How does Josh work on his nerves...?

Adamb412

For everyone roasting the OP, this is a decent critique.  Josh was not as good against the Ravens and KC as he was all season.  So lets determine why.  One reason: the OL play seriously deteriorated.  KC was getting continual pressure with 4 DL, which allowed KC to drape coverage all over WR's.  No one was open.  We have a putrid screen game and lack a speedy back for it.  Daboll could have helped with some plays to McKenzie, but didn't until the game was out of hand.  So reason #1: OL.  Reason 2: Gosh got sacked for something like 50 yards.  He needs to throw it away MUCH sooner.  If there is no one open, and no where to escape, option 3: throw away.  Don't try to force an escape, particularly if it involves running backwards.  

With that said, there has rarely been a QB asked to carry an entire team this early in his career who has had this much success.  We have no running game, our 
WR #2 is on a broken leg, and something was wrong with Brown, and our defensive game plan v. KC was a joke.  

In conclusion: (1) fix run game; (2) fix OL; (3) Josh throw it away sooner; (4) fix defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

Allen shouldn't have to prove his clutch cred to any Bills fan who watches games at this point.  He has been amazing in 4th quarters throughout his career.  That pass he made with 30 seconds left against AZ is one only a few QB's in the league can make.

Hot take nation.  Only one team wins the Super Bowl.  Every other team - and their QB's - are overanalyzed and overreacted to.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Adamb412 said:

Mahomes first AFC champ game he didn't look at all like the moment was too big for him.  Granted they lost but HE left it all on the field and without a dumb coin toss they probably would of won.  

Huh????  He was a dumpster fire the first half as I recall.....

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Reason 2: Gosh got sacked for something like 50 yards.  He needs to throw it away MUCH sooner.  If there is no one open, and no where to escape, option 3: throw away.  Don't try to force an escape, particularly if it involves running backwards.  

We all get frustrated when Allen turns an 8 yard sack into a 20 yard sack, but nobody seems to be angry when Allen escapes from a tackler and runs for a first down or hits an open receiver deep.  And he's done that over and over and over again during his brief three year career.  I'm fine with just learning to live with the occasional negative play -- it comes with the territory along with all the sublime plays.

• Like (+1) 2

He didn’t choke but he was not in his groove . It felt he’s nervous. He had eyes of deer in headlights. The same eyes he had last year in Texans playoff game.  Josh couldn’t be good poker player. His pokerface telegraphed he’s not confident. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

For everyone roasting the OP, this is a decent critique.  Josh was not as good against the Ravens and KC as he was all season.  So lets determine why.  One reason: the OL play seriously deteriorated.  KC was getting continual pressure with 4 DL, which allowed KC to drape coverage all over WR's.  No one was open.  We have a putrid screen game and lack a speedy back for it.  Daboll could have helped with some plays to McKenzie, but didn't until the game was out of hand.  So reason #1: OL.  Reason 2: Gosh got sacked for something like 50 yards.  He needs to throw it away MUCH sooner.  If there is no one open, and no where to escape, option 3: throw away.  Don't try to force an escape, particularly if it involves running backwards.  

With that said, there has rarely been a QB asked to carry an entire team this early in his career who has had this much success.  We have no running game, our 
WR #2 is on a broken leg, and something was wrong with Brown, and our defensive game plan v. KC was a joke.  

In conclusion: (1) fix run game; (2) fix OL; (3) Josh throw it away sooner; (4) fix defense.  

OP calling him a choker is not a decent critique.  Your post however, is a fair critique.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

sure it does.  it shows you're not an objective observer.  you were, "depressed" earlier in the season because you didn't like how things were going.  now that we fan's have experienced a first loss in forever, it's time for some posters to point fingers and place blame.  i get it.  

josh wasn't great.  the defense wasn't great.  coaching, special teams, etc wasn't great.  the bills lost to a much better team.  was josh jittery at points?  sure, but it wasn't a disaster like some people are trying so hard to make it out to be.

we all knew what a project josh was when the bills drafted.  he took a huge leap this year, and i still don't think he's anywhere close to where he could be.  experience and game management will come.  hell, just a few months ago people right here were telling us how josh would never get better...they were wrong.  

people need to mellow the ***** out with the dramatics.

Ahh, yes -- the good old, "You said something I thought was stupid once, so now I can discredit everything you say in the future" approach...

Your comments are confusing because you actually acknowledge that he was jittery and will continue to improve, so we seem to actually agree. I don't think I made any "dramatic" comments. I certainly didn't say it was a disaster or that he can't improve. Maybe simply pointing out the problem is seen as dramatic by fans who don't want anything but lollipops and sprinkled vanilla cupcakes. Or maybe we're not allowed to bring up one thing that needs to improve without thoroughly listing *all* things that need to improve team-wide...?

Josh Allen is great, but to be the best of the best, he's going to need to improve mentally/emotionally. This is objectively obvious. I can't fathom why this is so hotly contested by Bills fans. The homerism is strong in this thread.

• Like (+1) 3

Josh had a great season no doubt about it, but when the big game comes he choked.  I feel like Josh's mentality is more of Alex Zverev and not that of Djokovic (Tennis Fans).  When the "No tomorrow" situation comes, he DOESNT leave it all on the field. We squeaked by the colts, without johnson INT vs the ravens, we would of scored ten points total.  Unacceptable. This is my big concern.  How does someone work on nerves? I was joking with my dad during the game last night he needs to take a shot of whiskey to calm the nerves, but obviously the dude does not have ice water in his veins which is something a QB needs.  So what are the solutions? Sports Phych? Yoga? 

On the list of reasons that we lost last night, QB play is like the number eight item down the list. 

Maybe the reason we lost is because Kansas City is a better team? You're grossly overthinking this.

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Ahh, yes -- the good old, "You said something I thought was stupid once, so now I can discredit everything you say in the future" approach...

Your comments are confusing because you actually acknowledge that he was jittery and will continue to improve, so we seem to actually agree. I don't think I made any "dramatic" comments. I certainly didn't say it was a disaster or that he can't improve. Maybe simply pointing out the problem is seen as dramatic by fans who don't want anything but lollipops and sprinkled vanilla cupcakes. Or maybe we're not allowed to bring up one thing that needs to improve without thoroughly listing *all* things that need to improve team-wide...?

Josh Allen is great, but to be the best of the best, he's going to need to improve mentally/emotionally. This is objectively obvious. I can't fathom why this is so hotly contested by Bills fans. The homerism is strong in this thread.

stop it, (saying stop it is my new thing).

edit:  josh's nerves didn't lose the game.  the entire team team was high strung, a bit off, and just out matched.  this wasn't strictly a josh problem.  let's now make the nerve thing a new, major issue.  as experience comes, confidence comes.  he can handle the pressure, but for some reason people want to make this into a concern.  for me now, it's not.

Edited by teef
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, appoo said:

Sorry, but Allen had maybe 3 bad throws that entire game. Even that INT, that was a WR getting dominated in single coverage. Nerves wasn't an issue. Allen was ready, he was fairly accurate as well and in general made good decision. He got criticized for holding the ball and took bad sacks, but he took those sacks knowing he HAD to make plays, with his defense overmatched, and his injured WRs overwhelmed, and no Running game. He was in a position where he needed to extra risks

Nah, we were grinding yards. The checkdowns weren't the problem. He didn't have the big play available, and he couldn't get dudes open in the RZ.

By his own admission and the coaches admission he shouldn't need to take the whole game on his shoulders constantly. Although I get it it's not the 'smart' thing to do. I think by taking some checkdowns when the other big stuff isn't there he's a more dangerous QB. Do not remove the good stuff, just be more patient. 

The 'maturity' they are always talking about is making yourself less predictable so you don't have obvious weaknesses. The opponent is thinking 'he won't take the stuff we are giving him and will become impatient'. Belichek was goading him earlier in the season and he didn't take the bait. How many times has mcdermott said 'he needs to take what the defense is giving him.'?

I think where I disagree with you is that 'in general he made good decisions.' based on what I'm saying I can't really agree with that. He made good decisions in regards to not turning it over for the most part. It was made hard for him by the fact he couldn't roll out much and didn't run alot. My point is that there were some more options there for him and I'm pretty sure when there was a RB open and he didn't take it they resulted in incompletions. 

Daboll runs a similar system to NE. Brady takes alot of those checkdowns if he's in there. There were other problems no doubt, just pointing out where I thought Allen could of been better under pressure by playing more patiently. 

By checking down more it forces people to come up. A fast playmaker would help too. 

Edited by london_bills

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Actually not true. He had options open underneath and opted for the big play....it’s something we’ve seen from him. Not taking what the defense gives him and trying to force the big play which causes him to hold the ball and then back peddle 20 yards and then take ridiculous sacks. 

I disagree. Allen took the underneath stuff a lot yesterday the 17 catches by Beasley, Dawson & Yeldon attest to that. 

Also the fact that starting at the end of the 2nd period, the Bills had three long drives that ended in 2 FG's and an INT in which the ball bounced out of Browns hands.  In those drives Allen took the underneath stuff until the Bills ran out of real estate in the red zone.  Then the inability to gain separation by the receivers kept us from scoring TD's on those drives.

I'm amazed how when Allen has a couple of bad sacks folks seem to think it happened all game.  The fact was that Allen was under pressure very quickly a lot of the time and was the Chiefs got up by 3 scores he had to hold the ball and try to connect on the deep passes.

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Try some love poetry If you really want an ever lasting dumber then then the average bear effect.

I mean, does anyone remember Peyton Manning for the 1st 4-5 years that he tried to get by the Patriots?  

They made him look silly at times. There were some games where he threw multiple picks and looked like he was in completely over his head.  He couldn't figure out BB's defenses.  I think the Colts only scored a FG in one AFCCG.

Then, he got it. The last half of his career, he evened things out w/ that team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mahomes first AFC champ game he didn't look at all like the moment was too big for him.  Granted they lost but HE left it all on the field and without a dumb coin toss they probably would of won.  

This is untrue and a great example of revisionist history.

Mahomes looked like a deer in the headlights in the fist half as the Patriots led 14 - 0 at the half.  He settled down and did a little better in the 3rd quarter but going into the 4th quarter the Pats led the Chiefs 17 - 7. 

So surrounded by a ton of talent on offense Mahomes could only manage 7 points at home through 3 quarters.

Now in the 4th quarter Mahomes exploded and led the Chiefs to 24 points.  But it was clear to anyone who watched the game that the moment was clearly to big for Mahomes through 3 quarters.

Josh had a great season no doubt about it, but when the big game comes he choked.  I feel like Josh's mentality is more of Alex Zverev and not that of Djokovic (Tennis Fans).  When the "No tomorrow" situation comes, he DOESNT leave it all on the field. We squeaked by the colts, without johnson INT vs the ravens, we would of scored ten points total.  Unacceptable. This is my big concern.  How does someone work on nerves? I was joking with my dad during the game last night he needs to take a shot of whiskey to calm the nerves, but obviously the dude does not have ice water in his veins which is something a QB needs.  So what are the solutions? Sports Phych? Yoga? 

Great knee-jerk reaction to the Bills getting smoked by a better team. Did Josh field a team that had no viable running back? Did Josh let Hill and Kelce set records for receptions and yardage. Did Josh decide to play Davis and Smoke, who limped through that game getting no separation. Finally, are you blaming Josh for O-lineman letting free runners bury our QB with no adjustments in blocking schemes. Sean, Dabol, Frazier and Beane were the guys that cost us the game,not our 3rd yr QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

Peyton Manning was pretty bad in his first 4 starts in the playoffs and never recovered from it.  I'm not sure if he ever won anything after that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1