Positions to look at/improve in the offseason

I hate to say it but a big problem is our reliance on zone defense as our primary defense. If you look at teams that made the final 4 all except Buffalo plays man coverage. Most coaches would rather play man BUT from a cost perspective zone corners are cheaper than man corners. The BILLS had to play Tre White but he really needs to pick up his man coverage to justify his contract. 

Most QB's worth a damn will pick zone defenses apart UNLESS the team running zone has a GREAT pass rush. Think of the 49ers team that went to the Super Bowl last year. I'm not saying ditch zone coverage all together but we should be able to say we are playing man coverage and do it well when the situation dictates it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Wrong answer to the wrong problem.  Rush the passer.  That is how you prevent the TE from catching passes.

No arguments there the entire defensive line needs a makeover. Guys played out of position due to Stars opt out. This is a small defense across the board. Finding pass rushers and a tackle to play alongside Oliver should be a priority as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Team should be focusing on what it will take to beat KC. Finding a guy who can cover TEs worth a damn would be a start.

Did anyone cover Kelce this season? Look at his game log for the season one bad game, 3 catches for 31 yards against Denver. Other than that he was beating everyone https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15847/travis-kelce

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Stud rb with breakaway speed

a legit TE (Knox has shown some flashes though)

a dominant pass rusher

maybe another cb

probably another OLB

little tweaks. The future is so bright. 

I’ll agree with this list but I’d stick with Knox and instead go after TWO pass rushers. Get it done Beane! 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll agree with this list but I’d stick with Knox and instead go after TWO pass rushers. Get it done Beane! 

By the way...assuming we get Star back is another ‘free’ addition. Has anyone heard from him at all?

11 hours ago, TBBills said:

No what they need to do is not care all the sudden and just let everything collapse aka Houston style... What do you think they do almost every day? This whole roster is being looked at all the time.

Nobody's saying "blow up the roster and start over."  It's the off-season, and I can guarantee McBeane has already identified a few areas where the roster is comparatively weak and where they can make some improvements.  

I mean, does anybody here think that we're in good shape at RB?  McDermott obviously doesn't.  Surely we can all agree that our pass rush and coverage against TEs wasn't up to standard.  Those aren't problems that just showed up on Sunday night -- we've been talking about them all season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

One additional danger with the "Don't blow up the roster that got us here" mentality is that it often leads teams to re-sign "name" players who are past their expiration date to contracts that exceed their value, in the interest of keeping the band together for one more gig.  That generally doesn't work.  

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. DE - Addison was a terrible signing.  He is washed up.  They need to get younger and faster on the edge.  I suspect he will be back nextyear as a veteran rotation guy given the contract he signed.  Murphy will be gone.  I like the weight loss they asked Epenesa to do.  His frame now looks like TJ Watt now.  I don't think he will ever be as explosive as TJ Watt but he may be able to contribute some next year.

2. Center - Morse is overpaid and a concussion away from missing serious time.  They should cut him, move Feliciano to C, and draft a true center in the first three rounds.  Then start Ford at guard.

3. Edge - move Edmunds to edge and find a new MLB.  Solves two problems.  Edmunds is a terrible MLB.  He would be amazing OLB.

4. TE - I had hoped Knox would break out but that didn't happen.  They will let Kroft go so adding another TE to compete with Knox will be a necessity

5. QB - neither Fromm or Barkley should be counted on to win a few games if Allen missed time.  Fromm has a Peterman arm and while I have no issue with the wasting a day 3 pick on a QB, I just hope they do it on a guy that can at least throw a NFL pass.

Yeah, I disagree with this list.

Our top needs are 

1. RB1 

2. Interior OL

3. DT

4. Pass rusher

5. Gadget player/ playmaker

Morse is our best OL but has concussion issues and age. He's also a big leader. We should keep him, but draft a good C/ G to groom, possibly step in at Gaurd. Most folks think Felciano will be gone. Id personally keep him too.

TE your stuck on the notion an offense needs a playmaker at TE to win. We dont need a 100 catch TE. We need some solid depth here, but dont neccesarily need this to win.

Edge...no evidence Edmumds can be out there and we know our D loves him at MLB. Edmunds is still very young and a pro bowler. He may be overrated, but he's not terrible. This is ridiculous.

QB we are fine here. Maybe draft a late round QB or UDFA.

10 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I hate to say it but a big problem is our reliance on zone defense as our primary defense. If you look at teams that made the final 4 all except Buffalo plays man coverage. Most coaches would rather play man BUT from a cost perspective zone corners are cheaper than man corners. The BILLS had to play Tre White but he really needs to pick up his man coverage to justify his contract. 

Most QB's worth a damn will pick zone defenses apart UNLESS the team running zone has a GREAT pass rush. Think of the 49ers team that went to the Super Bowl last year. I'm not saying ditch zone coverage all together but we should be able to say we are playing man coverage and do it well when the situation dictates it.

The problem is no pass rush / pressure with base line while in zone.