Sean McDermott end of season press conference 1/26 11am

YoloinOhio

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, tough when we are paying Quinton Jefferson almsot $7M a year and Phillips got $10M. Would've been worth it.

A younger, more fiery DC might help a bit. But we aren't changing much in the scheme. That is McDermott's scheme. It will likely never change that much.

I felt like when you see McD taking over the play calling, we are more aggressive. He wants pressure with the front 4, he has said that for his whole time here, every year. We didn't get that, when I say aggressive it doesn't necessarily mean blitz more, more pressure up front and tighter coverage from the dbs and lbs. 

Some of what we called on d this year was to help the team deal with the injuries at lb and cb, which would be more zone. It could be used to mask liabilities, which I do think Edmunds has...

I have posted this in other threads, but the team has to decide which of the 2 LBS is getting the 13.5 million contract, I get Edmunds potential and he is 4 million next season, but as of today., I would rather pay Milano and find a true MLB.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, WideNine said:

At least they have kind of gotten past that uniquely American greeting of asking how the coaches are doing and the disinterested not waiting for an answer before launching into questions.

Our coaches would forge ahead answering how they were doing and early on it was funny and awkward.

Unsure what PCs you're watching, because this still happens in every conference with coaches or players and it's 100% cringe

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  We have played more physical games.  We played fast and hit hard against Pittsburgh, against the Steelers, against NE.  Hell, Diggs was knocking Pitts. DB on their ass.

Somehow that physical edge that we have shown during some games seemed missing on Sunday.

The unknown with Gabe Davis is just how much of a "reach" it would have been to start Stills.  We don't know how much of the playbook he had mastered or how he looked in practice.  My guess is maybe, not much and not good

In hindsight, I suspect the team was a lot more gassed than people realized heading into the game.  That, coupled with crowd noise (normally no big deal, but unique in the context of this season), lack of running game, hopeless inability to pressure Mahomes, was just a bad combination.  We played on our heels basically the whole time.  Next year will be different. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have mixed feelings about this.  McDermott said Cole is a "shining example"

I know there's the "Gladiator Culture" in the NFL and that a lot of guys play through injury. 

But there is a line, where someone is less effective and should sit down.  Milano clearly crossed that earlier this season when he was playing in a game where he couldn't lift his freakin' arm to tackle.  I think Cody Ford likewise - he was playing in games where it was clear he struggled to get one arm up to block.

It kind of made me feel that for the Bills, the line may be too much on the "play through it" side.

McD has a wrestling background and my kid was in that sport.

From my experience folks in that sport....

never-liked-him-anyway-he-wasnt-right-in-the-head.jpg.69db601ff823b34a9ac054e809e2da32.jpg

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I felt like when you see McD taking over the play calling, we are more aggressive. He wants pressure with the front 4, he has said that for his whole time here, every year. We didn't get that, when I say aggressive it doesn't necessarily mean blitz more, more pressure up front and tighter coverage from the dbs and lbs. 

Some of what we called on d this year was to help the team deal with the injuries at lb and cb, which would be more zone. It could be used to mask liabilities, which I do think Edmunds has...

I have posted this in other threads, but the team has to decide which of the 2 LBS is getting the 13.5 million contract, I get Edmunds potential and he is 4 million next season, but as of today., I would rather pay Milano and find a true MLB.

Pay Milano now and kick the can down the road on Edmunds.  

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  We have played more physical games.  We played fast and hit hard against Pittsburgh, against the Steelers, against NE.  Hell, Diggs was knocking Pitts. DB on their ass.

Somehow that physical edge that we have shown during some games seemed missing on Sunday.

The unknown with Gabe Davis is just how much of a "reach" it would have been to start Stills.  We don't know how much of the playbook he had mastered or how he looked in practice.  My guess is maybe, not much and not good

I agree with your last part, but he did zip zero zilch, I would rather have had Duke awilliams on the field, but this is semantics and not why we lost. Our lines got their asses handed to them, the crowd affected us, Josh was too worried about finding the right play instead of just calling the play and running it, Spags coverage changing at the last second got in his head....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I dont want to pay EITHER of those LBs $14M/yr.

I'd pick up Edmunds 5th year option to give him some time to prove it, and us some time to replace him.

I'm not paying Milano. I know he is "our best LB", but that isnt saying much. For someone who is supposed to be some great coverage LB, we get destroyed by TEs. Plus he is still a liability in open field tackling.

I'm drafting Milano's replacement this year, and looking for Edmunds replacement in 2 the 2022 draft.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Oh come on. You're better than that!

Sean is as honest as a coach can and should be in this league. He brings a human element to these conferences and that's a lot more than most. Would you rather listen to Belichick?

No I just don't really listen to Sean. I am a huge McDermott fan. I absolutely do not mind his pressers being dull. I just don't bother listening unless I listen as a podcast on a run or something. 

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Unsure what PCs you're watching, because this still happens in every conference with coaches or players and it's 100% cringe

I thought they had improved a bit.

Was the worst with the Daboll interviews because he would wait a bit with a smirk till they were well on their way, then answer.

Pretty cringe-worthy when you think about how some of the best interviewers have a ton of patience letting their subject warm up to a topic and spill more than intended.

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, IMHO the press does a horrible job of asking questions.  Most of them muddle about apparently formulating their thoughts into expressions as they speak, then say some version of "is that right?" and McDermott takes what they say and echoes it back to them.

If they perhaps gave a 1-sentence intro then asked him an open ended question, they might get better results.

They do. I hate "can you speak to [insert topic]". Which seems to happen a lot. If I did that when I used to cover soccer pressers in the UK the response I'd have got was "No, ask me a question." 

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, tough when we are paying Quinton Jefferson almsot $7M a year and Phillips got $10M. Would've been worth it.

A younger, more fiery DC might help a bit. But we aren't changing much in the scheme. That is McDermott's scheme. It will likely never change that much.

We can cut Jefferson though.  I think that would've been much tougher with Jordan Phillips.  

Seems to me that this DL was filled with stop-gap players who all agreed to deals we can get out of this year.   He prioritized flexibility in 2021 over committing to Phillips and/or Shaq.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, IMHO the press does a horrible job of asking questions.  Most of them muddle about apparently formulating their thoughts into expressions as they speak, then say some version of "is that right?" and McDermott takes what they say and echoes it back to them.

If they perhaps gave a 1-sentence intro then asked him an open ended question, they might get better results.

Absolutely, our reporters ask the most generic softball questions. 

They're never direct, open ended questions about the results, tactics and strategies from the game. 

They're meandering feelings type questions. For example, what article would ever feature the question "can you explain what Josh Allen means to this team?"

Who would read about what Sean thinks about the connections between the Super Bowl Bills and the 2020 team?

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They do. I hate "can you speak to [insert topic]". Which seems to happen a lot. If I did that when I used to cover soccer pressers in the UK the response I'd have got was "No, ask me a question." 

That's not what I meant by "open ended question".  There's a sweet spot.  I'll try to find an example.

In the meantime, I'll make hypotheticals.

Too open ended: "Can you speak to the role the OL played in today's game?" (Coach says "that's pretty broad, is there a specific question?")

Too closed: "The crowd was really rocking at Arrowhead and Mitch Morse mentioned communication as an issue for pass protection.  Were you struggling to protect Josh because the crowd made communication difficult?" (McDermott will answer something like "Yes, the home crowd can certainly be a big factor but we've got to Find a Way")

Maybe a question that could get a more interesting answer: "Sean, the OL has been able to give Josh enough time even against some of the best pass rushers in the league.  Why did the OL struggle in pass protection against KC today?"

• Like (+1) 4

I think "physicality" is overrated for the KC Game. The Bills hit those dudes. Rarely missed tackles except when facing those elite speed WRs in the open field, which is honestly expected.

Rather, I would concentrate on the speed. KC's speed really is what allows Mahomes to be Mahomes. It opens up the field for him, keeps teams from heavily blitzing him.

For me, the goal this off season should be getting pass rushers and increasing overall team speed. Anything else is gravy. I don’t want to go nuts on defense because you have to outscore KC. You aren’t going to hold them down all game, but you can force their hand situationally by disrupting Mahomes. 

Our pass rush completely disappeared in some big games this year, and when we did get home, sometimes we struggled finishing and bringing down the QB. I’d scrap most of the dline if they aren’t on a rookie deal. Maybe keep Jerry for leadership.

We all saw what our lack of team speed meant the other night, so no need to rehash. 

The plus side is that with the culture this team has created, I think we can absorb some guys with checkered pasts as long as their talent and work ethic is worth it. 

Edited by TheProcess

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have mixed feelings about this.  McDermott said Cole is a "shining example"

I know there's the "Gladiator Culture" in the NFL and that a lot of guys play through injury. 

But there is a line, where someone is less effective and should sit down.  Milano clearly crossed that earlier this season when he was playing in a game where he couldn't lift his freakin' arm to tackle.  I think Cody Ford likewise - he was playing in games where it was clear he struggled to get one arm up to block.

It kind of made me feel that for the Bills, the line may be too much on the "play through it" side.

Well as far as bees go he lead the team in receptions and yards against Kansas City so I can't fault that

Edited by Comebackkid
  • Agree 1