Madden on Teams Incorporating Madden in Pregame Prep?

Stumbled across this article and after a cursory search didn't see it posted here yet, thought it was an interesting wrinkle on the concept of gaming out your upcoming opponent's strengths and weaknesses during the season--I'm not a big video game player but for those here who love playing Madden, what are your thoughts on the effectiveness this would have or not? Also, isn't the game only as good as its data inputs/programming? 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/john-madden-thinks-nfl-teams-can-benefit-from-hiring-madden-players/

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Stumbled across this article and after a cursory search didn't see it posted here yet, thought it was an interesting wrinkle on the concept of gaming out your upcoming opponent's strengths and weaknesses during the season--I'm not a big video game player but for those here who love playing Madden, what are your thoughts on the effectiveness this would have or not? Also, isn't the game only as good as its data inputs/programming? 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/john-madden-thinks-nfl-teams-can-benefit-from-hiring-madden-players/

I don't really get this from a game planning perspective. I do think it could maybe help with practicing game management -- when to go for it on fourth down, take the field goal, go for two and maybe for basic familiarity with players and their strengths and weaknesses but John sounds really out of touch talking about this. It's kind of sad really given the football mind he had.

Edited by BuffaloBobs

19 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Tre White and Edmunds play like gods in the game but get destroyed in real life. I wouldn’t put much into Madden.

23 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Of course you are dealing with an A.I. and of course twiddling your thumbs is not the same as being on real or fake grass and doing the moves.

However, what it can give you is repetition and seeing how these plays unfold and what is going on.

"...but you have game and practice video for that."  Yeah, but you can't control any aspect of that, other than forwards or reverse.  All these guys play it and they have had an understanding of it since they were knee bitters.

It is just a game, but I can see where to at least some degree it can be a tool.  It's effectiveness is certainly up for debate.  I guess it depends on how much you think you can get out of it.  

Ballet moves are vastly different from football, and also a vastly different vocation than the game.  However, that's used to assist players in their movement and strength coordination.

If Madden can add something to today's players with respect to their perception and repetition, then more power to them and the game.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Still the gold standard as far as I'm concerned 😅

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Of course you are dealing with an A.I. and of course twiddling your thumbs is not the same as being on real or fake grass and doing the moves.

However, what it can give you is repetition and seeing how these plays unfold and what is going on.

"...but you have game and practice video for that."  Yeah, but you can't control any aspect of that, other than forwards or reverse.  All these guys play it and they have had an understanding of it since they were knee bitters.

It is just a game, but I can see where to at least some degree it can be a tool.  It's effectiveness is certainly up for debate.  I guess it depends on how much you think you can get out of it.  

Ballet moves are vastly different from football, and also a vastly different vocation than the game.  However, that's used to assist players in their movement and strength coordination.

If Madden can add something to today's players with respect to their perception and repetition, then more power to them and the game.

Good point--and in a league where razor thin margins separate the great from the also-rans, any competitive advantage needs to be explored, even if it's just simulating in-game issues than can come up, such as clock management. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

My opinion is the team that won the Big Madden tournament last year had a punter for a QB.