No red zone designed runs

whorlnut

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Can someone explain to me why Daboll completely abandoned running Allen in red zone situations?  Why did he get cute when we got to that spot and not take an almost automatic score?  It really makes no sense. 

im half convinced he beat up his off shoulder last week so they avoided called runs like we saw in the wild card. Still a lot of improv or plays where he was allowed to, but no designed power runs.

It was a drastic difference after that big hit where he stayed down last week. Could be a coincidence though. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Can someone explain to me why Daboll completely abandoned running Allen in red zone situations?  Why did he get cute when we got to that spot and not take an almost automatic score?  It really makes no sense. 

Good question.  Despite the “we can’t run” narrative, the few times we tried to run, it was actually effective.  “We won’t run” is more like it. Certainly had a better chance of success than drop back passes from the 5 yard line against a jail-break pass rush.

• Like (+1) 2

Dabol got exposed by Spagnola as being the beneficiary of a transcendent talent at QB to pull great plays out of his rear end. He was unimaginative and borderline unprepared for blitz packages and tight press coverage on receivers that were injured but playing. I'm sure teams that passed on him feel prophetic. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

Maybe we should start an "Airing of Grievances" thread for all these random, little, negative thoughts that people have about the game.

As much as I understand what I believe to be sarcasm...? That’s not necessarily a bad idea, as it will be a place to express the frustration (more so than negative thoughts ) of our dedicated fans, just a thought... who doesn’t like a good b t h session from time to time 😁👍

Go Bills!!! And thank you to our team that made this season so much better that we thought it could be!!!

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Maybe we should start an "Airing of Grievances" thread for all these random, little, negative thoughts that people have about the game.

I think the shout box works great and gets allot of attention. I browse it every time I check in. ( not saying this wasn't thread worthy)

Edited by Figster

Yup.  Sometimes it's good to not be creative and just put a hat on a hat and win.  

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Dabol got exposed by Spagnola as being the beneficiary of a transcendent talent at QB to pull great plays out of his rear end. He was unimaginative and borderline unprepared for blitz packages and tight press coverage on receivers that were injured but playing. I'm sure teams that passed on him feel prophetic. 

I know this isn't the popular take but I agree.  I was fine if he was leaving for a HC job.  He gets a play or 2 that is super crafty and timely but most if the cool plays are a result of allen being a freak. 

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Like most facets of the game, redzone offense was disappointing 

Red zone offense likely cost us the game. For as well as KCs defense played, we kicked 2 FGs from inside the 10 and he threw an INT that bounced off Brown's hands from just outside the redzone. 

It's not like they held us to nothing. We just needed TDs in those situations. Still probably lose but it would have been a different story in terms of being a blow out.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Yup.  Sometimes it's good to not be creative and just put a hat on a hat and win.  

I know this isn't the popular take but I agree.  I was fine if he was leaving for a HC job.  He gets a play or 2 that is super crafty and timely but most if the cool plays are a result of allen being a freak. 

I hate to give the impression Brian doesn't deserve a shot but good coaches don't get stopped in the red zone 4 times against one of the worst red zone defenses statistically. 

13 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the last place red zone defense owned our 1st place red zone offense.  Daboll should apologize to everyone on the team for his playcalling (so shoul Fraizer and McD).  

Sadly, you're right but I'm sure they are dying slow deaths knowing how they underperformed. 

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I was calling for this in the game thread b/c Josh is usually deadly around the 5 yard line or in closer.

Josh probably should have run the ball a lot more in the game in general given what KC was doing on defense.

Not the best called game from our staff.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Red zone offense likely cost us the game. For as well as KCs defense played, we kicked 2 FGs from inside the 10 and he threw an INT that bounced off Brown's hands from just outside the redzone. 

It's not like they held us to nothing. We just needed TDs in those situations. Still probably lose but it would have been a different story in terms of being a blow out.

It would have made the game closer for sure.  The thing is Josh and the offense was struggling throughout.  The fact that we might bypass a FG doesn’t guarantee that the Bills score a TD.  I hated the fact that the Bills didn’t try - especially at the end of the half, but the offense wasn’t clicking.

I don’t think it would matter because the Bills defense just could do nothing against Mahomes and the offense