Who Is Getting Too Much and Too Little Blame For Chiefs Loss?

8 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

So you do agree.  “Elite talent” using your words, are the difference makers.  We have Allen, Diggs and White.  

I think we have better talent across the board.  I think all of our Lbers are better than theirs.  I think our OL is better than theirs.  I think our WRs other than hill are better than theirs.  We lack elite talent, but our good talent is more abundant.

whatever that means to you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Frazier’s pre snap looks we’re as bland as a year old cracker.  He didn’t make Mahomes work Pre snap. There was no game of audible chess between our D and their O. He didn’t try to confuse Mahomes at

The reaction to the loss from Bills fans has been met with disappointment, frustration and anger.  As a result, fans are left searching for answers which has often leads to blame.   Truth is

Mostly the fans that won’t move on...

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lots of posters saying this.  Not sure why.  The Chiefs were the better team going into the game, so what?  The Bills were very close--easily the 3rd best team in the NFL to that point.  They need a perfect game, they needed a far better game than they played.  They have played better.  Chiefs were struggling their last 3 games into the AFCC game.  Even before Mahomes went out, they went beating the Browns like they were handling the Bills Sunday.  Are the Browns a tougher out than the Bills?

Not firing,  I meant if he is hired as a HC.

If you cant see the difference between the Chiefs and Bills at this point in time then there isnt much else to discuss. 

The Chiefs on their B game are us on our A+ game. They are on another level and theres nothing wrong with that. Accept it.  The better team won. This isnt a subjective statement. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Do we need to blame anyone.  We like to talk how we teach kids that it's a team game, win and lose together.... , the better team won because they were better in 2 of the 3 phases of the game. Offense and defense.  Bills need to spend the offseason improving both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 3
49 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Too Much.....The Team ;)

Not Enough.....The fans........Bills Mafia needed to scoop up all 17,000 seats ;) 

No need to blame anyone.....there are a few holes to fill on this team...I think they exceeded all expectations for this year. 

Let our GM work his magic this off season.

Yeah this was my main point.  Yet fans are still trying to find a scapegoat and I think some of that blame is being shared unevenly.  

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Do we need to blame anyone.  We like to talk how we teach kids that it's a team game, win and lose together.... , the better team won because they were better in 2 of the 3 phases of the game. Offense and defense.  Bills need to spend the offseason improving both sides of the ball.

No, like I said it’s not binary but fans still are placing a lot of blame on someone like Frazier and not on the players who didn’t show up this season

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think we have better talent across the board.  I think all of our Lbers are better than theirs.  I think our OL is better than theirs.  I think our WRs other than hill are better than theirs.  We lack elite talent, but our good talent is more abundant.

whatever that means to you. 

Interesting take here. I’d largely agree but I think that you can argue that the sum of Kansas City’s 3-5 elite players is greater than the sum of our very good talent.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Josh did what he could.  He was under pressure all second half for sure.  They knew Bills weren't gonna run the ball so they tee'd off on Allen at will.

In a way I agree.  Josh was let down by his offensive line, receivers, and even Singletary in a huge moment.

He also struggled to diagnose what KC was doing, seemed to bypass short throws trying to make something happen deep, and took 4 sacks that cost the team 60 yards.  Most of this is a result of Josh trying to do too much to keep up.  Not his best day as a QB, there is some blame he should shoulder for sure 

• Like (+1) 1
5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Yeah this was my main point.  Yet fans are still trying to find a scapegoat and I think some of that blame is being shared unevenly.  

No, like I said it’s not binary but fans still are placing a lot of blame on someone like Frazier and not on the players who didn’t show up this season

Interesting take here. I’d largely agree but I think that you can argue that the sum of Kansas City’s 3-5 elite players is greater than the sum of our very good talent.  

For sure.   Their elite talent win titles.

having Spags and Reid calling the plays is the cherry on top

The Bills got beaten pretty soundly on both sides of the ball by a better team.  Lots of players and coaches didn't have their best day on Sunday, but even if they did the outcome probably would have been the same.  No reason to lose sleep over it.  Time to move on to the off-season and focus on taking another step forward next year.

Too much blame:  The Field goals.  Personally I don't think Allen would have even got his passes off with the rush KC was bringing and their "sticky" coverages.  I don't think we convert either of those to TD's and making it 21-12 rather than 21-9 at half WAS important.

Too little: The players and schemes.  It's like none of them even studied film re: Hill and Kelce.  Even Hughes said they knew the shovel pass TD was coming and just blew it.  

In this specific game, I personally don't see the point in laying blame.

The Chiefs are a much better team than the Bills right now.

I think a healthier Bills team would have been more competitive, but the fact is that the Bills (especially WRs) were banged up.  Not just "it's deep into the season and everyone is playing through discomfort," banged up.  Seriously banged up.

We can point fingers at the coaches for what looked like a horrible game plan; or at the offensive AND defensive lines for not being effective at all; or at Josh Allen for reverting back to Hero Ball Mode and taking sacks for ridiculous losses; etc., etc., etc.

Bottom line is that the better team won.  The team with better players and better coaches won.  It happens and that's what SHOULD happen.

Now the Bills just need to focus on closing the gap between themselves and the Chiefs.

Go Bills!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My answer to this thread...... is really "tale as old as time."

Who is getting too much blame? The coaches

Who is getting too little blame? The players. 

Exactly.... something just rubbed me the wrong way to see fans say terrible things about Leslie Frazier when players were equally as disappointing 

I can't stop thinking about the Singletary drop.  It was 9-7 at that point, we had the ball on the KC 49, 2nd and 7, he was wide open with daylight in front of him, he makes that catch and its most likely 1st and 10 at the KC 25. That would've made a massive difference in the game if they scored there. Not blaming Singletary for the loss, but that was huge.

• Like (+1) 3

Devin Singletary: Perfect play call to get a 1st down in FG range up 9-7  Dropped an easy pass that could have been huge. 

This play ruined the game for me. I couldn't get over it and was glad he was benched the rest of the half. Forget FG, could have marched for a TD (would have been 1st down around the 35). That was the most basic, easiest pass to complete. Replay showed he turned his head WAY early... no one was even around him!! I was so pissed. Never know... could have completely changed the complexion of the game. Maybe KC calls different plays, maybe confidence for Bills players, maybe they get rolling... that sucked. And he did nothing to make up for it either. I'm off the Dingletary bus - get rid of the guy.

2 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

I can't stop thinking about the Singletary drop.  It was 9-7 at that point, we had the ball on the KC 49, 2nd and 7, he was wide open with daylight in front of him, he makes that catch and its most likely 1st and 10 at the KC 25. That would've made a massive difference in the game if they scored there. Not blaming Singletary for the loss, but that was huge.

Ha. Just posted the same thing!

Edited by BuffaloBillies
  • Like (+1) 3
30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a match up league. The Browns do two things that the Chiefs really don't like much better than the Bills. They run the ball at your throat and they pressure from the edge. Look at the losses the Chiefs have had the last couple of years.... look at the fact that San Fran almost had them in the Superbowl.... it is teams who can run it straight at you and get pressure off the edge that keeps Mahomes in the pocket and forces him to step up. The only bits of pressure the Bills got on Sunday were sporadic rushes from Oliver up the middle that force Mahomes out and he is more comfortable with that. I think the Bills did need close to a perfect game and they didn't get anywhere close to it. 

I think there's a lot of truth to this.  Just focusing on the defense the Bills as constructed have some glaring deficiencies that "play" directly to the Chiefs strengths.  A below average defensive front (contrasted to the big amount of cap space committed) that is poor against the run and generates no consistent pressure on the QB.  An average LB group backed up by a good secondary.   Poster MAJBobby wrote a great post on the defensive line titled "Offseason Primer Position Group: DL" on the topic which I think is is a must read on the topic.

Then there's the scheme mismatch.  I started re-watching the game to look at the Chiefs offensive plays.  While I only got thru the 1st half I noted a couple things.  Playing the zone against Mahomes and his receivers is suicide.  But the Bills don't really have a great man-to-man group.  The Chiefs use a lot of motion and I see a tendency for the play to go back to the side of the field opposite of where the motion is going.  This looks like a big "tell" to me.  Letting Kelce have a free release off the line on almost every play was mind boggling. 

The Bills have no answer in the secondary group for covering Hill.  Almost every other team in the league doesn't either.  Maybe an out of the box idea similar to Belichik using Troy Brown at DB year's back when it was necessary could have worked in secondary.  I'm suggesting putting McKenzie on Hill for a couple obvious passing downs.  He's probably the only guy on the roster that can keep up with him and with some safety help over the top might have made a difference on a few plays.  Otherwise, on many plays the Bills had players in position to make a stop or tackle in the secondary but took a step in the wrong direction or ran themselves out of position from either misreading the intended target or by Mahomes looking them off.       

• Agree 1

Listen if you're going to go 13-3, win the afce and beat 2 good teams in the playoffs without any fans, this pandemic year was it. I think the coaches will admit they deserve the lions share of the blame for the KC debacle. We take this loss, learn from it and make every effort to get home field next season. We'll have fans screaming their heads off and hopefully Josh will have a running game this time. If you want to beat the Chiefs, fgs won't cut it.

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a match up league. The Browns do two things that the Chiefs really don't like much better than the Bills. They run the ball at your throat and they pressure from the edge. Look at the losses the Chiefs have had the last couple of years.... look at the fact that San Fran almost had them in the Superbowl.... it is teams who can run it straight at you and get pressure off the edge that keeps Mahomes in the pocket and forces him to step up. The only bits of pressure the Bills got on Sunday were sporadic rushes from Oliver up the middle that force Mahomes out and he is more comfortable with that. I think the Bills did need close to a perfect game and they didn't get anywhere close to it. 

Agreed.  But I didn't feel the Bills were doomed if not perfect against a Chiefs team that was losing steam at the end of the season.  I expected more of a shootout.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Agreed.  But I didn't feel the Bills were doomed if not perfect against a Chiefs team that was losing steam at the end of the season.  I expected more of a shootout.

Me too. But it is clear the Chiefs have cracked the code to our pass pro schemes. We have been pretty good in pass pro all year but awful in both games against KC and we are definitely beat up at receiver and have been through the playoffs. Frustrating. Annoying. And some of the play calling in the red zone was irritating. It is what it is. We didn't coach a perfect game and we sure as hell didn't play one. 

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

I think blame is somewhat deserved, without going overboard. The Chiefs are the better team, period. We needed to play a perfect game and we didnt. We lost on the road to a superior team. No point in going nutty over it. 

Not sure I agree. They were a better team that day, for sure, which means they were better prepared, which in turn falls mostly on the coaches. Except for Singletary's appalling drop, execution wasn't too bad across the board, given what the Bills players faced--and what the coaches evidently didn't prepare them for. This "the better team won" business ignores the Bills' dominance all season long, which to be fair, the coaches played a key role. But in this game, with the shining exception of special teams, the Bills coaches bombed in every respect, which hung their players out to dry. 

Put it this way: If you swapped coaching staffs, the Bills might have won. 

• Like (+1) 1