Former Bills DC Mike Pettine under fire

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Yikes — these are extremely tough words about Pettine from LaFleur: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/mike-pettine-under-fire-after-bucs-touchdown-before-halftime/

I am certain the Bills will be scrutinizing all 120 plays in the game themselves.

But I am grateful that McDermott isn't doing so in public.  I don't think it helps the team.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yikes — these are extremely tough words about Pettine from LaFleur: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/mike-pettine-under-fire-after-bucs-touchdown-before-halftime/

He should be, it was a terrible call, but...

Not as bad as the HC kicking the FG or you know Rodgers running the ball into the end zone on the 3rd down play (I could have ran it in). Or the GM drafting Jordan Love in the first, AJ Dillon in the second = 2 picks who contributed nothing to this team, expect Love pissing their HOF QB off....

Plenty of blame to go around. Dumpster fire in GB

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

Not as bad as the HC kicking the FG or you know Rodgers running the ball into the end zone on the 3rd down play (I could have ran it in). Or the GM drafting Jordan Love in the first, AJ Dillon in the second = 2 picks who contributed nothing to this team, expect Love pissing their HOF QB off....

All true. But as I was watching that, I immediately thought that if anyone gets singled (which I thought would never happen), Brady would attack.  So predictable. Basically you play coverage and concede the 45 yard FG attempt there. That was obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

All true. But as I was watching that, I immediately thought that if anyone gets singled (which I thought would never happen), Brady would attack.  So predictable. Basically you play coverage and concede the 45 yard FG attempt there. That was obvious.

It was horrendous and to me that was the end of GB right there...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Pettine has always been known as a go for broke DC, always susceptible to the big play. Brady knew this. Pettine probably took gambles in getting the 3 picks as well. 

The picks are slightly overrated. The one near the end zone was really bad, but the other two were effectively punts. Arians is a believer in Mike Martz, who always downplayed deep INTs thrown from your own end to the other end as risks worth making because the penalty for doing so was negligible.

The td at the end of the half is hard to accept.  There would be fire Petrine threads all over if that happened to the Bills.  But I find it interesting the coach is so critical there when it was the offense that failed on a bunch of 4th quarter drives after the defense picked Brady off three times.  Rodgers threw a bad pick that gave Brady that opportunity. And lefleur himself chose a fg when there was no guarantee to get the ball back.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Pettine has always been known as a go for broke DC, always susceptible to the big play. Brady knew this. Pettine probably took gambles in getting the 3 picks as well. 

I feel like I remember Pettine sending a delayed blitz on a Hail Mary when he was with us, and it was brilliant. Super effective—QB couldn’t get the pass off. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I feel like I remember Pettine sending a delayed blitz on a Hail Mary when he was with us, and it was brilliant. Super effective—QB couldn’t get the pass off. 

That works against an early-to-mid career Fitzpatrick, who was still basically a backup masquerading as a starter. Against Brady and a cast of elite receivers? No.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Dillon was injured for some games. He posted 5.3 YPC and was effective when he was in the game.  He had a full 1 YPC more than Moss.

GB lost because their OL could not block the Tampa DL.  

100% agree I thought Rodgers should have run for the goal line on that 3rd down

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Dillon was injured for some games. He posted 5.3 YPC and was effective when he was in the game.  He had a full 1 YPC more than Moss.

I think Rodgers just missed it - one glance to the right there, and he would have seen that he could have coasted in, but he was too focused on the receivers.  

Tough day of "what if's" for GB.  At least we didn't have that in our game.

Not that I'm some kind of prognosticator, but I was definitely thinking on that TD before the half that the Packers should worry more about the hail mary than about trying to prevent a FG attempt.  Probably my time as a Bills fan always thinking of worst case scenario.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Still could have taken much better players that would have helped them this year. Dillion was not going to give them more than Jones this year (he had 16 TDs last year and 1k yards)

Just now, Success said:

I think Rodgers just missed it - one glance to the right there, and he would have seen that he could have coasted in, but he was too focused on the receivers.  

Tough day of "what if's" for GB.  At least we didn't have that in our game.

Not that I'm some kind of prognosticator, but I was definitely thinking on that TD before the half that the Packers should worry more about the hail mary than about trying to prevent a FG attempt.  Probably my time as a Bills fan always thinking of worst case scenario.

They played two safeties deep down the middle which makes no sense.  Tampa had not timeouts.  All they had to do was defend the boundary.  Anything caught in the middle of the field the clock would have expired.  

37 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Brady had some bad plays too I recall.....

The TD before the half was terrible but it didn’t decide the game by itself..

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am certain the Bills will be scrutinizing all 120 plays in the game themselves.

But I am grateful that McDermott isn't doing so in public.  I don't think it helps the team.

This is weak as hell especially when LaFluer might have made an equally egregious call by kicking a FG

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Still could have taken much better players that would have helped them this year. Dillion was not going to give them more than Jones this year (he had 16 TDs last year and 1k yards)

I'm not going to defend taking Love in the first round.  Look at how good their WR group was.  All the uproar about not taking a WR was much ado about nothing.  They have a top 4 WR maybe the best WR in football.  Adding other pieces to the offense was fine.  

They made it to the NFC Championship. They lost their LT to a freak injury.  Tampa has a very good defense.  Move on to next year