[Misleading Title] Here is something to spoil your day.

I'm never EVER going to lose sleep over the Bills having a pick in every round and picking in the 30s every year.

The years of me being excited about multiple picks high in the draft are hopefully well behind us. Go Bills

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

And here’s the other thing — Beane and the Bills aren’t going to stand pat!  It’s as if folks think the Bills will stand still while everyone else tries to improve.  You don’t think Beane and McD are keenly aware of where they need to get better?  And they’re going to have one of the top 3 QB/WR combos in the league for at least the next 3-4 years.  Oh, and Josh Allen is only going to get better the more experience he has.

For sure the Bills are going to try and get better. I think the point that the OP was trying to make is Miami is still in the phase where it is easier to make big strides because they have the draft capital and picks leftover from the teardown. That is fair. There are some trickier decisions coming up for the Bills as @MAJBobby set out in his excellent thread yesterday but they are not in any sort of cap trouble. They can still make moves to get better this offseason. Will be fascinating to see how they attack it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

The phins were a tough out this year.   What improvements might come to them from the draft?  They made a good trade with Houston and picked up their 1st and 2nd round picks for this year.  Right now they have the following picks in the top 50:   (note:  the Bills have ONE.)

#3      overall,  1st round third pick

#18    overall,   1st round 18th pick

#36   overall,    2nd round 3rd pick

#50    overall,   2nd round 18th pick

Of course they already have their QB, so that 3rd pick is a luxury. Let's say they flip it for (sic) two #14 picks.  Well you can't do that, but say they flip one of those #14 picks for a #23 and a #53.  Then they would have:

#14   overall,    1st round 14th pick

#23   overall     1st round 23rd pick

#50   overall,   2nd round 18th pick

#55  overall,    2nd round 23rd pick

and

#67  overall    3rd round pick.

That is FIVE new players in the top 50 (which is considered the most likely place to get starters).

14.     Patrick Surtain, CB, Alabama.   (first CB taken)

18.     Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama. (first or second DT taken)

23.    Kenny Gainwell, RB, Memphis.  (2nd RB)

36.    Marques Stevenson, WR, Houston.

50.    Richard LeCounte, S, Georgia.

etc (players form walter football- chose you own)

OK,  they have 4 or 5 picks in the top 50.   We have one. . .   I am not very happy. Next year is going to be a dog fight.

The good news is that (1) the Dolphins actually don’t have a QB, and (2) they had three first round picks last year and failed to get a single impact player, at least so far. Maybe they will do better this year...they certainly are a team on the rise and not to be taken lightly.

The phins were a tough out this year.   What improvements might come to them from the draft?  They made a good trade with Houston and picked up their 1st and 2nd round picks for this year.  Right now they have the following picks in the top 50:   (note:  the Bills have ONE.)

Of course they already have their QB, so that 3rd pick is a luxury. Let's say they flip it for (sic) two #14 picks.  Well you can't do that, but say they flip one of those #14 picks for a #23 and a #53.  Then they would have:

and

That is FIVE new players in the top 50 (which is considered the most likely place to get starters).

OK,  they have 4 or 5 picks in the top 50.   We have one. . .   I am not very happy. Next year is going to be a dog fight.

Tua definitely hasn't solidified himself.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a bit early to annoint Tua as a franchise QB IMO.   He was pretty unimpressive as a rookie, not because of his limitations as a passer, but because he simply didn't spark his team when he was in the game.   The Phins repeatedly turned to Fitzpatrick because Tua was so ineffective, and he never showed that he can be a real leader, which is what separates franchise QBs from competent journeymen.   Russell Wilson, as a rookie, didn't put up impressive passing stats but there was no doubt that he was the leader.  Josh Allen was terrible as a passer as a rookie but there was no doubt that he sparked his team when he was in the game.   Lamar Jackson made his mark as a rookie primarily as a runner, but again, he sparked his team to play much better compared to the way it played under veteran Joe Flacco.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

What a weird thread.  Effectively crowning Tua their franchise QB, calling them a tough out after dominating them with backups week 17...

They need those picks good for them.

Yes we dominated in that second game. Scores can get run up.  We won the first game by only 3 points and most of the game was a one score difference.  Remember that they are a younger team than we are and we are just about to get into big new contracts and losing some aging players, while they are young and on cheap contracts. I would be surprised to see in the next year or two, that they use their good cap position to splurge on some FA's to put them over the top.

AMMENDMENT:  yes we blew them out the very last game.  We beat them by 3 points in the first game.

and

Is Tua still their QB? Bills take this division by at least 2 games 

• Like (+1) 1

AMMENDMENT:  yes we blew them out the very last game.  We beat them by 3 points in the first game.

and

I feel like the talent in this draft sucks except for a few QB’s. 

4 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Yes we dominated in that second game. Scores can get run up.  We won the first game by only 3 points and most of the game was a one score difference.  Remember that they are a younger team than we are and we are just about to get into big new contracts and losing some aging players, while they are young and on cheap contracts. I would be surprised to see in the next year or two, that they use their good cap position to splurge on some FA's to put them over the top.

You do realize the Bills can do that too by simply saying they are trading Josh to the highest bidder then we get to start all over again with all those draft picks 

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It's a bit early to annoint Tua as a franchise QB IMO.   He was pretty unimpressive as a rookie, not because of his limitations as a passer, but because he simply didn't spark his team when he was in the game.   The Phins repeatedly turned to Fitzpatrick because Tua was so ineffective, and he never showed that he can be a real leader, which is what separates franchise QBs from competent journeymen.   Russell Wilson, as a rookie, didn't put up impressive passing stats but there was no doubt that he was the leader.  Josh Allen was terrible as a passer as a rookie but there was no doubt that he sparked his team when he was in the game.   Lamar Jackson made his mark as a rookie primarily as a runner, but again, he sparked his team to play much better compared to the way it played under veteran Joe Flacco.

I don't see it with Tua. He is accurate but he throws little 3 yard passes so him being accurate isn't that impressive. He doesn't have the arm strength to make all the throws you need to make as an NFL QB. Their is a reason why the Dolphins have been mentioned in talks to acquire Watson. If Tua was someone they truly believed in then they wouldn't entertain the thought of trading for Watson. I know the Bills would laugh at Houston if they called and wanted to trade him for Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Uh...what in the world makes you think they are satisfied with their QB situation?  Tua did not look good at all last year despite what the pundits were saying as he was putting up under 100 yards passing in 33% of his starts.  Also, not to be that guy, but looks like you don't know what "sic" means.  It is used when you are quoting something and you leave an error in the quote (like spelling for example) to keep the quote accurate.  Its like, yeah, I know this is wrong but this is how the source had it and I am just copying what they did, I'm not the idiot, they are sort of thing.

Edit - "Don't" know! 

Please !!!  Go back to your high school English teacher and correct your sentence  " Its like, yeah, I know this is wrong but this is how the source had it and I am just copying what they did, I'm not the idiot, they are sort of thing.".   Then you will be fully qualified to be a language nazi on a football fan site.

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I feel like the talent in this draft sucks except for a few QB’s. 

It does seem to be down this year. We have no running game. I would be surprised if there are more than 3 RB's taken in the first two rounds this year- and not because of the run on them last year.

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You do realize the Bills can do that too by simply saying they are trading Josh to the highest bidder then we get to start all over again with all those draft picks 

Yes we could. No we won't.  Successfully drafting a QB, even in the top 15, is a real crap shoot and you don't give one up once you find one.   When you are in a position to have a window to the super bowl then you take it.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

and

<<<<<yes we blew them out in the last game and they imploded. They are building and are a combination of scrubs and recent higher draft picks.  We won the first game, with Fritz QB the whole way, by 3 points.  >>>>>

Without Digging into them yet, as I am doing the Bills right now.  First impressions MIA has issues on: OL, RB, WR, LBer, Safeties, and a huge ? at QB.

10 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Please !!!  Go back to your high school English teacher and correct your sentence  " Its like, yeah, I know this is wrong but this is how the source had it and I am just copying what they did, I'm not the idiot, they are sort of thing.".   Then you will be fully qualified to be a language nazi on a football fan site.

It does seem to be down this year. We have no running game. I would be surprised if there are more than 3 RB's taken in the first two rounds this year- and not because of the run on them last year.

My lord, relax.  You used a completely wrong word in your post that made absolutely zero sense.  I tried to politely let you know so you don't continue to look like an idiot the rest of your life.  Thin skinned much?  Also, there is a comma after "Then" in that sentence and your take is garbage.  Bye, Felicia!

Edited by Mark80
  • Dislike 1

The Dolphins were a well-rounded team this last year, and if I were Flores I would have wanted the same thing. However, something the Bills learned in the worst way possible, is that if you have an elite QB, every other component is complementary. 

I don't know that Tua is the answer for the team at QB and while the Dolphins really did play well as a team, what we saw was that if the team couldn't support each other in every phase, Offense-Defense-AND Special Teams, they couldn't beat a team with an elite QB. 

An elite QB overcomes nearly everything most weeks and when the team puts pieces in place to augment that elite QB, which includes playing sound Defense, that team becomes nearly unstoppable - see the Chiefs and Bucs unfortunately. So while the Dolphins have Draft picks and FA money to spend, until they solve the QB puzzle with an elite QB, they will remain a "good" team, but probably always on the fringe. The 2000 Ravens are the aberration, outlier and exception to the standard and to me, I think Flores is building the team in a similar model. I understand why building the team that way makes sense right now, but the QB is absolutely still undecided for their future IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Without Digging into them yet, as I am doing the Bills right now.  First impressions MIA has issues on: OL, RB, WR, LBer, Safeties, and a huge ? at QB.

Yea that is about right. I think they could add anywhere on the Oline but certainly need an upgrade at center (think Karras is a FA), they have a desperate need for a wide receiver who separates to compliment Williams and Parker who are more contested catch guys and because at the moment unless you are clearly open Tua isn't gonna throw it. Linebacker, running back and safety are then the second tier needs as is pass rusher. 

• Like (+1) 1

The AFC East will be a tough division this season.

The Patriots have a ton of cap space and all those players that opted out over Covid will be back. All they need to do is find a QB, Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, a rookie in the draft? 

The Dolphins will be improved and might just draft a QB with that #3 overall pick.

QB Zach Wilson?

The NY Jets with a new defensive minded HC, could keep or trade away Darnold and draft a QB like Justin Fields with their #2 overall pick.

One of them will probably draft WR Devonta Smith, Alabama.

The division won't be creampuffs this season and I highly doubt the Bills sweep them all again. 

Buffalo will improve too.