Offseason Primer Position Group: DL

MAJBobby

Ngakoue is vastly over rated and considerably under sized. While I agree Jefferson and Butler need to go the only pass rushers I like are Judon, Dupree or Floyd. I'd also look to do something about Addison's and Klein's contracts. As both are over paid but showed at times could contribute.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Edit:
 Here you go @MAJBobby

Yeah you hit this out of the park. Only thing I would do different is keep Jerry. There is no need to create that hole yet and I think he can get it done with a little help from some new friends on the line. See below:

image.thumb.png.1ba82cf96102f27d9bcdeb91c18b9d45.png

I know this isn't the LB thread, but the 5th year on Edmunds is about $13.5 and Milano is going to be about $13.5, not paying these 2 guys that much money. I would possibly look for an Edge at the LB position who can play the role like LorAx did. We need our Diggs of the defense to force teams to game plan against him. We can't just sit back in zone and get carved up. McD loves and wants pressure with the front 4 as much as possible, he says it every year and this group way under performed in that regards. Oliver will look much better with Star and other 1Ts on the roster.

I agree with all that was said. I by no means want to move on from Hughes just showed the option of moving on and getting a younger pure pass rusher in Yannick. Perfect world would be add a year to Hughes lower his cap hit. Cut the deadweight and use it to sign Yannick on the other side. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I agree with all that was said. I by no means want to move on from Hughes just showed the option of moving on and getting a younger pure pass rusher in Yannick. Perfect world would be add a year to Hughes lower his cap hit. Cut the deadweight and use it to sign Yannick on the other side. 

I totally agree. I would have sent the 2nd to Jax for Yannick last year; I was hoping for that move, plus I wanted Trent gone and to reallocate that money plus LorAx's money for Hooper.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:59 PM, MAJBobby said:

I would Cut Jefferson, Butler, Addison, Hughes. Saving 26.7M in cap space as well as letting Murphy walk.

McDermott has over and over banged the drum of it being a mistake to let "too many of the leaders walk out of the building" in Carolina.

Hughes was a team captain this year.  I think McDermott regards him as one of those leaders you don't let walk.

Addison could be seen in locker room videos backing up McDermott in a sometimes-goofy but effective way (example: jumping into a clear space with his arm bent, hand to his ear when McDermott was trying to get the team's attention.  We take on almost 2/3 of his 6.6M salary saved in dead cap, so I'm inclined to think he stays, but you're correct that his production did not live up to what we expected when he was signed, and the video stuff is just a snapshot so who knows.

I think Jefferson is a salary cap casualty.  0 dead money, $8M saved.

From stuff Leslie Frazier said, I think they weren't expecting Butler to be a sackmeister, they wanted him to play 1TDT.  He rotated between 1T and 3T from what I saw, but I think Oliver at 3T and Butler at 1T wound up being one of their best rotations.  I could be wrong.  He came from Carolina and it seemed as though the DL position coach really liked him, and he's got a good bit of cap savings - so we'll see.  The DL coach could be on the hot-seat, especially if we change DCs!

One thing is clear, we need change on both sides of the line - and you can't make changes by keeping things the same.

I really think they go after Trey Hendrickson. He just just checks a lot of boxes for the type of athlete they look for at the DE position. He really flourished in a rotational role, and I think he could do the same work here. 

In terms of the interior, they need a do over. Almost cut everybody except Oliver and start over. I don’t know what the answer is here, but it’s not what they got now. 

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott has over and over banged the drum of it being a mistake to let "too many of the leaders walk out of the building" in Carolina.

Hughes was a team captain this year.  I think McDermott regards him as one of those leaders you don't let walk.

Addison could be seen in locker room videos backing up McDermott in a sometimes-goofy but effective way (example: jumping into a clear space with his arm bent, hand to his ear when McDermott was trying to get the team's attention.  We take on almost 2/3 of his 6.6M salary saved in dead cap, so I'm inclined to think he stays, but you're correct that his production did not live up to what we expected when he was signed, and the video stuff is just a snapshot so who knows.

I think Jefferson is a salary cap casualty.  0 dead money, $8M saved.

From stuff Leslie Frazier said, I think they weren't expecting Butler to be a sackmeister, they wanted him to play 1TDT.  He rotated between 1T and 3T from what I saw, but I think Oliver at 3T and Butler at 1T wound up being one of their best rotations.  I could be wrong.  He came from Carolina and it seemed as though the DL position coach really liked him, and he's got a good bit of cap savings - so we'll see.  The DL coach could be on the hot-seat, especially if we change DCs!

One thing is clear, we need change on both sides of the line - and you can't make changes by keeping things the same.

Mcd has said that about leaders.  But leaders are also created and gain respect via production and on-field intensity/performance.

I can be convinced about keeping Jerry, but Butler Addison and Jefferson were all dud signings.  Cutting them and replacing via FA and/or draft has to be considered.

We saw what adding a blue-chip talent on offense (Diggs) did to raise the game of others, ie: Josh, Beas, others.  Yeah Josh had the talent and work ethic but sometimes that 1 piece can be the catalyst for others with top-end potential.

We need to find that DL type talent this off season, that 1 guy and see what happens to Oliver, Edmunds, AJ when that piece is added

31 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I really think they go after Trey Hendrickson. He just just checks a lot of boxes for the type of athlete they look for at the DE position. He really flourished in a rotational role, and I think he could do the same work here. 

In terms of the interior, they need a do over. Almost cut everybody except Oliver and start over. I don’t know what the answer is here, but it’s not what they got now. 

Trey 6.5 sacks in his first three years is a classic over pay. 

10 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Trey 6.5 sacks in his first three years is a classic over pay. 

Normally I would agree, but he’s a small school guy, who came in extremely raw, so took some development time and was stuck behind Jordan and Davenport who they spent all those picks on. His rookie year he had two sacks in very limited snaps. Was mostly hurt year two and in year three saw snap numbers jump considerably and produced 4.5 sacks. That was considered his break out year and this year is when he really put it together. 14 sacks in 53% of the defensive snaps is not an anomaly imo. 

I’m guessing he winds up in a place like Jacksonville with a ton of cap space, but he’s a perfect fit here. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m all for upgrading the d line if we can. If our problem is beating the Chiefs though, I don’t think investing a lot more in the d line will matter much. Maybe a reallocation of salary resources would help though. They beat us with very quick passes and lots of YAC. The best d line in the league won’t stop that. 

This is a fantastic writeup.  Thanks @MAJBobby.   I would love to add Tomlinson.  If the Giants keep him, that likely shakes L. Williams free., in which case I'd go after him.  This would be my big offseason DL move, more important than edge, IMO.  It is one more that does 2 things: first, it provides outstanding 1T play and stuffs the run.  2nd, it frees up Oliver to use his penetration ability/pass rush.  

On 1/25/2021 at 1:48 PM, SCBills said:

There will be some decent players available that normally wouldn't with the cap situation.  

I'd have zero issue taking a flame thrower to this DL and revamping the line around Oliver, Star, Harry, AJ & Johnson.  

Jefferson and Butler didn't work out and Hughes/Addison are too heavy a cap hit for what will likely be stagnant or declining production. 

We will have to invest in an eventual replacement for Star.  If Tomlinson hits the market you have to pull the trigger. I too agree Hughes, Addison, Butler & Jefferson are gone. Not sure what we have yet in AJE?