So...are Edmunds and Oliver good?

Reader

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No one with two eyes thinks any defense is capable of beating an elite offense.

Maybe?  Take a look at how Todd Bowles defends the Chiefs in two weeks.  Might end up with the same result but I guarantee he won't sit back and let his guys get punched in the mouth repeatedly.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe?  Take a look at how Todd Bowles defends the Chiefs in two weeks.  Might end up with the same result but I guarantee he won't sit back and let his guys get punched in the mouth repeatedly.

I should say no defense will be capable of beating an elite offense consistently. But what you want to do is have just ENOUGH on defense (provided you have a great offense which I believe we do) to match up against what most elite offenses like to do in hopes of slowing them down or in that rare event dominating them.

McDermott knows how to build a defense and Edmunds is a big part of that...will it win consistently against the Chiefs, probably not. But there isn't a defense around that does. We need to be good at what we do (solid understanding of assignments and responsibility, fast laterally from sideline to sideline, quick in run fits etc) defensively and Edmunds fits that.

• Like (+1) 1

Oliver...I'll give him a couple more years.  Very inconsistent, and disappointing considering he was a top ten pick.

Edmunds...How can a guy playing LB who is on the field for almost all defensive snaps make so few impact plays?  If the Bills can trade him for a 2nd round pick, I'd do it ASAP.  If they decide to keep him for 2021, I'm not sure I'd even commit to the 5th year option.

Edited by BTB

I’m officially off the Edmunds train.  He is just not very good.  I’m tired of people using his age as an excuse.  It’s becoming a tired cop out.

So many rookies have come into the NFL at 21 or 22 and made a bigger impact.  

If I’m Beane, I don’t pick up the option and make him earn a second deal.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Having played the position from 8 years old to 22 years old.  There is a reason for that.  He is still young, and SO Physically talented, he has not had to go on his initial read (call it instincts or guessing).  So instead you know you are better physically than every person you played against you take that extra half second to mak sure your read is correct and still can make the play.  That is hampering him at times in the NFL because everyone is physically gifted.  He will be GREAT if he can break that mindset of taking a half second longer knowing his physical traits will make up for the delay

You may be right.

McD mentioned in a presser that Edmunds had been playing more aggressive.

Reading into that, the coaches see the film, the hesitation, the missed tackles and he may still be adapting to that role where he is no longer the biggest, strongest, fastest player on the field.

I assume next year there will be some influx of talent, but more tweaks than wholesale changes. 

This draft will be very interesting.

11 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Watch White and David specifically.  Might not make much of an impact bc Chiefs are going to throw 45 times.

When I watch White and Wagner in Seattle, I think Tre looks nothing like these guys.  They are around the ball carrier almost every time.  Lots of tackles within 3 yards of the LOS.  I can't remember ANY plays where I saw him blow up a run in the hole at the LOS.

Actually going to look at some highlights to see if I'm missing something.  I just don't think he has good instincts (they're ok...his bigger problem is shedding blocks).  You're never going to coach that into him.  

Edited by Big Blitz

FWIW Edmunds has made the pro bowl the past two seasons so someone sees something in him. He also often seems to be in the gang of 4 or 5 it takes to bring the ball carrier down.

Oliver I don't see much, possibly because he gets swallowed up as a DT or that he's too often rotated out of the game. Maybe I just don't see the number 91 very well.

I don’t want to make a specific post about this, so I’ll put it here.

Anyone think it’s possible (unlikely, I know) that we could trade 30 and Edmunds for a top 10ish pick and draft Micah Parsons?  

This defense really thrives off of the LBs and Edmunds is too hit or miss.  You never know what you’re going to get each week imo.  Some weeks, he looks like an all pro.  Some weeks he looks lost and unsure of what to do. 

is that enough capital to get into Parsons range.  Edmunds is still a valuable asset....I just don’t think he worth 17 mill a year long term unless he gets much better.  His measurables are sure to land him a huge contract that he isn’t worthy of Imo