobbins instead of Epenesa we wouldn't have a glaring hole at RB. 

Instead we have a hole at RB and STILL have needs at DE. 

Epenesa was not great to me this year. 

I think between the first covid offseason and depth Epenesa was brought along slowly. But I never considered the pick was made for this year. I fully expect him to win a starting job next year and contribute. I’m no film junkie but I thought Epenesa was our most explosive guy the second half of the season in his limited snaps. 
He seemed to have pretty immediate pressure a lot and maybe the biggest thing I noticed is he’s always jumping when he’s not close to swat at the ball. If he becomes a legit starter it was a good pick. We all knew Murphy was gone and hughes and Addison  would be on their last legs in this defense 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont want to pay EITHER of those LBs $14M/yr.

I'd pick up Edmunds 5th year option to give him some time to prove it, and us some time to replace him.

I'm not paying Milano. I know he is "our best LB", but that isnt saying much. For someone who is supposed to be some great coverage LB, we get destroyed by TEs. Plus he is still a liability in open field tackling.

I'm drafting Milano's replacement this year, and looking for Edmunds replacement in 2 the 2022 draft.

With the TEs how much of that may be scheme allowing it? We make sure WRs don't beat us and there are many more good WRs vs TEs, is that the poison we pick? Just a thought, not married to it.

I'm not convinced we keep all of our picks and Beane would swing big I think in a normal year, if the cap stays around $175 as expected, we may need the picks to fill the team out. I know there has been talk of it spiking up to $200 (which would be awesome), but I wonder if that stops Beane from swinging or how the contracts will even be structured, low first year higher second and third years or a bunch of 1 year prive its or more guaranteed...

To be fair, I am not married to either of LBS

1 hour ago, Success said:

Personally, while I like more aggressive play and think McD was much more aggressive overall this season, I agreed w/ the more conservative decision of taking points at the end of the 1st half.  That was a long drive, and it would have been very demoralizing not to get some points there.  Get the points and regroup at halftime, with some momentum.

It's funny how hindsight works.  Reich DID go for it in the same situation a few weeks back, and was 2nd guessed all over the place for not taking the points.

Personally I agreed with going for the FG before the half.  Have to get points there or the team would be completely demoralized.  The FG towards the end of the game I disagreed with.  Need a TD there for sure.  A FG did nothing other than get us an onside kick.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No I just don't really listen to Sean. I am a huge McDermott fan. I absolutely do not mind his pressers being dull. I just don't bother listening unless I listen as a podcast on a run or something. 

Not as dull as Jauron's were.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

Not able to listen to the interview, but this is a BS statement. 

With all the moves we've made the last few years, we should be right where they are. The problem is we've missed on way to many high draft picks and free agent signings. 

Knox, singletary, edmunds, oliver, phillips, addison, butler, jefferson, norman, murphy, kroft. All 0 impact players. 

It's debatable about whether I fully agree with McD's assertion that comparing the Chiefs' team development and the Bills' team development, but you are way off base. Your assessment is plain ludicrous when you say they've missed on too many high Draft picks. 

By comparison here are the Chiefs' Draft picks - and see 2013 forward, the one in which the Chiefs took Fisher high in the 1st round and then Drafted Kelce in the 3rd Round....people forget that all too often. Point being, that IMHO you're inaccurate of the Bills' Draft pick quality and to set that against the Chiefs where presumably you're giving them a lot of credit for their Drafts, you can see there are plenty of picks that have not fully yielded their intended return.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/draft.htm

2 hours ago, Success said:

Personally, while I like more aggressive play and think McD was much more aggressive overall this season, I agreed w/ the more conservative decision of taking points at the end of the 1st half.  That was a long drive, and it would have been very demoralizing not to get some points there.  Get the points and regroup at halftime, with some momentum.

It's funny how hindsight works.  Reich DID go for it in the same situation a few weeks back, and was 2nd guessed all over the place for not taking the points.

100% agree with this. Again if individuals want to take issue direct your focus on Daboll’s playcalling inside the redzone. Just atrocious and never leveraged our strengths!

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I agree with @Process that it is BS. It didn't sit well at all with me when he said it. What's next -- they're in year 9, we're in year 5? They're in year 14, we're in year 10? I mean, come on. I think by the time you get to year 4, you don't get to say things like this anymore.

It took KC SIX years to lose in the conference championship.  If Reid is sitting in Sean's spot after year 4, he is talking about how their team is struggling to get passed the divisional round, not "we just took a team to 13 wins and the AFC championship game".  It is completely justifiable for Mcd to at least mention that these things take time, and it is hard to win in this league.

I'd love to see what this board would have been like if we were KC in 2016.  Some people just can't be happy...

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, IMHO the press does a horrible job of asking questions.  Most of them muddle about apparently formulating their thoughts into expressions as they speak, then say some version of "is that right?" and McDermott takes what they say and echoes it back to them.

If they perhaps gave a 1-sentence intro then asked him an open ended question, they might get better results.

The press is pretty bad in Buffalo.  I listened to Seattle's presser after the Bills game, found it much more informative than anything from Buffalo's end.  Same with Indy's press after their loss to Bills in playoffs.

I'm very interested to see what Bills do with their Oline and RBs. I expect we'll give Moss another chance assuming he can come back healthy. Feliciano, Winters, Williams, and Boettger are all free agents. McD calling out the run game feels like shots fired at Mitch Morse who has 2/28M left but we have an out this off season which would leave 5M in dead cap. Could be some changes on the horizon.