Who Is Getting Too Much and Too Little Blame For Chiefs Loss?

JohnNord

42 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

If you cant see the difference between the Chiefs and Bills at this point in time then there isnt much else to discuss. 

The Chiefs on their B game are us on our A+ game. They are on another level and theres nothing wrong with that. Accept it.  The better team won. This isnt a subjective statement. 

The Chiefs squeaked by the likes of Atlanta, Miami and the Broncos in December.  Was that "other level" football?  Are the Bills at the level of those teams?

Chiefs hit on all cylinders (and they have a lot) Sunday.  But they weren't the 95-96 Bulls all season.  Everyone had every reason to expect a much closer game.  The Bills were poorly prepared, I think.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Eh. We lost to a qb who might be the goat in KC, to an all time great coach, with a team loaded with talent. I really am not mad or blaming any player. We had the best season since I was a little kid and we just couldn’t clear that final hurdle. I loved this team and have nothing bad to say.

• Like (+1) 3

Too Little Blame

McDermott - there were poor in game decisions (kicking FGs), and lack of effective adjustments. The Bills were thoroughly outplayed all over the field, and they looked completely unprepared to compete. 

Frazier - was there a defensive game plan ? You normally try and pick your poison when playing against the Chiefs. You can try and contain Kelce, you can try to contain Hill, or you can try and stop the big plays. We did none of those things at any point in the game. 

Singletary - that really was a pivotal drop 

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Too Little Blame

McDermott - there were poor in game decisions (kicking FGs), and lack of effective adjustments. The Bills were thoroughly outplayed all over the field, and they looked completely unprepared to compete. 

Frazier - was there a defensive game plan ? You normally try and pick your poison when playing against the Chiefs. You can try and contain Kelce, you can try to contain Hill, or you can try and stop the big plays. We did none of those things at any point in the game. 

Singletary - that really was a pivotal drop 

He should have caught it but the ball floated and the delivery could have been a little flatter.  But no excuse.  I don't see that play making such a big difference in the final outcome given other things.  But its not like Ronnie Harmon's drop in the 1989 playoffs against the Browns big.  If anyone's old enough to remember that. 

9 minutes ago, finn said:

Not sure I agree. They were a better team that day, for sure, which means they were better prepared, which in turn falls mostly on the coaches. Except for Singletary's appalling drop, execution wasn't too bad across the board, given what the Bills players faced--and what the coaches evidently didn't prepare them for. This "the better team won" business ignores the Bills' dominance all season long, which to be fair, the coaches played a key role. But in this game, with the shining exception of special teams, the Bills coaches bombed in every respect, which hung their players out to dry. 

Put it this way: If you swapped coaching staffs, the Bills might have won. 

Coaching staffs are part of the team though. The entire system is what makes the Chiefs better. And we arent there yet. McD and co. have to evolve. Reid didnt get here overnight. 

The Chiefs have been to 3 consecutive AFC Championships. They are the reigning SB champs. They won more games than us this year (even with benching all their starters the last game). They beat us twice this year (and both times the games werent as close as the score indicated). What more needs to be said? Theres no shame in losing vs the best. I have no doubt we will learn and improve from this. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Chiefs squeaked by the likes of Atlanta, Miami and the Broncos in December.  Was that "other level" football?  Are the Bills at the level of those teams?

Chiefs hit on all cylinders (and they have a lot) Sunday.  But they weren't the 95-96 Bulls all season.  Everyone had every reason to expect a much closer game.  The Bills were poorly prepared, I think.

If youre going to start qualifying their wins you better start qualifying ours too. 

45 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For sure.   Their elite talent win titles.

having Spags and Reid calling the plays is the cherry on top

True but Reid’s coaching only goes so far.  Before he had Mahomes, he couldn’t game plan his way to win in big games for nearly 2 decades.   Talent put him over the top 

Hopefully Josh continues to grow and the Bills can find better pieces to help him get there.

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Agreed.  But I didn't feel the Bills were doomed if not perfect against a Chiefs team that was losing steam at the end of the season.  I expected more of a shootout.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Me too. But it is clear the Chiefs have cracked the code to our pass pro schemes. We have been pretty good in pass pro all year but awful in both games against KC and we are definitely beat up at receiver and have been through the playoffs. Frustrating. Annoying. And some of the play calling in the red zone was irritating. It is what it is. We didn't coach a perfect game and we sure as hell didn't play one. 

I think if we would have all known about the wide receiver injuries going in, we got would have been closer to the outcome we expected. It's disappointing that we didn't even see Buffalo get a shot at it, but we have all been watching football for at least 2 years and we've seen that Kansas City is a ridiculously tough out these past two seasons if they're firing on all cylinders.

They did play some squeakers in December, but they clinched the West on December 7th and didn't play very many meaningful games during the month. They took two weeks off to get ready for the postseason, and fire it on all cylinders against Cleveland until Mahomes got a concussion.

The only way to play against Kansas City is shorten the game, especially with all the receiver injuries. Defensively it means you're going to prioritize not giving up big plays and try to get pressure with four and offensively you have to have a good ball control aspect on your team to keep them off the field.

Those two things are things that Buffalo hasn't been able to do since week one, but luckily Buffalo has upcoming free agents and back ends of contracts that they can get out of to make changes. 

5 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

If youre going to start qualifying their wins you better start qualifying ours too. 

I was pointing out that your statement ("The Chiefs on their B game are us on our A+ game. They are on another level and theres nothing wrong with that.") was incorrect.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I was pointing out that your statement ("The Chiefs on their B game are us on our A+ game. They are on another level and theres nothing wrong with that.") was incorrect.

How is that incorrect? The chiefs are clearly better than us. They beat us twice. Soundly. They dictated the game to us - like a superior opponent does. They beat basically every team that made it deep into the playoffs (the Ravens, the Saints, the Bucs). They are on another level. Thats a fact. 

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

True but Reid’s coaching only goes so far.  Before he had Mahomes, he couldn’t game plan his way to win in big games for nearly 2 decades.   Talent put him over the top 

Hopefully Josh continues to grow and the Bills can find better pieces to help him get there.

For two decades Reid wasn’t the same coach he is today.  He’s lived and he’s learned.  He’s improved. He’s worked hard.  He added Spags. He added elite talent.  And as I said.....their coaching is the cherry on top.  It’s a great combination of talent and coaching.  McD and Co better get to work.  Mahomes and Kelce will be together the next 5 seasons.  Jones and Clark signed through 2023.  Hill has two

more years under contract.  If we want a SB, we’re going to have to adjust and adapt in order to beat this juggernaut

Just now, bobobonators said:

How is that incorrect? The chiefs are clearly better than us. They beat us twice. Soundly. They dictated the game to us - like a superior opponent does. They beat basically every team that made it deep into the playoffs (the Ravens, the Saints, the Bucs). They are on another level. Thats a fact. 

The gap between the Bills and the Chiefs is not as wide as you stated.  

Bucs lost to the Saints.  Twice.  Were they therefore a B to the Saints A+?

And again 3-4 plays on offense and woulda/coulda/shoulda....

1. Singletary drop at a crucial juncture

2. Lousy Redzone play calling and execution against the worst red zone defense.  On one the Bills were second & 4 from the 9 and again a weak run play set up a third down, which again was a bad call).

3. One extra point actually created problems....  (21-13 at half a little different situation)

• Like (+1) 1

I'll say it slightly different than "blame", so what did we "learn" or what do we need to improve moving forward:

1. DL: this group underachieved more than any other position group, for the investment (draft and cap) made here.  It needs to be rebuilt and a new identity. 

2. RB: I really like Motor, as a player and person, but he is limited.  This offense needs a "speed" back type or a Hines/receiving back type that can add to our weapons.  Motor and Moss are still young, so I'm not cutting either of them on a rookie deal, but would like to find another complementing piece

3. WR/TE: the old cryptonite returned, can't get off the jam/press coverage.  I will say we did so much better throughout the season.  Injuries certainly didn't help,  but scheming didn't either (crosses, bunch formations, natural pick plays, etc.).  I am fine with the same group coming back, look mid rounds for a speedster and possibly another TE to groom with Knox

4. OL: Williams needs paid, he and Dawkins would be a nice bookend for the next 5 yrs.  Love Jon, but he won't be worth the money, unless they have no confidence in Cody.  Would like to see us draft a guard in the 2nd-3rd round

5.  coaching: already touched on Daboll.  Frazier and McD frustrated me.  Yes they created a great plan for Bmore, but when you play KC who has TONs of speed, you need to get out of the nickle and go Dime, either an extra CB or safety.  Honestly, the vanilla looking pressure packages were just that, too plain.  If anything can be improved, look to what Miami and others do with their creative blitz looks and incorporate it.  No excuse to line up and play, when your front 4 havent delivered all season

18 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Coaching staffs are part of the team though. The entire system is what makes the Chiefs better. And we arent there yet. McD and co. have to evolve. Reid didnt get here overnight. 

The Chiefs have been to 3 consecutive AFC Championships. They are the reigning SB champs. They won more games than us this year (even with benching all their starters the last game). They beat us twice this year (and both times the games werent as close as the score indicated). What more needs to be said? Theres no shame in losing vs the best. I have no doubt we will learn and improve from this. 

Agreed.

The biggest difference in the game (and the two teams) was mind-set. The Chiefs just appeared more confident (even when there were down 9-0 at the end of the first quarter) and tenacious. They won the battle in the trenches -- and made the Bills (on both sides of the ball) look very uncomfortable. Meanwhile, the Chiefs themselves on both offense and defense looked supremely comfortable all night long on both offense and defense. The same thing happened back in Week 6.

I think that is the thing that was most frustrating to me was the manner in which the Bills allowed the Chiefs to make them their proverbial b-words. It reminded me of too many games in years past when the Patriots used to do that to the Bills.

The game also goes to show that in order to be successful at the NFL level (most importantly in the playoffs against superior talent and coaching) you really HAVE to adapt. Back in Week 6, the Chiefs pounded the ball to victory because the Bills were focused on not letting Mahomes beat them down the field -- but could not stop the run. Sunday night the Chiefs employed a completely different offensive game plan against our defense and also had success. Meanwhile, the Bills continued to be  completely one-dimensional themselves on offense.

The season was a grind -- and, I believe, overall a success. Only one fan base is happy every year -- and we as Bills fans know better than anyone that the later in the season you are eliminated, the more hurtful it is. Still, if you told me going into the season that the Bills would make it all the way to the AFC Championship and that Josh Allen, S. Diggs, etc. would have the season they had, I would have rejoiced!

The team finished 13-3 against one of the toughest schedules in the league -- and the roster is in overall good shape. Just a few tweaks here and there (front 7, RB, TE, etc.) and some reflection among the coaches and players about what COULD HAVE BEEN should result in good things in 2021.

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Tredavious White:

Was absolutely toasted by Tyreek Hill.  Hill is a tough matchup for any corner but I’ve never seen white struggle this badly in coverage.

I agree that Tre had a bad day.  He seemed to be playing in no man's land the entire game.  Not far back enough at times, and not close enough at times.  

I can forgive deep balls that are completed to Hill.  But, in this game, Hill would catch a 5-yard pass, and then Tre (and others) couldn't tackle him. He would take simple 5-yarders and turn them into 40-yarders.

If we got beat by Hill, I would prefer to get beat on higher-difficulty deep balls. 

they were faster, stronger , more talented... just better.   It's all good.   ".. can't touch them..."  haha.   

The Process continues... it took them to 15 wins this season; McBeanes will keep doing what they do, improving the roster, learning to coach better, continue every day to be better than they were the day before.   Trust this process and the wins , playoff wins and ultimately

sb wins take care of themselves.   

Trust it.

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again 3-4 plays on offense and woulda/coulda/shoulda....

1. Singletary drop at a crucial juncture

2. Lousy Redzone play calling and execution against the worst red zone defense.  On one the Bills were second & 4 from the 9 and again a weak run play set up a third down, which again was a bad call).

3. One extra point actually created problems....  (21-13 at half a little different situation)

If Singletary catches that, the Bills would've got a FG at worst on that drive, then if they go for it on 4th and goal from the 2 like they should have, the Bills are only down by 1 or 2 points or possibly leading at the half, in that case the 2nd half may have gone way differently.

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The reaction to the loss from Bills fans has been met with disappointment, frustration and anger.  As a result, fans are left searching for answers which has often leads to blame.

Truth is after such a bad loss it’s hard to pinpoint one player, coach, or unit. The Bills were outplayed in just about every area.

Yet the belief that the loss in binary, has led to some reactions that I feel are inaccurate for assigning too much or too little blame

Too Much Blame:

Sean McDermott

Don’t worry - I’m not giving him a pass at all.  Given the situation above, the buck stops with him as HC.  He deserves the most blame, but I feel the narrative will be that the Bills lost because he kicked FG’s instead of going for TD’s.  Truth is, even if they go 3-3 on 4th down (which is unlikely) it probably wouldn’t have mattered given how bad the Bills played defense.  

KC could’ve scored 7 on every possession and nearly did.  The Bills offense was not up to that challenge.  The Bills needed to play a perfect game against a KC team who according to Football Outsiders scored an incredible 94% DVOA rating for the game.  For the Bills to win, they would need to be perfect and based on individual performances I don’t think they were up for that challenge. 

Leslie Frazier

I feel Frazier has been made the biggest scape goat by fans, one week after putting together an all-time great game plan vs Baltimore.  He needed to do that again and couldn’t get the job done, though few coaches have.

Frazier got criticized for not making adjustments, when in fact he did make adjustment because Mahomes was shredding the defense.  He called more man coverages to stop the bleeding.  The results were terrible including a 71 yard Hill reception.  

In the end the Bills defense was not good enough to stop KC.  The front 4 couldn’t generate any pressure, the secondary couldn’t cover the receivers and the LB’s sucked.  IMO this was more of a talent/execution issue than scheme and play calling.  The fact that some Bills fans were claiming that Frazier was more interested in the Texans job than winning was insulting.  

Too Little Blame:

Brian Daboll:

This is tough to say because he’s been great all year.  But he had no counter punch to Spagnolo’s defense - which basically was a mix between Week 6 and Baltimore.  

As far as players go, you could include just about everyone on the list besides Beasley and maybe Knox.  But I’ll just go with players who normally perform well and didn't, as opposed to inconsistent players or players that didn’t standout.  

Josh Allen:

Team MVP but when met with adversity he pressed and struggled.  His teammates let him down for sure, but Josh needed to play closer to MVP Josh then 2019 Josh.    

Stefan Diggs:

Unbelievable year but he struggled getting off press coverage.  He wasn’t the reliable target he has been all season long and was noticeably frustrated.  In the end his numbers were decent but he let the team down and he knew it.

Tredavious White:

Was absolutely toasted by Tyreek Hill.  Hill is a tough matchup for any corner but I’ve never seen white struggle this badly in coverage.

Offensive Line:

All 5 were just beaten so badly.  Love the fire at the end of the game but where were they for the first 3 quarters? 

Devin Singletary:

Perfect play call to get a 1st down in FG range up 9-7  Dropped an easy pass that could have been huge. You better believe the Bills are looking at RB options next year.  

Like I said earlier coaching vs. execution is a chicken vs. the egg debate.  If you have to blame 1 person, If blame McDermott since he’s the HC but the loss was a completely failure on so many levels.  At the terrible performances from some of our key players this season is eye-opening 

people are throwing sungletary under the bus...

it came deepen toa few plays that if they executed them its a one score game and buffalo has the ball to start the 4zth in kc territory

diggs Wasnt 100%

9 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

If Singletary catches that, the Bills would've got a FG at worst on that drive, then if they go for it on 4th and goal from the 2 like they should have, the Bills are only down by 1 or 2 points or possibly leading at the half, in that case the 2nd half may have gone way differently.

It was a catch you have to make and unfortunately a crucial time when the Bills needed to reassert themselves.

Like everything in the game, just a little off (and did not seem prepared).

Edited by Billsfan1972