How does Josh work on his nerves...?

Adamb412

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Well I guess i am just silly and embarrassing myself.

Hilarious, 24 hours ago people here were praising J Allen and talking about the future and now has has to work on his mental game.

I just cant believe we have a QB that getting beat up in a playoff game actually had the nerve to look dejected.  I cant believe our QB could have a bad game, really inexcusable.  

I guess so, to be elite you have to show up for the big game and give your team a chance to win.  Buffalo offense was terrible and Josh Allen played an average Defense, not a top 5 Defense, completing 58% of your passes is going to make it pretty tough to win the big game.  Again, I do think they were out coached on both sides of the ball, just like the first game against the Chiefs.  I do think Josh Allen is going to get to the great/elite level.  He showed it all season long for the most part.  

38 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You're talking about the the uppermost echelon of generational player. If he wins the Super Bowl in 2 weeks he's already a top 10 player all-time if he never plays another down.

You're being ridiculous.

Well, I suppose we're screwed in the future then if Mahomes is just better than everyone else and we shouldn't compare Allen to him.

People who know football were comparing Allen to Mahomes. A lot of league people were saying they'd take Allen over Mahomes for the next 10 years. Allen will likely get more MVP votes than Mahomes. But we shouldn't compare the amount of ice in their veins in championship games? Okay.

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

KC's D-line features Clark and Jones two prime time pass rushers and their secondary is anchored by the Honey Badger who is one of the best in the game among other quality players. They are far from the bums many here are portraying them to be. 

I agree and we did make it easier with Beasley and Davis both playing with bum wheels and that’s just tough. Especially when they play press coverage 

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Good lord. Calm down. Looking nervy is not the same thing as losing or throwing interceptions or having a bad game. Brady will certainly not look nervy in the Super Bowl. And, yeah, the fact that he's won 5 million Super Bowls does give him a bit more of a leash no matter what happens. That's just the way it is.

Actually I am very calm, why are you resorting to that tactic trying to denigrate me?  

And i am not going to waste my time arguing with you about if Brady can look nervous in a game or comparing Brady vs Allen in a big game mentality..  And that is just the way it is.

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Thank you for acknowledging that nerves are an issue. That's all I want people to do... Take the blinders off and be realistic. It doesn't mean it can't improve.

I don't know if nerves is an issue or was it just a bad set of circumstances against KC. KC's secondary was playing lights out against a banged up WR corps and KC was getting pressure consistently due to being able to blitz due to said secondary play. Then you add in KC's offense putting up 38 and forcing the Bills to be one dimensional it was a bad situation all around regardless of whatever his nerves were. 

Nerves to me were more of an issue in my opinion against the Colts, the Bills were playing tight against the Colts and it showed despite Josh playing a good game. But I felt like once they broke the seal and got that first playoff win as a group I don't think nerves were a big issue.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Actually I am very calm, why are you resorting to that tactic trying to denigrate me?  

And i am not going to waste my time arguing with you about if Brady can look nervous in a game or comparing Brady vs Allen in a big game mentality..  And that is just the way it is.

I'm definitely not trying to denigrate you. Your comment seemed aggressive. Maybe I read it wrong.

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Well, I suppose we're screwed in the future then if Mahomes is just better than everyone else and we shouldn't compare Allen to him.

People who know football were comparing Allen to Mahomes. A lot of league people were saying they'd take Allen over Mahomes for the next 10 years. Allen will likely get more MVP votes than Mahomes. But we shouldn't compare the amount of ice in their veins in championship games? Okay.

It depends what you mean by "screwed". If we're screwed int he sense that we're on the Peyton Manning side of the Brady rivalry, then probably, but careers are long. Brady, the greatest of all time, only even made it to SB less than half of his seasons. You can't win it all every year, so some of those years will be opportunities for Josh. At this point however, Mahomes is a perfect football player playing on a perfect football team. 

How do you do beat that? Build a perfect football team and try to get lucky.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

Myself personally, 

Game nerves had little to do with Allens performance. Drained from worrying about his Dad and trying to stay focused with the task at hand IMO.  Allen loooked washed out IMO.

Edited by Figster

25 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

There is so much wrong with this argument.

Josh will continue to develop and get accustomed to the championship game situation.  Have you ever played competitive sports?  It takes some time to process how to adapt to pressure.  He made great strides this year.  He'll make more as his career continues.  I mentioned Brady as a sarcastic comment because clearly he does not succumb to the pressure of the moment.  Yet if you watched their game yesterday he stunk in the second half.

The one potentially notable exception to this is Mahomes, and even he had to close one before he won them all last year.  Many greats, Manning, Favre, Brees, all went through this.  

Sorry, but Allen had maybe 3 bad throws that entire game. Even that INT, that was a WR getting dominated in single coverage. Nerves wasn't an issue. Allen was ready, he was fairly accurate as well and in general made good decision. He got criticized for holding the ball and took bad sacks, but he took those sacks knowing he HAD to make plays, with his defense overmatched, and his injured WRs overwhelmed, and no Running game. He was in a position where he needed to extra risks

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I think the key thing here is that for Allen to have been better yesterday I actually think he needed to do less. 

There were times when I saw a RB open and he would fake then look for a bigger play. 

Nah, we were grinding yards. The checkdowns weren't the problem. He didn't have the big play available, and he couldn't get dudes open in the RZ.

33 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This literally has nothing to do with the topic.

Objective observers everywhere can see that the "mental" is an issue with Allen. Why is everyone so afraid of accepting that? I just said I have faith he can improve. But some people just seem to be scared to death to acknowledge the need for improvement.

sure it does.  it shows you're not an objective observer.  you were, "depressed" earlier in the season because you didn't like how things were going.  now that we fan's have experienced a first loss in forever, it's time for some posters to point fingers and place blame.  i get it.  

josh wasn't great.  the defense wasn't great.  coaching, special teams, etc wasn't great.  the bills lost to a much better team.  was josh jittery at points?  sure, but it wasn't a disaster like some people are trying so hard to make it out to be.

we all knew what a project josh was when the bills drafted.  he took a huge leap this year, and i still don't think he's anywhere close to where he could be.  experience and game management will come.  hell, just a few months ago people right here were telling us how josh would never get better...they were wrong.  

people need to mellow the ***** out with the dramatics.

25 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm just waiting for the All-22 to show me what big throw that was available that he missed. 

Missed checkdowns yes, always chooses to scramble right, holds the ball too long trying to make plays. 

But watching that game, I don't know who was open, maybe they should have shortened the routes more, or use McKenzie more?

He could have gone to under routes I think a bit more.  and I am confused we did not use McKenzie more, given the injuries to 3 of the other receivers.

I said last night in another thread, it is expected that people look for things to blame when a team loses.  But sometimes the simple answer is that the other team was just better.  The Chiefs were just better last night.  Their offense was better than our D, their D was better than our O, and their coaches were better that our coaches.  They've been there a lot the last 3 years, and with guys like Mahomes and Kelcy that are HOF shoo ins.  I expect the Bills coaches and players will absorb a ton from this experience to use next year, just as they used last's years loss in round 1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Adamb412 said:

Josh had a great season no doubt about it, but when the big game comes he choked.  I feel like Josh's mentality is more of Alex Zverev and not that of Djokovic (Tennis Fans).  When the "No tomorrow" situation comes, he DOESNT leave it all on the field. We squeaked by the colts, without johnson INT vs the ravens, we would of scored ten points total.  Unacceptable. This is my big concern.  How does someone work on nerves? I was joking with my dad during the game last night he needs to take a shot of whiskey to calm the nerves, but obviously the dude does not have ice water in his veins which is something a QB needs.  So what are the solutions? Sports Phych? Yoga? 

How about an OL that gives him more than 1.5 seconds after 80% of the snaps before he has to run for his life, in the biggest game of his young career, after leading them to a division title with a 13-3 record for the first time in 25 years, while also leading a team to their furthest advancement in the playoffs in 27 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Using the word choke is way to harsh and ignoring every other area of the Team last night.

Those points have already been discussed.

Josh has things to work on. He pressed at times. He even said as much. Did his play single handedly  lose this game for us no. Could he

have won it for us-no. 

We are not there yet.