Calling it now - Dane Jackson will be our #2 CB next year and be a great player

JerseyBills

The title says it all. 

Norman and Wallace are both FA next year. 

I feel the coaches felt Dane needed this year to adjust to the NFL but they are extremely high on him and see him as our #2 for the foreseeable future. 

Just watched his limited plays and you can see that he definitely can play at this level and be a huge part of this secondary going forward. I feel he'll be a playmaker in the secondary. 

I'd love to re-sign Wallace, as depth,  if the price is right but I def think Dane takes over as the clear #2 and forms one of the best duos in the game,  along with Tre.  

Thoughts? 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

The title says it all. 

Norman and Wallace are both FA next year. 

I feel the coaches felt Dane needed this year to adjust to the NFL but they are extremely high on him and see him as our #2 for the foreseeable future. 

Just watched his limited plays and you can see that he definitely can play at this level and be a huge part of this secondary going forward. I feel he'll be a playmaker in the secondary. 

I'd love to re-sign Wallace, as depth,  if the price is right but I def think Dane takes over as the clear #2 and forms one of the best duos in the game,  along with Tre.  

Thoughts? 

Would be nice, not sure I’m ready to anoint him a starter, but he showed some moxie. 

Levi Wallace is a RFA so he will likely be back and for pretty cheap. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Would be nice, not sure I’m ready to anoint him a starter, but he showed some moxie. 

Levi Wallace is a RFA so he will likely be back and for pretty cheap. 

buffalo also has EJ Gaines who sat out the season.  Norman didn’t do anything to earn him a payday.

im not saying danejackson can’t play. Buffalo likrly drafts a CB in the first 4 rounds

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, djp14150 said:

buffalo also has EJ Gaines who sat out the season.  Norman didn’t do anything to earn him a payday.

im not saying danejackson can’t play. Buffalo likrly drafts a CB in the first 4 rounds

Good point about Gaines but I don't think he's the answer. I think we do need to add a CB early in the draft as well.

2 minutes ago, nato7412 said:

Good point about Gaines but I don't think he's the answer. I think we do need to add a CB early in the draft as well.

Gaines and answer shouldn’t be in the same sentence. Dude won’t make it out of OTA’s without an injury. 

Re Dane, his problem is speed, as far as I can tell from his limited snaps. I noticed him a few times getting run by and he doesn’t have the closing speed of Levi. 

• Like (+1) 1

My prediction is that someone will pay Levi more money than we're willing to play CB2 elsewhere. Dane Jackson will come up from the Practice Squad. Josh Norman will be brought back simply because he'll be cheap and I doubt he'll have many options. E.J. Gaines will get vaccinated and fight for a roster spot. It'll be a 3 way battle between Jackson, Norman, and Gaines. One will start, one will be the first outside corner off the bench, and one will be cut.

Here are my thoughts. 

First...I loved what we saw of Jackson. Seems to have a nose for the ball, hits harder than his size says he should, is willing to play special teams, and has made plays every time he’s in the game.

Second...McD has typically had a stud corner on one side and a project on the other. This goes back to his Carolina days with Norman and Munnerlin.

Third...I think it would be foolish to expect the Bills to draft a corner high when it’s clear we need offense and pass rush to be able to keep up with teams like the chiefs.  Jackson can more than handle CB2 with Tre as CB1 going forward. There are way more pressing needs than to draft another corner. 

I like Dane. There's a spot for him on the team. But I don't think he has the athleticism to be a full time CB2. That's the same limitation that Levi has. Good football players between the ears. That's important, but I can't see them as starters at CB2. I'd love to be wrong.

2 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Sounds like Dane will play the last 10games of the year after EJ goes down lol forgot hes here again.... 3rd time right?

Actually Gaines is perfect depth. Dude cant play a whole season, but can be a stud a few games a year or situationally. Keep his snap count down that way 

Edited by BillsShredder83