I bet Diggs will ask for a new contract

DCofNC

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You could also state that “QB” provided Diggs his best season as a pro and one of the best ever as a WR!!!  But, you could never bring yourself to add that as a caveat!

So when people ask if “Josh will take a hometown discount”. Stuff like this is the only way it works I think. Josh wouldn’t take less to “sign other players” but he might say, I’ll take 38M, give the other 4m to Diggs and lock him up with me. 

After seeing what Diggs brought to this team it is obvious he is “underpaid” with respect to the top WRs in the league.  If I am Beane I don’t wait for Diggs to get “upset” about his deal, I go to him and say “we know you outperformed your contract and we are working through things to make our roster better next year so be patient with us, we’ll take care of you” or something to that effect.  Get out in front of it.

And yes, I absolutely believe Josh Allen wants to be in Buffalo for his entire career and will be willing to accept a fair but team-friendly contract.

I think hes a prime candidate to restructure his deal. Maybe not this offseason, but probably by the end of the year. Just my opinion, but I dont think he'll hold out. And I dont think hes satisfied yet to just go after a payday no matter what. I think he wants a Super Bowl win and sees a chance to do it with the Bills. 

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

He is 15th in average per year.  Underpaid, yes and I agree something will probably be done.  Add 4 million and he jumps to 6 ahead of Tyreek Hill and Mike Evans.  The Deandre Hopkins deal is ridiculous IMO.  He does not have the leverage of being an impending FA.  Beasley is 31 and John Brown is 26 in average pay so the Bills have a lot of resources at WR.  As a lot of others have said, Brown may be let go or possibly extended to reduce his money in 2021 vs the cap.   This will be an interesting off season for the Bills when it comes to contracts......they are no longer flush with cap space.

Sorry, if his agent suggested getting paid more than Tyreek, It would be a good time to turn on the AFCC game film. 

He gets paid plenty already. AND the Bills already moved money up for him this year, so he made more than originally planned.

However, he has no guaranteed money left. I think if Beane were to simply guarantee the rest of his contract, it would go a long way and he'd be happy.

That way, Diggs is secure and happy, and it doesnt cost us anything more.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Hopkins has an average annual salary of a little over 27 million a year.  Diggs average is 14.4 million per year.  He's crazy if he doesn't demand a raise.

That's not entirely accurate.  They added-on 2 more years to his deal at $27M/year.  What he's getting paid by the Cards is about $18.9M/year over 5 years.

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He gets paid plenty already. AND the Bills already moved money up for him this year, so he made more than originally planned.

However, he has no guaranteed money left. I think if Beane were to simply guarantee the rest of his contract, it would go a long way and he'd be happy.

That way, Diggs is secure and happy, and it doesnt cost us anything more.

That's not quite true.  $11M of Diggs 2021 salary becomes guaranteed in March

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

That's not entirely accurate.  They added-on 2 more years to his deal at $27M/year.  What he's getting paid by the Cards is about $18.9M/year over 5 years.

That's pretty much what the Bills will do also this offseason. Another reason Smoke will be released and Gabriel Davis will step into his role. 

3 hours ago, Mango said:

So when people ask if “Josh will take a hometown discount”. Stuff like this is the only way it works I think. Josh wouldn’t take less to “sign other players” but he might say, I’ll take 38M, give the other 4m to Diggs and lock him up with me. 

Mahomes essentially did the same thing for Chris Jones.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Even further, misleading.

Hopkins salary this season was $1.5M with a $7M cap hit.

For 2021, $4.7M  giving him a $12.5M cap hit

2022, he has a big roster bonus which brings him to a $25M cap hit.   The 2022 salary also reportedly becomes guaranteed at the start of the 2021 league year.

It's not like Hopkins is bringing home $25M or $18.9M this year or next

https://overthecap.com/player/deandre-hopkins/2208/

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That's pretty much what the Bills will do also this offseason. Another reason Smoke will be released and Gabriel Davis will step into his role. 

The Bills adjusted his contract last year and he knows there's a cap crunch.  Again I bet he doesn't ask for more money until 2022.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills adjusted his contract last year and he knows there's a cap crunch.  Again I bet he doesn't ask for more money until 2022.

They will adjust it again. Bills will reward players that completely outperform their contract. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

He clearly out played his deal this year, I bet he threatens a hold out if he doesn’t get paid to match production. All this FA talk and we are about to enter the situation with 50-60M a year in the QB and 1 WR, lots of people are going to be gone.

I’ll go ahead and say your wrong, Diggs got a boost in pay when he signed in Buffalo after getting a new contract/more pay shortly before he left the Vikings. Diggs would be a massive tool on all fronts to insist on additional money at this time, that and Beane will tell him as much, only in a more professional manner should he choose to go down that road. 

Go Bills!!!

comparing to Hopkins is misleading, as he signed just a 2 year contract, so it's yearly value is a lot higher.

In terms of total contact value, Diggs is the 8th highest, behind the likes Keenan Allen and Jarvis Landry, ahead of Julio and Devante Adams.

AAV, he is 16th. Of guys on a 5 year contract, he is 7th. Amari Cooper, OBJ, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, and JArvis Landry are ahead of him.

Finally, keep in mind that Diggs is almost purely a Z WR. Traditionally thought of as a #2. But when looking at Flankers, Tyreke Hill (3 year contract ,who plays a lot of X), Robert Woods, Adam Thielen (4 year contract), and Jarvis Landry (5 years) have a higher AAV.

In terms of total contract value, he is the 2nd highest paid Z in the NFL, he is 3M behind Jarvis Landry, who signed extensions in the same year (2018).

His agent might be able to argue for about 2-3M a year more, but not much more than that. Not when Diggs is 28. 

I love Diggs and think he's an elite Z. But an elite Z is certainly not as impactful as an elite X

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's not quite true.  $11M of Diggs 2021 salary becomes guaranteed in March

Yes, but that isnt that big of a guarantee. Just guarantee the rest of the contract. It doesnt change our financials, isnt that big of a hit if something were to happen, and it gives him security into the future if there is a freak accident in camp or something (watch those rubber mats!).