Who Is Getting Too Much and Too Little Blame For Chiefs Loss?

JohnNord

The reaction to the loss from Bills fans has been met with disappointment, frustration and anger.  As a result, fans are left searching for answers which has often leads to blame.

Truth is after such a bad loss it’s hard to pinpoint one player, coach, or unit. The Bills were outplayed in just about every area.

Yet the belief that the loss in binary, has led to some reactions that I feel are inaccurate for assigning too much or too little blame

Too Much Blame:

Sean McDermott

Don’t worry - I’m not giving him a pass at all.  Given the situation above, the buck stops with him as HC.  He deserves the most blame, but I feel the narrative will be that the Bills lost because he kicked FG’s instead of going for TD’s.  Truth is, even if they go 3-3 on 4th down (which is unlikely) it probably wouldn’t have mattered given how bad the Bills played defense.  

KC could’ve scored 7 on every possession and nearly did.  The Bills offense was not up to that challenge.  The Bills needed to play a perfect game against a KC team who according to Football Outsiders scored an incredible 94% DVOA rating for the game.  For the Bills to win, they would need to be perfect and based on individual performances I don’t think they were up for that challenge. 

Leslie Frazier

I feel Frazier has been made the biggest scape goat by fans, one week after putting together an all-time great game plan vs Baltimore.  He needed to do that again and couldn’t get the job done, though few coaches have.

Frazier got criticized for not making adjustments, when in fact he did make adjustment because Mahomes was shredding the defense.  He called more man coverages to stop the bleeding.  The results were terrible including a 71 yard Hill reception.  

In the end the Bills defense was not good enough to stop KC.  The front 4 couldn’t generate any pressure, the secondary couldn’t cover the receivers and the LB’s sucked.  IMO this was more of a talent/execution issue than scheme and play calling.  The fact that some Bills fans were claiming that Frazier was more interested in the Texans job than winning was insulting.  

Too Little Blame:

Brian Daboll:

This is tough to say because he’s been great all year.  But he had no counter punch to Spagnolo’s defense - which basically was a mix between Week 6 and Baltimore.  

As far as players go, you could include just about everyone on the list besides Beasley and maybe Knox.  But I’ll just go with players who normally perform well and didn't, as opposed to inconsistent players or players that didn’t standout.  

Josh Allen:

Team MVP but when met with adversity he pressed and struggled.  His teammates let him down for sure, but Josh needed to play closer to MVP Josh then 2019 Josh.    

Stefan Diggs:

Unbelievable year but he struggled getting off press coverage.  He wasn’t the reliable target he has been all season long and was noticeably frustrated.  In the end his numbers were decent but he let the team down and he knew it.

Tredavious White:

Was absolutely toasted by Tyreek Hill.  Hill is a tough matchup for any corner but I’ve never seen white struggle this badly in coverage.

Offensive Line:

All 5 were just beaten so badly.  Love the fire at the end of the game but where were they for the first 3 quarters? 

Devin Singletary:

Perfect play call to get a 1st down in FG range up 9-7  Dropped an easy pass that could have been huge. You better believe the Bills are looking at RB options next year.  

Like I said earlier coaching vs. execution is a chicken vs. the egg debate.  If you have to blame 1 person, If blame McDermott since he’s the HC but the loss was a completely failure on so many levels.  At the terrible performances from some of our key players this season is eye-opening 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Too Much.....The Team ;)

Not Enough.....The fans........Bills Mafia needed to scoop up all 17,000 seats ;) 

No need to blame anyone.....there are a few holes to fill on this team...I think they exceeded all expectations for this year. 

Let our GM work his magic this off season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Frazier’s pre snap looks we’re as bland as a year old cracker.  He didn’t make Mahomes work Pre snap. There was no game of audible chess between our D and their O. He didn’t try to confuse Mahomes at all.  He KNEW what we were doing and he made Frazier look like a fool. 

Frazier is a solid dc, but deserves every bit of criticism that came his way.  

as did McD.  He coached scared and deserved to lose

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Frazier’s pre snap looks we’re as bland as a year old cracker.  He didn’t make Mahomes work Pre snap. There was no game of audible chess between our D and their O. He didn’t try to confuse Mahomes at all.  He KNEW what we were doing and he made Frazier look like a fool. 

Frazier is a solid dc, but deserves every bit of criticism that came his way.  

as did McD.  He coached scared and deserved to lose

Josh did what he could.  He was under pressure all second half for sure.  They knew Bills weren't gonna run the ball so they tee'd off on Allen at will.

• Like (+1) 5

I think you make a lot of good points on all the above. But I don’t think I’m going to get into the blame game at this point. 

I’m chalking this up as a Team Loss. All sides of the ball weren’t up to the task. The magnitude of winning an AFC title game and beyond will require all three phases of our team (and coaching) playing at its highest level. 

The best thing about this team is their character and ability to realize what stands in front of them. 17 and 14 won’t let this sit well with them. I believe Josh when it says it fuels him. We need to figure out how to get over the hurdle. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Josh did what he could.  He was under pressure all second half for sure.  They knew Bills weren't gonna run the ball so they tee'd off on Allen at will.

Agreed.  Again....not so much the OLs fault when the D tees off on every play is it?  Another reason I’m not pissed at them for defending allen.  Be pissed and Daboll for not having more of an emphasis on the running game, which has been my thing all season.  We won’t win a SB if we don’t have a threat of a run game.  Time to make that happen this off season

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  Again....not so much the OLs fault when the D tees off on every play is it?  Another reason I’m not pissed at them for defending allen.  Be pissed and Daboll for not having more of an emphasis on the running game, which has been my thing all season.  We won’t win a SB if we don’t have a threat of a run game.  Time to make that happen this off season

I got that covered lol.

I said so last year, Josh will hide Daboll's flaws and Daboll will hold this team back.  Let hire elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I got that covered lol.

I said so last year, Josh will hide Daboll's flaws and Daboll will hold this team back.  Let hire elsewhere.

👍🏻 Agreed. 

I disagree with hiring elsewhere.  I don’t think firing Daboll would be a good move in our locker room. McD needs to tell him to shape up and put more emphasis on the run game, or ship out.  We don’t have to reinvent the wheel here.  We just need to add a RB that the defenses will have to account for and a slight change in scheme/personnel 

Blaming is for losers.

The Bills have work to do to get better.  KC has more talent across the board but we are close.  A few players away.  Need some impact players in the front 7 and we need to run better.   Blaming won’t get us that.  

Beane has to find the players and McD’s staff had to coaching them.  

Great season with giant strides.  Enough of the blaming.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, bobobonators said:

I think blame is somewhat deserved, without going overboard. The Chiefs are the better team, period. We needed to play a perfect game and we didnt. We lost on the road to a superior team. No point in going nutty over it. 

Lots of posters saying this.  Not sure why.  The Chiefs were the better team going into the game, so what?  The Bills were very close--easily the 3rd best team in the NFL to that point.  They need a perfect game, they needed a far better game than they played.  They have played better.  Chiefs were struggling their last 3 games into the AFCC game.  Even before Mahomes went out, they went beating the Browns like they were handling the Bills Sunday.  Are the Browns a tougher out than the Bills?

Just now, NewEra said:

👍🏻 Agreed. 

I disagree with hiring elsewhere.  I don’t think firing Daboll would be a good move in our locker room. McD needs to tell him to shape up and put more emphasis on the run game, or ship out.  We don’t have to reinvent the wheel here.  We just need to add a RB that the defenses will have to account for and a slight change in scheme/personnel 

Not firing,  I meant if he is hired as a HC.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lots of posters saying this.  Not sure why.  The Chiefs were the better team going into the game, so what?  The Bills were very close--easily the 3rd best team in the NFL to that point.  They need a perfect game, they needed a far better game than they played.  They have played better.  Chiefs were struggling their last 3 games into the AFCC game.  Even before Mahomes went out, they went beating the Browns like they were handling the Bills Sunday.  Are the Browns a tougher out than the Bills?

Not firing,  I meant if he is hired as a HC.

👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Blaming is for losers.

The Bills have work to do to get better.  KC has more talent across the board but we are close.  A few players away.  Need some impact players in the front 7 and we need to run better.   Blaming won’t get us that.  

Beane has to find the players and McD’s staff had to coaching them.  

Great season with giant strides.  Enough of the blaming.   

I don’t agree that they have more talent. They definitely have more elite talent in Mahomes, Kelce, hill, Jones, Clark and Mathieu 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

👍🏻

I don’t agree that they have more talent. They definitely have more elite talent in Mahomes, Kelce, hill, Jones, Clark and Mathieu 

So you do agree.  “Elite talent” using your words, are the difference makers.  We have Allen, Diggs and White.  

Daboll has gotten plenty of the blame here & deserves it.

Frazier didn't do anything to confuse or make KC work.  Allowed Kelce, who everyone knew was getting the ball get off the line easily and always WIDE OPEN.

McD is in charge and didn't have the team or coaches prepared.

Allen made a few bad passes and a few that had no chance of success and you just wonder what he was doing or seeing on those plays.  Between series they'd show him on the sideline and there should have been coaches & other people talking to him or discussing options.  Yep take the easy pass underneath when necessary, but often didn't see any outlet receivers.  The simple shuttle pass to Isaiah or similar was not used (nor screens).

O-Line was downright awful.  So what if they know you are passing.  Block.

Playcalling, pre-snap movement was missing too.

KC won but struggled the last 9 weeks (only vs. Jets did they win easily) and Sunday they just dominated.  

Redzone and absolutely no imagination after going for it on fourth down the first series.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It is a match up league. The Browns do two things that the Chiefs really don't like much better than the Bills. They run the ball at your throat and they pressure from the edge. Look at the losses the Chiefs have had the last couple of years.... look at the fact that San Fran almost had them in the Superbowl.... it is teams who can run it straight at you and get pressure off the edge that keeps Mahomes in the pocket and forces him to step up. The only bits of pressure the Bills got on Sunday were sporadic rushes from Oliver up the middle that force Mahomes out and he is more comfortable with that. I think the Bills did need close to a perfect game and they didn't get anywhere close to it. 

• Like (+1) 4