Which RBS do we go after this offseason?

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want a 1 cut and get up field guy. No dancing, no games behind the LOS. Hit the hole and get down hill. You don’t have to be crazy fast but get forward before you make moves. I’d rather see a guy falling forward for 3 then dancing around and taking 0 every third carry.

This sounds like me ten years ago arguing why we needed to keep fred Jackson over marshawn lynch! 

It is not Beane’s MO to pay for a FA RB.  Maybe one in the draft, but we have more pressing needs.  We have 7 draft picks and again if we draft one at all it will be late in the draft.

This is a bit of a knee jerk reaction to yesterday and I understand.  It’s just not fantasy football and will have to prioritize the things we need much more.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Very little chance Etienne or Harris are there when draft imo.  Never know. While I’m always against drafting a rb in the first rd, but I would consider them to be the Bpa at 30, so I’d be good with it in this spot.

As much as I like both of those RBs, I’ll go on record with my campaigning for Kenneth Gainwell. While I haven’t scouted much of anyone just yet, I think Gainwell could be the perfect piece to this offense.  He’s a great receiver and has the burst and game breaking explosion that this offense needs. Opposing DCs wouldn’t be able to play us like they do right now if we had him. He’d change our offense completely imo. I don’t think he’ll be available with our 2nd rd pick, so I would love it if we could trade down from 30 and draft him somewhere in the 2nd.

I haven’t scouting any other rbs yet, but off the top of my head, Michael Carter from UNC has some nice burst for a 196 lb back.  I love Javonte Williams. He doesn’t have the top end speed that I’d prefer but he reminds me of Fred Taylor. 

One look at the free agent RB list and you’ll be sure to gag.  Aaron Jones reportedly turned down a 14 mill a year contract from the packers. He’d be a perfect fit, but no way we pay him.  Noooo chance. Chiefs Carson is a good back, but is he too similar to Moss.  We need speed.  Drake, fournette are estimated 8 mill a year.....hard pass.  Gurley?  Ugh. Lindsey might be a nice fit.....but ehh.  

I view improving our run game as a big focus of our offseason.  Adding a playmaking RB that can make a D pay would help that cause.  That being said, I don’t see any free agent RBs i’d be interested in based on the salary they would command.....so I’ll be looking forward to diving into these RB prospects. 

Kenneth Gainwell is currently my choice. He’s a bottle rocket

I agree with your viewpoints.   I am also getting tired of the "all we need is somebody else's rejects to be a modest replacement on Singletary/Moss" sthick.  Moss was the 10th running back drafted in 2020.  Not good enough. We could have had Dobbins, who was drafted after Epenessa.  Remember in the Ravens game, Dobbins was going around the edge for some big gains.  We don't have that.  We can draft that. IT means giving up some other eye candy.

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

There’s going to be a lot of free agency options. Stop browsing the top 5 names though. Those contracts are not what we want. 
We want the guys left after the draft. Or the guys cut after the draft. You can get really good backs and you don’t have to throw a first round pick or monster contract to get them. 
There has to be a serious effort to establish a run game or it’s all a waste of time though. It’s not like our line can’t run block, they just don’t emphasis it and work it into a rhythm. 
I’m keeping an eye on Jeff Wilson from San Fran to see if he ends up back there. 

Give us a list of UFA running backs who are tearing up the league.

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I thought the same until I saw Chris Jones destroy Feliciano....over and over and over and over again.  He even cold cocked his *** and dropped him.  Feliciano is a bad dude, but he’s half the man Jones is.  I don’t think I wanna see that matchup again, let alone every year in the playoffs.

It is called a cheap sucker shot.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Go after the one that offers the best value for money.

I would hate to see them burn assets on a RB.

Gee,  the guy who can make a difference between a play going 3 yards and 70 yards.....AT least 10-20 times a game .. is a wasted asset?  Dude, sit down and do some thinking.

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want a 1 cut and get up field guy. No dancing, no games behind the LOS. Hit the hole and get down hill. You don’t have to be crazy fast but get forward before you make moves. I’d rather see a guy falling forward for 3 then dancing around and taking 0 every third carry.

Well, I want somebody who can give us additional types of plays. 

• Being able to get around the corner. 
  • Being able to  take a handoff from the QB under center and burst through the LOS and past the LB. 
  • Being able to take the dump pass for a long carry. 
  • Being able to split out as a WR and blow past a LB who tries to cover him.

• All these things get a lot of yards on their own.
  • All these things mean we don't have wide receivers playing with broken legs from getting hit too much in a long season
  • All these things mean that the defenses can not sit on the passing plays because WE CAN'T HURT THEM with the running game.
  • Agree 2

The Colts got Taylor in RD 2.

That is the kind of back we need and should be hunting for in the draft.  

D'Andre Swift Dobbins or Cam Akers like guys.  There has to be an elite RB around 30, there always is scouts should be doing all they can to find one. 

Look at those picks from 35 to 45 last year.  Should be able to find gems at RB or DB after all the QBs and big people go in picks 1 - 20.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Give us a list of UFA running backs who are tearing up the league.

Im not sure we’ll ever see eye to eye on this as I think moss is still going to be heavily involved in this offense next year. Therefore imo they just need a back to handle 5-10 touches a game or occasionally more. I don’t see why I need to provide you a list but sure buddy. 

James White 

Brieda 

Mike Davis 

Jerick McKinnon 

tevin Coleman 

Devontae booker 

marlon Mack 

Wayne Gallman 

All those guys are decent backs capable of making some decent plays. 
And some may get re signed, but like most years you’ll have a few guys hanging around after the draft and their price tag will drop considerably. 
I can understand peoples desires to have this elite type back but we just spent back to back years drafting our guys and there’s a lot of work to do on this roster. Those picks might be better spent on other positions 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

No thanks on Singletary being the 3rd down back next year - he has terrible hands. 

Well if he can’t handle that role.... a 3rd down back who can know the blocking scheme or catch, if he can’t do that. Maybe he should get cut. He’s not a early down, get downhill and gain tough yards. Or maybe he goes to the PS

8 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

No thanks on Singletary being the 3rd down back next year - he has terrible hands. 

Well if he can’t handle that role.... a 3rd down back who can know the blocking scheme or catch, if he can’t do that. Maybe he should get cut. He’s not a early down, get downhill and gain tough yards. Or maybe he goes to the PS

8 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yes, that’s all I want too. I don’t want to be a running team. We are a pass first team, and I’m not sure how much that will change, or if it should. I’m not convinced we need to run the ball a ton more, we just need someone who can do better than two yards when called on. 

48 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Im not sure we’ll ever see eye to eye on this as I think moss is still going to be heavily involved in this offense next year. Therefore imo they just need a back to handle 5-10 touches a game or occasionally more. I don’t see why I need to provide you a list but sure buddy. 

James White 

Brieda 

Mike Davis 

Jerick McKinnon 

tevin Coleman 

Devontae booker 

marlon Mack 

Wayne Gallman 

All those guys are decent backs capable of making some decent plays. 
And some may get re signed, but like most years you’ll have a few guys hanging around after the draft and their price tag will drop considerably. 
I can understand peoples desires to have this elite type back but we just spent back to back years drafting our guys and there’s a lot of work to do on this roster. Those picks might be better spent on other positions 

Normally, I’d agree 💯 

I don’t agree right now, for this team.

If there’s a pass rusher that we could see becoming elite.....we should take that player over a rb. No doubt.  I don’t think that player exists in this draft.  Another weak pass rushing draft from my initial scans, but that may change.

I doubt we spend a 1st on a corner.  There are some solid LB options that can run and cover in this draft....but there’s also solid options in rd 2-3-4 as well. 

OL makes some sense

a Running back that can take it to the house and put fear in the defense would have the biggest impact on our offense imo.  Give me Gainwell

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Normally, I’d agree 💯 

I don’t agree right now, for this team.

If there’s a pass rusher that we could see becoming elite.....we should take that player over a rb. No doubt.  I don’t think that player exists in this draft.  Another weak pass rushing draft from my initial scans, but that may change.

I doubt we spend a 1st on a corner.  There are some solid LB options that can run and cover in this draft....but there’s also solid options in rd 2-3-4 as well. 

OL makes some sense

a Running back that can take it to the house and put fear in the defense would have the biggest impact on our offense imo.  Give me Gainwell

I try to avoid draft stuff, I don’t do a ton of homework on guys but given our status I also prefer established vs the unknown. 
If I could trade that first for a proven pass rusher vs draft one of the top 4-5 running backs I’m taking the trade option. I think the run game would be ok if they spent more time working on it. We are missing a homerun kind of player but there’s a few out there with great speed. 

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I try to avoid draft stuff, I don’t do a ton of homework on guys but given our status I also prefer established vs the unknown. 
If I could trade that first for a proven pass rusher vs draft one of the top 4-5 running backs I’m taking the trade option. I think the run game would be ok if they spent more time working on it. We are missing a homerun kind of player but there’s a few out there with great speed. 

i 💯 agree about the pass rusher. Trading a 1st for an established RB is the worst use of a first rd pick ever. Not only are you using the 1st on a rb....but a rb that you’ll have to pay 12 mill+ immediately.  Double dipping on stupidity imo.  Harris, etienne and Gainwell are all ballers and will get paid little to nothing to 5 years....and will have much less tread on their tires. 

but I’m definitely down to trade the pick for a top notch pass rusher 👍🏻

• Like (+1) 1

Now that we're at a place where we need to start being a lot more careful with our money, I just philosophically don't think it makes sense to spend our most valuable assets (rookie salaries) on the cheapest position in the league outside of special teamers. Just throw a couple million at a guy like Jamaal Williams, James White, Tevin Coleman, etc. and save those picks for positions where we have a much better chance of stealing value.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

i 💯 agree about the pass rusher. Trading a 1st for an established RB is the worst use of a first rd pick ever. Not only are you using the 1st on a rb....but a rb that you’ll have to pay 12 mill+ immediately.  Double dipping on stupidity imo.  Harris, etienne and Gainwell are all ballers and will get paid little to nothing to 5 years....and will have much less tread on their tires. 

but I’m definitely down to trade the pick for a top notch pass rusher 👍🏻

Lol yeah I would not trade the first for any back really. I definitely meant only for a proven pass rush guy. Well see how it shakes out. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It is not Beane’s MO to pay for a FA RB.  Maybe one in the draft, but we have more pressing needs.  We have 7 draft picks and again if we draft one at all it will be late in the draft.

This is a bit of a knee jerk reaction to yesterday and I understand.  It’s just not fantasy football and will have to prioritize the things we need much more.

I’d usually agree, but this offense needs a threat in the backfield or teams will play us the same way.  You may call it a knee jerk reaction.  I call it obvious