[Incomplete Title] What really cost us this season was.....

BillsBlue

losing Shaq, Lorenzo, Phillips and to a lesser extent Star......

I can't complain too much about this season folks it was an awesome season all in all and it was fun to watch it unfold. I see a lot of finger pointing going around at different 

position groups on the team as well as blame for the coaches and I get that completely and agree with some of it. I feel like we didn't play our game and played completely Vanilla 

because we feared the chiefs(that's on the coaches for sure).  All in all imo losing the above mentioned players made our defense lack the punch it had last year that caused 

issues for opposing offenses and it's as simple as that. Why did Tre and our safetys and Lb's look average or worse????? Because they didn't have havoc being created in front of them end of story. Our offense is a real 3 down running back away from being a total juggernaut, our defense needs a lot to hold up their end of the bargain. We were a rb and a defense away from going to the big dance this year......Not too shabby ;)  

Go Bills chin up guys and gals beanes got this 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Our D just seemed physically weak, especially the DL, but Edmunds and Tre too.  In that sense we did miss those guys up front.  Finesse football can get you a long way but the watching the game last night (and the KC/Tenn games earlier this year) you just got a sense by the 2nd quarter that the Bills were getting manhandled and didn't have an answer.  It's what i was worried about against Baltimore, but the D played a fantastic game, but even with that had to scheme around being the less physical team.  I'm not sure what the cure is here as we're not going to replace enough guys on D to change their nature but maybe move some guys around?  Who knows

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lorax retired so not much they could have done there.

I went back and forth on this all year but at the end of the day I’m glad they did not commit to Shaq and Phillips.  I don’t think the defense would have been any better or worse with them staying.  Now Beane has more flexibility on the D-line. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

image.png.b5b64e6f97593378a06d34bb7086ac83.png

Honestly it really is this.  I know that KC has a bunch of close games but I really don't know who could have beaten them yesterday.  Bills could have done an awful lot of things differently and although the final score would have been closer I just don't think they would have won.  How on earth did the Raiders manage to beat them?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

OP, honestly, I don't know.  I don't think so, but again, I don't know.  The Bills D exhausted its opponents during that run past midseason.  No, they weren't the 2000 Ravens (or one's comparison of choice), but they did well enough.

The O crapped the bed last night at times, and coaching led to conservative play, I'm assuming because of the various miscues.  Once the KC train got rolling, the game was over.  I'm not rewatching this one, but coming out of halftime, I knew it.

Edited by Groin
  • Like (+1) 1

We have too many “above average” guys and not enough “elite” guys. 

I posted in another thread, but outside QB, who are the 6 biggest impact players in this game?

Kelce

Diggs

Hill

Jones 

Mathieu

Clark

Less “strong rotation” and more “impact”.  

KC has Jones & Clark on that DL.  Who else?  Doesn’t matter... the have Jones & Clark.   Anyone think KC gives a damn about our deep rotation of guys along the line?  Go ahead... ask Mahomes... he’s still standing back there deciding which open WR to throw to. 

• Agree 1

I lived through the 4 Falls.   I don't really want to go back to the SB unless we have a defense that can make stops consistently.  It doesn't have to be smothering - but it needs to be better than what we have now.

Maybe I'm rationalizing, but part of me is relieved we didn't quite make it yet.  That D needs to get better.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsBlue said:

losing Shaq, Lorenzo, Phillips and to a lesser extent Star......

I can't complain too much about this season folks it was an awesome season all in all and it was fun to watch it unfold. I see a lot of finger pointing going around at different 

position groups on the team as well as blame for the coaches and I get that completely and agree with some of it. I feel like we didn't play our game and played completely Vanilla 

because we feared the chiefs(that's on the coaches for sure).  All in all imo losing the above mentioned players made our defense lack the punch it had last year that caused 

issues for opposing offenses and it's as simple as that. Why did Tre and our safetys and Lb's look average or worse????? Because they didn't have havoc being created in front of them end of story. Our offense is a real 3 down running back away from being a total juggernaut, our defense needs a lot to hold up their end of the bargain. We were a rb and a defense away from going to the big dance this year......Not too shabby ;)  

Go Bills chin up guys and gals beanes got this 

Lorenzo retired so not much the team could do there.  Always worry when guys in contract years like Shaq and Phillips have great seasons so really didn't have a problem with them letting them go.  Personally I think  losing Star was the biggest hurdle and they never completly overcame.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We have too many “above average” guys and not enough “elite” guys. 

I posted in another thread, but outside QB, who are the 6 biggest impact players in this game?

Kelce

Diggs

Hill

Jones 

Mathieu

Clark

Less “strong rotation” and more “impact”.  

KC has Jones & Clark on that DL.  Who else?  Doesn’t matter... the have Jones & Clark.   Anyone think KC gives a damn about our deep rotation of guys along the line?  Go ahead... ask Mahomes... he’s still standing back there deciding which open WR to throw to. 

Buffalo spent 51M on DL this year, tops in the league by far and because that's what the HC wants.

It's resource allocation like this which gives me the impression McDermott and Beane like building depth and giving players PT who buy in to the HC's process.

That strategy doesn't work when you play the league's best as evidenced by last night.  Who knows if McD will acquiesce, but Buffalo's success this year will not go unnoticed by other teams.  Now is the time to adjust personnel and scheme to meet the challenge of competing with KC long term.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Buffalo spent 51M on DL this year, tops in the league by far and because that's what the HC wants.

It's resource allocation like this which gives me the impression McDermott and Beane like building depth and giving players PT who buy in to the HC's process.

That strategy doesn't work when you play the league's best as evidenced by last night.  Who knows if McD will acquiesce, but Buffalo's success this year will not go unnoticed by other teams.  Now is the time to adjust personnel and scheme to meet the challenge of competing with KC long term.  

It's not tops in the league by far.  The Colts spent $48 million and the Chiefs spent $44 million.

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It's not like KC was built overnight.  It took 7 or so years, and in the face of Andy Reid being criticized as a guy who couldn't win the big one.  But look what they built.  Amazing, right?

I've seen zero evidence that this team isn't willing to make hard choices, and is always try to get better.  2021 can't get here soon enough.

Edited by Groin

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's not tops in the league by far.  The Colts spent $48 million and the Chiefs spent $44 million.

Link?

EDIT: OK, I see you're using spotrac:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/breakdown/2020/

Chiefs have Frank Clark and Chris Jones.  Indianapolis has DeForest Buckner.  Buffalo has who on that DL who can impact a game?

6 minutes ago, Groin said:

It's not like KC was built overnight.  It took 7 or so years, and in the face of Andy Reid being criticized as a guy who couldn't win the big one.  But look what they built.  Amazing, right?

I've seen zero evidence that this team isn't willing to make hard choices, and is always try to get better.  2021 can't get here soon enough.

No it didn't take 7 years.  Reid went to the AFC Championship game in Mahomes' first year as a starter.  They were limited under Alex Smith and made the change in 2018.  

Yes, they'd assembled talent before that, but the NFL is about winning now.  KC has refined and tweaked that roster (trading Dee Ford for Frank Clark) on both sides of the ball.  This narrative that it takes years to reach the pinnacle of success is unfounded. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Awesome! (+1) 2