Reality check - comparing star QBs in their first conf championship game (aka Chill out)

I am not going to editorialize too much other than to mention that out of all of these great quarterbacks (Kelly and Esiason - were from a Bills perspective .. the rest are active QBs) Josh Allen had the most yards for his team in his first conference championship game and much better stats than most. He was also considered raw and is one of only a few on this list that got there in the first three years of his career. If you want to have a meltdown .. there are really no good arguments for it .. but it is a free country

All of the numbers came from profootballreference.com

1988 Kelly 14-30-46.7%-163-1TD-3INT; 0 fumbles; 3 sacks L; (2 rushes / 10 yards) 6th season

1988 Esiason 11-20-94-55% 1TD-2INT; 1 fumble; 3 sacks W; 7 rushes 26 yards) 5th season

2001 Brady 12 of 18 [67%] for 115 yards O TD; 0 INT; 0 fumbles; 2 sacks W (Bledsoe replaced injured Brady with NE up 7-3 on a punt return for TD); 4 rushes 1 yard; 2nd season

2006 Brees 27-49-55.1%-354-2TD-1INT; 2 fumbles / 1 lost; 3 sacks L 39-14; (1 rush / 8 yards) 6th season

2010 Rodgers 17-30-56.7%-244-0TD-2INT; 0 fumbles; 1 sacks W; (7 rushes for 39 yards) 6th season

2013 Wilson 16 of 25 [64%] for 215 1TD; 0INT; 2 fumbles/1 lost 4 sacks W (5 rushes / 0 yards) 2nd season

2018 Mahomes 16 of 31 [51.6%] for 295; 3TD; 0 INT;1 fumble / 0 lost; 4 sacks L (2 rushes for 11 yards) 2nd season

2020 Allen 28 of 48 [58.3%] for 287 2TD; 1INT; 0 fumbles 4 sacks L (7 rushes for 88 yards) 3rd season

Other top quarterbacks who have not yet advanced to the championship game: Lamar; Baker; Desean

• Like (+1) 10
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I am not going to editorialize too much other than to mention that out of all of these great quarterbacks (Kelly and Esiason - were from a Bills perspective .. the rest are active QBs) Josh Allen had the most yards for his team in his first conference championship game and much better stats than most. He was also considered raw and is one of only a few on this list that got there in the first three years of his career. If you want to have a meltdown .. there are really no good arguments for it .. but it is a free country

1988 Kelly 14-30-46.7%-163-1TD-3INT; 0 fumbles; 3 sacks L; (2 rushes / 10 yards) 6th season

1988 Esiason 11-20-94-55% 1TD-2INT; 1 fumble; 3 sacks W; 7 rushes 26 yards) 5th season

2001 Brady 12 of 18 [67%] for 115 yards O TD; 0 INT; 0 fumbles; 2 sacks W (Bledsoe replaced injured Brady with NE up 7-3 on a punt return for TD); 4 rushes 1 yard; 2nd season

2006 Brees 27-49-55.1%-354-2TD-1INT; 2 fumbles / 1 lost; 3 sacks L 39-14; (1 rush / 8 yards) 6th season

2010 Rodgers 17-30-56.7%-244-0TD-2INT; 0 fumbles; 1 sacks W; (7 rushes for 39 yards) 6th season

2013 Wilson 16 of 25 [64%] for 215 1TD; 0INT; 2 fumbles/1 lost 4 sacks W (5 rushes / 0 yards) 2nd season

2018 Mahomes 16 of 31 [51.6%] for 295; 3TD; 0 INT;1 fumble / 0 lost; 4 sacks L (2 rushes for 11 yards) 2nd season

2020 Allen 28 of 48 [58.3%] for 287 2TD; 1INT; 0 fumbles 4 sacks L (7 rushes for 88 yards) 3rd season

Other top quarterbacks who have not yet advanced to the championship game: Lamar; Baker; Desean

For starters Brady and Mahomes sat on the bench the first year and first year they played  they went to this big game.  Rodgers sat on the bench 3 years before playing.  thus some of this is misleading..

To be honest I don't care about back them or even them.. I just care about the here and now. 

• Eyeroll 1

30 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

For starters Brady and Mahomes sat on the bench the first year and first year they played  they went to this big game.  Rodgers sat on the bench 3 years before playing.  thus some of this is misleading..

To be honest I don't care about back them or even them.. I just care about the here and now. 

For starters I wasn’t saying all things were equal.. you on the other hand cherry picked two who got there sooner and ignored the fact that most on the list took longer to get there. Also given Josh was so raw coming out of college (acknowledged by all) his first season minimally was a mulligan. Then throw in the fact that to the best of my knowledge Josh was the only one playing on the road at the defending Super Bowl champ and I think it is clear that we should not be too upset. The progress is evident .. enjoy what was a great season

• Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I'm a simple man.

I see a reference to Jim Kelly and Boomer Esiason and I stop reading.

Then why respond at all .. congrats you are simple but like most simple people it does not stop you from expressing an opinion without reading 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CorkScrewHill said:

Then why respond at all .. congrats you are simple but like most simple people it does not stop you from expressing an opinion without reading 

So you understand that referencing QB play from 40 years ago is about as meaningless as you can get.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

So you understand that referencing QB play from 40 years ago is about as meaningless as you can get.

I do and I said just because it was Bills related .. but Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, Wilson, Brady are relevant .. that is why you read the whole post before responding

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If I know one thing, I know Allen's failure to figure out how to beat KCs coverage will eat him alive all off season. If I had to guess he will go back and watch the game film probably 50 times to try and see what he could have done better between now and training camp.

Allen has come so far so fast that we forget he is still learning and probably will be for another couple of years. I have no doubt he will come back better than ever next year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

If I know one thing, I know Allen's failure to figure out how to beat KCs coverage will eat him alive all off season. If I had to guess he will go back and watch the game film probably 50 times to try and see what he could have done better between now and training camp.

Allen has come so far so fast that we forget he is still learning and probably will be for another couple of years. I have no doubt he will come back better than ever next year.

Allen is a terrific student. He worked on his accuracy issues.. check.. now hes going to work on reading defenses.. if he learns that at the rate he learned accuracy, watch out lol

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Love this.  It's important to understand the past to enable a proper perspective on the present.

And let's not forget that Mahomes was shut out in the first half against NE and after 3 quarters had only led the Chiefs to 7 points in his first championship game.  Sure he had an awesome 4th quarter but clearly Mahomes was impacted by the moment when he played in his first championship game.

And your point about Allen not having a normal modern QB experience growing up is spot on.  He didn't attend the elite camps that a lot of these guys do during high school that sharpens their skills and his college career didn't exactly groom him for the NFL.  Allen took more of an old school path where QB's benefited from sitting and learning their first couple of years in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Nope was waiting for you to do that detailed analysis.. but then you would have to do that for all games

Im hoping Josh is thinking that he just got his ass handed to him and he needs to get better.... not that his numbers were pretty good and compared to other players in their first championship game he didn’t do too badly...

Do we need to find a silver lining in every thing? 

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im hoping Josh is thinking that he just got his ass handed to him and he needs to get better.... not that his numbers were pretty good and compared to other players in their first game he didn’t do too badly...

Do we need to find a silver lining in every thing? 

no we don't

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Love this.  It's important to understand the past to enable a proper perspective on the present.

And let's not forget that Mahomes was shut out in the first half against NE and after 3 quarters had only led the Chiefs to 7 points in his first championship game.  Sure he had an awesome 4th quarter but clearly Mahomes was impacted by the moment when he played in his first championship game.

And your point about Allen not having a normal modern QB experience growing up is spot on.  He didn't attend the elite camps that a lot of these guys do during high school that sharpens their skills and his college career didn't exactly groom him for the NFL.  Allen took more of an old school path where QB's benefited from sitting and learning their first couple of years in the NFL.

yet you said it right there in your statement. Mahomes fought back and won

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Allen is a terrific student. He worked on his accuracy issues.. check.. now hes going to work on reading defenses.. if he learns that at the rate he learned accuracy, watch out lol

He has been really good at reading defenses especially in the 2nd half of the year. I think KC defended them differently than anyone else has really and Allen needed to play a little differently. He will figure it out. Next year there will be no jitters.

• Like (+1) 2