So...are Edmunds and Oliver good?

Reader

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's an interesting thread of film cuts from Erik Turner (cover1):

You have to look around through comments and other posts but if you're interested, it'll get you started.

The first of those two is the exact play I have been talking about since the game when responding to people saying "the zone clearly wasn't working they should have changed up to man."

Sometimes it isn't the Xs and the Os..... it is the Jimmys and the Joes. 

I think both Edmunds and Oliver would be better in a 3-4. I also think a 3-4 would be a better defense to handle KC. I feel like you can disguise so much more in a 3-4 defense.

The only reason I might watch the super bowl on my phone is to see how the Bucs 3-4 defense does against KC. If they slow them down I would definitely try and copy it, I feel like it would be a easy transition for us. I’m interested to see what personnel they use in their nickel and dime formations and how much they play in the base 3-4 against KC.

• Dislike 2

24 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think both Edmunds and Oliver would be better in a 3-4. I also think a 3-4 would be a better defense to handle KC. I feel like you can disguise so much more in a 3-4 defense.

The only reason I might watch the super bowl on my phone is to see how the Bucs 3-4 defense does against KC. If they slow them down I would definitely try and copy it, I feel like it would be a easy transition for us. I’m interested to see what personnel they use in their nickel and dime formations and how much they play in the base 3-4 against KC.

Where would Oliver go in a 3-4?  OLB?

• Like (+1) 1

I think Im willing to give Oliver more of a pass than Edmunds. 

He needs another talented interior tackle with him. Hughes is solid...but hes not a guy you want there on rushing downs. So it makes it that much easier to block the undersized DT. 

Edmunds has just not been quick on his reactions. Hes fast...but he doesnt process quick enough.

47 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

No to a 3-4. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well the good thing for the anti-Edmunds crowd, when he's a FA, he's going to get a ton of money.  Money we probably won't match.

He's 22 and has been to two Pro Bowls...that is such a bargaining chip for a player and agent.

Just a few more years!

One is just a Madden pro bowl and it’s probably the only one he will play good in. Edmunds is still very young and it appears a lot of his mistakes are mental. I still see him getting a little stronger and becoming a good all around LB. If his agent feels like he should be paid as a top 5 LB that will be a fun decision for The Bean to make.

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He absolutely cannot play NT in a 3-4.  He was misused in college.  He doesn't have the length for LE in a 3-4. 

One of the best NT that I have ever seen is Casey Hampton, he was 6-1 314 coming out of college and was just a force controlling gaps and pushing the pocket. I think Oliver could easily put on 25 lbs without losing much burst and speed. Ted Washington was the best NT ever but Casy Hampton was right behind him.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yes, because CB2/3 is just as important as MLB. Good point.

CB2 lines up across #2 WR’s who see the field the majority of the time. 

This is the first I’ve heard that #2 CB’s aren’t important in a passing league where basically base defense is nickel.

Besides, as we all know, all of the playoff teams had All-Pros at MLB as its so important. KC’s starting MLB may have been the difference on Sunday.

Just now, FireChans said:

CB2 lines up across #2 WR’s who see the field the majority of the time. 

This is the first I’ve heard that #2 CB’s aren’t important in a passing league where basically base defense is nickel.

Besides, as we all know, all of the playoff teams had All-Pros at MLB as its so important. KC’s starting MLB may have been the difference on Sunday.

You don't understand how our defense works, clearly. Our CB2 doesn't 'line up across from #2 WR' inasmuch as he plays opposite White. That's a very significant difference.

The bolded is not germane to your original point nor my response.

15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

My one caveat is that you have to be more patient with young players. Edmunds is just 22 still, and Knox is a young 24. Both are extremely talented and way above average with regard to 40 times relative to their positions and size. NFL coaching is all about extracting the best out of raw, elite talent, and both of those guys are very talented physically.

I totally agree with you, but in regards to Knox I just haven’t seen enough to feel confident in him being TE1 next year.  Doesn’t mean he can’t break out or keep improving, but I would love to see us bring in someone like Ertz as a veteran leader for the kid.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Reader said:

In the past few weeks I have seen the gamut of "these guys are busts" to "they have been out of position" to "they (mainly Oliver) are on the verge of breaking out". What are your assessment of these two, maybe, core players to build around? 

They are both Good...  

The question is are they Top end Good to build around, I think that jury is still out on both

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I think Im willing to give Oliver more of a pass than Edmunds. 

He needs another talented interior tackle with him. Hughes is solid...but hes not a guy you want there on rushing downs. So it makes it that much easier to block the undersized DT. 

Edmunds has just not been quick on his reactions. Hes fast...but he doesnt process quick enough.

Having played the position from 8 years old to 22 years old.  There is a reason for that.  He is still young, and SO Physically talented, he has not had to go on his initial read (call it instincts or guessing).  So instead you know you are better physically than every person you played against you take that extra half second to mak sure your read is correct and still can make the play.  That is hampering him at times in the NFL because everyone is physically gifted.  He will be GREAT if he can break that mindset of taking a half second longer knowing his physical traits will make up for the delay

• Like (+1) 2