Theory on why Allen struggles against KC

Mikie2times

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Here is the issue tho.  Why did it not matter in the vast majority of games this year?  We played much much better pass rushing teams than the Chiefs, blocked them up well and shredded them. No excuse to allow a poor pass rushing team against every other team in the NFL to look like the 85 Bears both games against us.

That's where I'm at. We had solid pass pro all year and against much better teams. To me it extends past just the front four. Allen is more hesitant and it creates a delay in his release. That at least appears what it looks like to me.  

Edited by KzooMike

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Brown is still hurt. I said before that Arizona game which was his last before IR that I thought he needed surgery. I still think he needs surgery. He has been out there not healthy IMO. 

We should know in the next week or so then.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They did occassionally show a grasp or jersey hold. Face it we weren't get any of those calls. The NFL wanted and got their premier matchup. If we had a running game maybe they wouldn't have been able to flood the secondary. 

This 100 percent. I've seen way too many cases of calls and non calls in big situations

to doubt the refs aren't driving the games. 

Bills vs Packers with covid affecting the commercials...would be a numbers disaster for the NFL.

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

They weren't doing anything confusing on defense

They were pressing our receivers and mugging them downfield. can't get separation when you're being mugged and the refs are holding the flag 

Josh couldn't get rid of the ball because there was no open receivers downfield

They played single high man coverage - with some occaisional shade to diggs, or mathieu as a robber in the middle (essentially inside help against bease option routes).  They also were pretty grabby.  

• Like (+1) 1

As always, there were a number of contributing factors at play here.

One's that I noted or heard about from expert viewers (Eric Wood/ Cover 1) were:

1 - The extremely grabby defenders (Bills need to learn to play this way on D too if they get back to the AFC title game)

2- KC was waiting til Josh reacted to their alignment on D with adjustments, then they would switch out and then switch back to their original defensive alignment with very few seconds left on the clock causing confusion on the re-load

3- Crowd noise had both of our tackles reacting a split second late on snaps (which they weren't used to this year)

4- Our receivers were seriously banged up (especially Davis, Brown and Beasley to a degree)

25 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

As always, there were a number of contributing factors at play here.

One's that I noted or heard about from expert viewers (Eric Wood/ Cover 1) were:

1 - The extremely grabby defenders (Bills need to learn to play this way on D too if they get back to the AFC title game)

2- KC was waiting til Josh reacted to their alignment on D with adjustments, then they would switch out and then switch back to their original defensive alignment with very few seconds left on the clock causing confusion on the re-load

3- Crowd noise had both of our tackles reacting a split second late on snaps (which they weren't used to this year)

4- Our receivers were seriously banged up (especially Davis, Brown and Beasley to a degree)

To me the first one is the biggest one because we did not take advantage of it on defense. If we had used Edmunds on Kelce and forced Kelce to fight more I think we would have done better. That being said we were not sharp and KC had their best game in 3 months so winning that one was gonna be almost impossible.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Albwan said:

This 100 percent. I've seen way too many cases of calls and non calls in big situations

to doubt the refs aren't driving the games. 

Bills vs Packers with covid affecting the commercials...would be a numbers disaster for the NFL.

Completely disagree and it’s crazy to think like that. The Packers are one of the most popular teams in the entire nfl. The Bills were the darlings of the postseason and would have been hugely popular.  Buffalo GB would have been a super popular football. 

we lost to a slightly better team. It sucks but I don’t understand conspiracy people. What a terrible way to live.

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

My opinion has nothing to do with what Tony Romo said

They obviously played more than one coverage the whole game

But if you had to break it down by coverages, by far the most used was a cover one robber press, or feigning back to cover 2 press 

Our outside receivers were manned up pretty much the entire game on the line of scrimmage. They were playing soft inside on the slot

Also, JA was not given much time to either (1) survey the field and wait for the WR to start breaking open (2) Decide to roll out and throw on the run or (3) run it himself. 

It is unlikely that our WRs, who have done a good job of separation most of the season, suddenly found themselves befuddled by the Chiefs press coverage. To compound issues, the lack of a balanced attack provided few options to JA

The best way to put pressure on the opposing QB is to go out and score 35+ points. 

All of a sudden you can just cut your very talented DL loose, send a blitz here and there, and the opposing offense needs to be perfect. Dropping a pass, taking a sack, fumbling... all death sentences, or at least it feels like it, because once they punt you awkwardly trot out and in 3 plays it's 7 more points. 

If you're playing with the mentality of needing lots of TDs you are going to press all game. That helps a fast, aggressive defense do its work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Basically IMO the Bills are a pass only offense.  The KC defense including coaching is very good against the pass.  The Bills had no answer either game.  And with Mahomes and the weapons he has, they were going to score.  The Bills couldn't keep up and got frustrated.  To compete with KC , and quite frankly take the next step, they will need to not be one dimensional on offense, get a running game (including the ability to run block) more than just Josh Allen.

Josh Allen made incredible advances this past off season and that is the biggest reason for the teams success this season.  To take the next step will require some GM and coaching advances this off season. Which I'm confident this team has the ability to do.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Basically IMO the Bills are a pass only offense.  The KC defense including coaching is very good against the pass.  The Bills had no answer either game.  And with Mahomes and the weapons he has, they were going to score.  The Bills couldn't keep up and got frustrated.  To compete with KC , and quite frankly take the next step, they will need to not be one dimensional on offense, get a running game (including the ability to run block) more than just Josh Allen.

Josh Allen made incredible advances this past off season and that is the biggest reason for the teams success this season.  To take the next step will require some GM and coaching advances this off season. Which I'm confident this team has the ability to do.

Yes, we need to add to the offense, in particular the run game. We will always be a pass first offense but adding the run element will avoid situations like last weekend.

But dont ignore the defense, which needs quite a lot of attention. The O was masking the flaws but thats not a championship-quality D. I can immediately think of needs such as 1x DL, 1x LB, 2xDBs, 1x EDGE which have to be added over the offseason to truly contend for the Lombardi.

In a way, I am "happy" that we lost last weekend rather than put up this crappy show in the Superbowl against a Brady-led offense. I would have been monumentally more depressed if we had lost the SB, in this fashion, against Brady 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Maybe some of their linebackers were moving around. But 80% of the game, their secondary was lined up in cover one press, ran a bunch of robber, or feigned robber and played cover two man press

They weren't that confusing pre-snap. 

They pressed and manned up on our receivers the whole game, while dialing in the blitz

true, and the did it very well.

my issue with out D when we fall back to bad habits is it allows for no disguise, and it's easy for QBs to manipulate our LBs who seem to at time be asked to do not just something they can't do well, but the impossible.

Does not see them enough also he did a very good job on Sunday, the next time they play is were Josh shines, Josh always struggles against a team the first time around he plays them again and  makes teams pay Miami and Patriots ring a bell.  The problem is our Defense this year and I think it goes deeper than just talent on the field, McDermott and Frazier I believe had disagreements over the play book and how the defense should be run.  My theory is the Jets game in the Meadowlands  this year in the first half you saw a defense where they let the Jets down nickel and dime us to death and letting the Jets in the End zone not getting one sack (Reminds me of Sunday). All of a sudden the 2nd Half starts there is a new defense that emerges one that does not let the Jets get a first down and sacking Darnold I think 6 times.  If you notice the players  one day they show up and are all over the field making plays sacking the Qb and looking like the 85 bears out there and then there is another where players our lost, they don't know who to cover, and don't get a sack and look like they need a smoke break when there is a time out on the field this just a theory but I hope other fans notice it too.

4 minutes ago, Plano said:

Defensive Holding is how they got away with it. 

That's not the only reason we lost, but that's why our receivers weren't getting open.

"sticky coverage" AKA defensive holding AKA pass interference. 

I agree look at the Tampa and Green Bay game the pass interference was going on all day the only reason they called the one that ended the game is because Tom was the Quarterback.  But I agree Diggs was getting up every time and looking at the Refs like saying come on man.

19 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was watching the game highlights today from the Bucs/Chiefs game to see how they defensed Brady. it was pretty similar.

How did Brady handle it? Check downs. Gronk and Jones had huge days on simple crosses and dump downs. 

I think those were there last night and josh didn’t take them. I also think the little crosses to Knox were there all night— but were rarely called. Once, I think. The chiefs can’t cover those very well. Other teams target their LB’s and Sorenson in coverage on those.

Ding ding ding! Bingo!  Josh doesn’t take underneath things. Been an issue with him all year.  Chris sims pointed it out several times.  I blame this on Josh and I heap more blame on Daboll.  He has this great friendship with josh. Well that ok but sometimes a coach needs to get in a players ear and chew them a new one.  There was stuff open underneath all night and Jon’s keeps holding the ball as guys cross in front of him and then finally gets the ball out too late IF HE THROWS underneath I the area they are giving him open receivers. He does not trust them to make YAC. Maybe it’s somewhat justified cuz all Daboll gives him underneath is Devin or Knox usually , sending the wrs on deeper routes. Except for Beasley , who josh will go to but most of the time he hits Beasley late and makes it s mor difficult pass or it takes away Beasley s ability to cut after catching the ball. This is mostly o. Josh and his coaches letting him get away with this. Watch mahomes. Same talented arm strength , but he is not afraid to flip the ball out quickly , underhanded , sidearm , anything of the guys are open. Rarely do you see him siting back there debating.  You rarely see him take 25 yard sacks like moss does almost once a game.

Hey , love Josh as a competitor, he is tough and great fit for Buffalo. But he still has flaws he keeps saying “ I can’t do that . , yet he repeats the same decision flaws over and over.   He has corrected mechanical flaws. He has not corrected hero ball , holding the ball too long looking for the big plays way to often.  If he woiod just check Down 10% more , the d woiod have to come up more and get out of those deep drops that blanket joshes preferred throwing routes.  Needs coaches to hammer this ; hey if Belichick can give Brady ***** after 20 years , josh can grow a little and take some valid criticism and teaching still. He still has a ways to go to be on a level with mahomes , Rodgers , Brady who were part of the final 4.  Brady and mahomes rarely make huge negative plays and to take the next step , Josh needs to ,once and for all learn it’s ok to take what’s there.  Still young , still much room to grow. 

16 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Ding ding ding! Bingo!  Josh doesn’t take underneath things. Been an issue with him all year.  Chris sims pointed it out several times.  I blame this on Josh and I heap more blame on Daboll.  He has this great friendship with josh. Well that ok but sometimes a coach needs to get in a players ear and chew them a new one.  There was stuff open underneath all night and Jon’s keeps holding the ball as guys cross in front of him and then finally gets the ball out too late IF HE THROWS underneath I the area they are giving him open receivers. He does not trust them to make YAC. Maybe it’s somewhat justified cuz all Daboll gives him underneath is Devin or Knox usually , sending the wrs on deeper routes. Except for Beasley , who josh will go to but most of the time he hits Beasley late and makes it s mor difficult pass or it takes away Beasley s ability to cut after catching the ball. This is mostly o. Josh and his coaches letting him get away with this. Watch mahomes. Same talented arm strength , but he is not afraid to flip the ball out quickly , underhanded , sidearm , anything of the guys are open. Rarely do you see him siting back there debating.  You rarely see him take 25 yard sacks like moss does almost once a game.

Hey , love Josh as a competitor, he is tough and great fit for Buffalo. But he still has flaws he keeps saying “ I can’t do that . , yet he repeats the same decision flaws over and over.   He has corrected mechanical flaws. He has not corrected hero ball , holding the ball too long looking for the big plays way to often.  If he woiod just check Down 10% more , the d woiod have to come up more and get out of those deep drops that blanket joshes preferred throwing routes.  Needs coaches to hammer this ; hey if Belichick can give Brady ***** after 20 years , josh can grow a little and take some valid criticism and teaching still. He still has a ways to go to be on a level with mahomes , Rodgers , Brady who were part of the final 4.  Brady and mahomes rarely make huge negative plays and to take the next step , Josh needs to ,once and for all learn it’s ok to take what’s there.  Still young , still much room to grow. 

Dude just had the best quarterbacking season in franchise history.  It’s his third year.  He has so much God-given arm talent he has not yet had to even begin to master his short game.  He will have to adjust and why wouldn’t he?  It’s the easier part of the game to get better at as a QB.  That and understanding how to use a running game (checking into the right runs etc.) will take him to Grand Master level and extend his career.  It will happen probably as soon as next year.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely disagree and it’s crazy to think like that. The Packers are one of the most popular teams in the entire nfl. The Bills were the darlings of the postseason and would have been hugely popular.  Buffalo GB would have been a super popular football. 

we lost to a slightly better team. It sucks but I don’t understand conspiracy people. What a terrible way to live.

Bills v Brady would’ve been huuuge!