Sean McDermott end of season press conference 1/26 11am

YoloinOhio

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, IMHO the press does a horrible job of asking questions.  Most of them muddle about apparently formulating their thoughts into expressions as they speak, then say some version of "is that right?" and McDermott takes what they say and echoes it back to them.

If they perhaps gave a 1-sentence intro then asked him an open ended question, they might get better results.

Jw ( I think, I was more interested in listening than jotting stuff down) asked a very good question about scheme and the bend but don't break...

Sean did mention being bigger and faster...

But some of the questions were terrible.

I came away with the impression that Sean is highly reflective and sees a lot of the issues we saw with kc

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, IMHO the press does a horrible job of asking questions.  Most of them muddle about apparently formulating their thoughts into expressions as they speak, then say some version of "is that right?" and McDermott takes what they say and echoes it back to them.

If they perhaps gave a 1-sentence intro then asked him an open ended question, they might get better results.

This guy might've done a better job...

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At least they have kind of gotten past that uniquely American greeting of asking how the coaches are doing and the disinterested not waiting for an answer before launching into questions.

Our coaches would forge ahead answering how they were doing and early on it was funny and awkward.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think Physicality was the biggest factor. And most surprising.

San Fran came out and tried to bully us, and we came back even harder and bullied them. Same with NE and a couple other teams.

That's why it was so surprising to see us look so weak and timid and soft and flat against KC. We were missing an edge, big time.

We looked just as we did against the Titans

• Like (+1) 1

Personally, while I like more aggressive play and think McD was much more aggressive overall this season, I agreed w/ the more conservative decision of taking points at the end of the 1st half.  That was a long drive, and it would have been very demoralizing not to get some points there.  Get the points and regroup at halftime, with some momentum.

It's funny how hindsight works.  Reich DID go for it in the same situation a few weeks back, and was 2nd guessed all over the place for not taking the points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

San Fran came out and tried to bully us, and we came back even harder and bullied them. Same with NE and a couple other teams.

That's why it was so surprising to see us look so weak and timid and soft and flat against KC. We were missing an edge, big time.

We don't have that guy on defense to rally the troops, Jordan Phillips lit a fire, I truly think his loss was felt more than any of us expected. LorAx as well.

We need a nasty OL player too

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

We don't have that guy on defense to rally the troops, Jordan Phillips lit a fire, I truly think his loss was felt more than any of us expected. LorAx as well.

Yep, I've mentioned him and Lawson regarding losing their attitudes on D.

I thought Feliciano was "that dude" on the OL, but he got punked Sunday. Ford can be nasty too, so missing him probably hurt.

But definitely need more guys who play on the edge. Bring me those Brandon Spikes/Richie Incognito types.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I somewhat disagree with you here. 

Mahomes is a year older, and much more experienced, than Josh Allen. 

They lost the AFCCG in 2019 and saw what they needed to get over the hump.  A few months later, they went out and got Frank Clark.  They also went out and added even more speed on offense.  

They are a full step ahead of us.   That step is them realizing what they were missing to get to the Super Bowl.  I think we now have a much better idea of what is needed as well. 

Mcd also brought up that KC is in year 8 and we are in year 4...

Huge point there. We need to identify our core and build around them with bigger faster bodies 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When is Brandon up?

I love Sean but I know his press conference off by heart:

"proud of the players"

"it's part of the process"

"growth mindset"

"every year is a new team"

"some plays we'd like back"

"hungry and humble"

"people that love the game" 

Don’t forget:

”I think consistency is important” 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep, I've mentioned him and Lawson regarding losing their attitudes on D.

I thought Feliciano was "that dude" on the OL, but he got punked Sunday. Ford can be nasty too, so missing him probably hurt.

But definitely need more guys who play on the edge. Bring me those Brandon Spikes/Richie Incognito types.

I was wrong on Phillips,  he cost a ton, but when you look at what we spent overall on the DL replacements I would have been happier with him and playing Zimmer and horrible Harry a bit more.  This needs to be a big focus.

Feliciano was going 1 on 1 with Jones, tough assignment and he got his ass handed to him. I think he can be part of it, but I don't even see Ford having that nasty streak. We sure could use it there...

Not to lump this in, but I hope Frazier ends up in Houston, get the comp picks and move to a slightly more aggressive scheme...

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I somewhat disagree with you here. 

Mahomes is a year older, and much more experienced, than Josh Allen. 

They lost the AFCCG in 2019 and saw what they needed to get over the hump.  A few months later, they went out and got Frank Clark.  They also went out and added even more speed on offense.  

They are a full step ahead of us.   That step is them realizing what they were missing to get to the Super Bowl.  I think we now have a much better idea of what is needed as well. 

And I think it’s fair to say an offensive genius like Reid might stay a step ahead building his offense. Each piece he adds to the offense almost immediately has designed plays to work to their strengths. Their system has been in place so long, even before Mahomes some of those guys were already in this system so they can keep adding. We’re honestly only in year two of our offense with most of this personnel 

8 minutes ago, Success said:

Personally, while I like more aggressive play and think McD was much more aggressive overall this season, I agreed w/ the more conservative decision of taking points at the end of the 1st half.  That was a long drive, and it would have been very demoralizing not to get some points there.  Get the points and regroup at halftime, with some momentum.

It's funny how hindsight works.  Reich DID go for it in the same situation a few weeks back, and was 2nd guessed all over the place for not taking the points.

True...a very thin line between gutsy/genius call, and WTF was he thinking - fire him.

I do think there was some "play not to lose" mentality and timidity that crept into the team that was uncharacteristic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have mixed feelings about this.  McDermott said Cole is a "shining example"

I know there's the "Gladiator Culture" in the NFL and that a lot of guys play through injury. 

But there is a line, where someone is less effective and should sit down.  Milano clearly crossed that earlier this season when he was playing in a game where he couldn't lift his freakin' arm to tackle.  I think Cody Ford likewise - he was playing in games where it was clear he struggled to get one arm up to block.

It kind of made me feel that for the Bills, the line may be too much on the "play through it" side.

Edit: tweet of actual McDermott quote

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not really BS, imo.

Go back to 2013 and do the same draft/FA analysis for the Chiefs. No one is perfect, and everyone has misses. A lot of impact players we DID bring in that you left off your list.

I agree with @Process that it is BS. It didn't sit well at all with me when he said it. What's next -- they're in year 9, we're in year 5? They're in year 14, we're in year 10? I mean, come on. I think by the time you get to year 4, you don't get to say things like this anymore.

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I was wrong on Phillips,  he cost a ton, but when you look at what we spent overall on the DL replacements I would have been happier with him and playing Zimmer and horrible Harry a bit more.  This needs to be a big focus.

Feliciano was going 1 on 1 with Jones, tough assignment and he got his ass handed to him. I think he can be part of it, but I don't even see Ford having that nasty streak. We sure could use it there...

Not to lump this in, but I hope Frazier ends up in Houston, get the comp picks and move to a slightly more aggressive scheme...

Yeah, tough when we are paying Quinton Jefferson almsot $7M a year and Phillips got $10M. Would've been worth it.

A younger, more fiery DC might help a bit. But we aren't changing much in the scheme. That is McDermott's scheme. It will likely never change that much.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have mixed feelings about this.  McDermott said Cole is a "shining example"

I know there's the "Gladiator Culture" in the NFL and that a lot of guys play through injury. 

But there is a line, where someone is less effective and should sit down.  Milano clearly crossed that earlier this season when he was playing in a game where he couldn't lift his freakin' arm to tackle.  I think Cody Ford likewise - he was playing in games where it was clear he struggled to get one arm up to block.

It kind of made me feel that for the Bills, the line may be too much on the "play through it" side.

He said the same thing about Gabriel Davis, trainers and medical staff gave him the thumbs up and he wanted to ride with the guys who got them there. It is a little bit too much "It was his turn" for me...

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This.  We have played more physical games.  We played fast and hit hard against Pittsburgh, against the Steelers, against NE.  Hell, Diggs was knocking Pitts. DB on their ass.

Somehow that physical edge that we have shown during some games seemed missing on Sunday.

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

He said the same thing about Gabriel Davis, trainers and medical staff gave him the thumbs up and he wanted to ride with the guys who got them there. It is a little bit too much "It was his turn" for me...

The unknown with Gabe Davis is just how much of a "reach" it would have been to start Stills.  We don't know how much of the playbook he had mastered or how he looked in practice.  My guess is maybe, not much and not good

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Totally agree on J Phillips.  Missed his attitude and pressure very, very much this year.  There are a lot of other things that are "wrong" with the D-line, but the absence of an ability to generate consistent pressure probably was the biggest one. 

• Agree 1