Aaron Rodgers--Trade Value?

mannc

For a team with a great defense and good skill players that has everything except a QB, Rodgers, even at his age, is worth multiple draft picks, including a first.  The Saints and Colts come to mind.  Maybe the Broncos and Dolphins too.  Rodgers puts you over the top and makes you an instant SB contender.   Looking at Brady, Brees and Rivers, you can see that these guys can still play very well in their late 30s (and early 40s for some).

I'm not sure GB makes that trade.  Love has skill, but is nowhere near ready to take over as a starter.  The Packers are a contender and will be one next year too, with Rodgers.  Because of the situation they created, they need to keep Rodgers and pacify him by going out and getting him the weapons he needs/wants in the draft and/or free agency.  Otherwise, he's holding out for a trade and creating chaos in the organization.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Rodgers career has been wasted in Green Bay by poor coaching and a lack of talent. 

When GB went for that FG instead of the TD at the end of the game yesterday you knew it was over.  If you don't make it TB gets the ball at their 8, maybe closer to the goal line depending on the outcome of the play. Gutless coaching. 

the MVP with the ball in his hand with a play to tie the game, and they say "nah we'll kick the FG and play defense"

If I were in Rodgers shoes, I would be looking at two decisions that effect me

1. The decision to draft a Qb in the first round, when there were needs that should have been addressed with a higher priority.
  2. The decision to go for a field goal instead of going for the touchdown.

I would come to the conclusion that the Coach and Front office do not trust me. There is a loss of trust.  Once that is lost it is time to move on. 

I would either demand a trade, or retire.  

I doubt he ever wears a Green Bay Packers Jersey in a game ever again. 

17 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

For a team with a great defense and good skill players that has everything except a QB, Rodgers, even at his age, is worth multiple draft picks, including a first.  The Saints and Colts come to mind.  Maybe the Broncos and Dolphins too.  Rodgers puts you over the top and makes you an instant SB contender.   Looking at Brady, Brees and Rivers, you can see that these guys can still play very well in their late 30s (and early 40s for some).

I'm not sure GB makes that trade.  Love has skill, but is nowhere near ready to take over as a starter.  The Packers are a contender and will be one next year too, with Rodgers.  Because of the situation they created, they need to keep Rodgers and pacify him by going out and getting him the weapons he needs/wants in the draft and/or free agency.  Otherwise, he's holding out for a trade and creating chaos in the organization.

They have had Love in the building for a full season.  We don’t know what they think of him after having seen him close up for an extended period.  Maybe they think he’s ready, although I’m sure they don’t believe he’s going to match Rodgers’s production right away...

44 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I hate his demeaner/arrogance.  But drafting Love was a ridiculously awful move by a team ready to win a championship now. These great Qb's play into their 40's nowadays, no reason for that move.  He is gonna make them suck up to him for a while......but I would be shocked if he went anywhere especially on that team friendly deal.

Drafting  is not.

remember Rodgers was drafted around the same place in the draft and sat for 3 yrs.

I don't think Rodgers is going to another team that has no talent. I can see San Fran (he played his college ball at Cal and I'm unsure of where he grew up)... That would be a Super Bowl team the instant he signed there..

I understand his frustration, though.

2 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Drafting  is not.

remember Rodgers was drafted around the same place in the draft and sat for 3 yrs.

When Rodgers was drafted, they did not have the same rookie contract rules.  Nowadays, teams can't afford to draft a rookie QB in the first round and sit him for three years; they have to make a decision on him after his third year...

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

I don't think Rodgers is going to another team that has no talent. I can see San Fran (he played his college ball at Cal and I'm unsure of where he grew up)... That would be a Super Bowl team the instant he signed there..

I understand his frustration, though.

As someone else pointed out, Indy becomes an instant threat to KC if they get AR.  That is a very good team right now and AR would be a big improvement on 40-year old Philip Rivers.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

When Rodgers was drafted, they did not have the same rookie contract rules.  Nowadays, teams can't afford to draft a rookie QB in the first round and sit him for three years; they have to make a decision on him after his third year...

As someone else pointed out, Indy becomes an instant threat to KC if they get AR.  That is a very good team right now and AR would be a big improvement on 40-year old Philip Rivers.

For sure,

I don't think that's a bad spot either. I just think San Fran would make more sense for him. 

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

For sure,

I don't think that's a bad spot either. I just think San Fran would make more sense for him. 

It might, but there's no way they trade him to SF, IMO.  Green Bay considers the Niners a major rival, even though they aren't in the same division.  

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

He is going nowhere. What team would give up a first and 2nd round pick for a 37 year old QB. Granted Rodgers is a great QB still playing at a very high level but that is a lot to give for him given his age. Rodgers will finish is career in GB.

A team that feels they are a QB away from a SB, like say SF or Indy. 

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think you only get one arch rival. So that's gotta be the Bears, or maybe the Vikings. OK, two arch rivals. But definitely not three.

Those are division rivals.  There are quite a few teams that aren't in the same division that still consider themselves rivals.  Some examples from the past few years: 

Pittsburgh and NE, Buffalo and KC, Dallas and SF, Tennessee and Baltimore, maybe even GB and NO. NE and Indy (when they had Peyton Manning).

Edited by mannc

If I am the Colts, or 49ers then I would be going all in for Rodgers -- even at his age, he's worth at least two first round draft picks. I also think long and hard about it if I am the Saints or Steelers depending on the status of Brees or Roethlisberger respectively. I think he makes any of those teams instant Super Bowl contenders and rivals to the top teams in either conference.

I also think the Dolphins, Bears, Broncos and even Washington might look to get into the mix too and wouldn't be crazy to send two ones to the Packers, just not as sure they become instant Super Bowl favorites solely with his addition.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

He is going nowhere. What team would give up a first and 2nd round pick for a 37 year old QB. Granted Rodgers is a great QB still playing at a very high level but that is a lot to give for him given his age. Rodgers will finish is career in GB.

Off the top of my head.....colts, dolphins, niners, Raiders and Steelers

• Like (+1) 1