Dime Coverage

I know there have been alot of new threads today, but I don't think many if at all have discussed the Xs/Os of our lack of dime coverage/personel.

Yes yes DL can be improved in the offseason and I've beaten this drum already too.  

But, why aren't we running any dime looks?  We came out with our 1st defensive drive, 3rd down, with a 3-2-6 dime package (Siran pressing Kelce), then abandoned it altogether...why?

We will get a great look at how a dime defensive package can work against KC when Tampa plays them, they have invested heavily in their defensive backfield and will certainly utilize it.

For us, I can probably count on 2 hands how many times we ran a 4-man line, dime look or 3-man dime.package all season. 

Especially with Dane Jackson, he's the perfect dime back...and could have been utilized this past week.  Hes physical and can play in the slot or outside, and a solid blitzer.  Pitt moved him around a lot at college, and wish we would have tried.  Or at least go with Neal or even Marlowe out there...McD/Frazier great coaches but lack of creativity at times.

• Agree 1

I think defensive philosophy could be discussed.

If this is a full on passing league with QBs that eat zone coverages for lunch do we need to play more man in your face and look more like the Patriots Dolphins Steelers Bucs and Ravens?  This would require a philosophical change.  I doubt McD does that.   

But 3-4 defenses still seem to be the ones giving QBs the hardest time.  

The best 4-3 defense in the league is the Rams and we know why.  The Bears.  The Redskins.  Notice a theme was there.  And I don't know how we get elite pass rushers by September.   

The D was like last year to me.   Great against Drew Lock, Nick Mullins, Tua, Cam (almost lost the first one), The corpse of Big Ben, whatever the Jets do, the Chargers (they did have 400 yards and horrendous coaching).  

Our personnel just isn't good enough.  We won games because we outscored everyone.  I'm hopeful we'll be doing that again but I'd like to not feel like we have to score 30 plus every week. 

The great to elite offenses had zero issue with us.    

This defenses record against good to great offenses and QBs is not good.  I'm expecting a lot of overhaul on D.  

It's time this D gets an honest evaluation.  

• Like (+1) 2

Chiefs ran dime almost exclusively against us, even with Knox and singletary in the game. Guess that’s how much they respect they didn’t have for our running game

Edited by Tjm3

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

I know there have been alot of new threads today, but I don't think many if at all have discussed the Xs/Os of our lack of dime coverage/personel.

Yes yes DL can be improved in the offseason and I've beaten this drum already too.  

But, why aren't we running any dime looks?  We came out with our 1st defensive drive, 3rd down, with a 3-2-6 dime package (Siran pressing Kelce), then abandoned it altogether...why?

We will get a great look at how a dime defensive package can work against KC when Tampa plays them, they have invested heavily in their defensive backfield and will certainly utilize it.

For us, I can probably count on 2 hands how many times we ran a 4-man line, dime look or 3-man dime.package all season. 

Especially with Dane Jackson, he's the perfect dime back...and could have been utilized this past week.  Hes physical and can play in the slot or outside, and a solid blitzer.  Pitt moved him around a lot at college, and wish we would have tried.  Or at least go with Neal or even Marlowe out there...McD/Frazier great coaches but lack of creativity at times.

That's why I think you're going to see a whole lot of Dane Jackson next year. And why not put 6-5 Edmunds on Kelce press coverage all night? Kelce turns 32 this October. He's not getting younger. 

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The only way to slow down elite TEs is with DBs covering them.  They are too fast and too big for linebackers.

The only way to beat the Chiefs is to blitz Mahommes mercilessly 

Apparently you don't know that Mahomes is like the best QB ever when blitzed? He is unstoppable when you blitz him. He showed it in the Bills game the few times we blitzed him. He burned us bad.

Beating Mahomes requires PRESSURE without the blitz.

• Agree 1

Exactly MJS.  Blitz, if you play predominantly dime you expose yourself badly to the run game like we did in game 6.  We were 15-3 this year and would’ve been 16-2 if not for a fluke Hail Mary play that normally doesn’t work.  That’s not exactly a failure.  

To take the next step, we must improve getting to the QB with four.  The backfield is fine.  They may use their first pick on a DB depending on their board.  If not, it will be a pass rusher.

One last thing is I watch all of Tampa games as I live here and they run a 3-4, and run nickel more than dime.  They can do that because they have penetrating defensive lineman.