So...are Edmunds and Oliver good?

Reader

Just now, NewEra said:

Oliver is playing out of position.  He’s fine.  Edmunds......eh.  Love the kid, but the passer rating when targeting him is over 130!               Just think about that....... QB rating over 130 when targeting Edmunds..... I just don’t think he has the instincts to play the position 

Right agree. I think the whole front 7 is playing outta position. The cover 2 nickle whatever only works if have good front 4 rushing the passer. Why some teams like Colts have some amazing games. The scheme and the players don't fit well. It's on them both.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Oliver was ranked like 104 out of 110 DTs on PFF. 

Edmunds, great athlete, but I think we have commented that his instincts are questionable. 

Oliver weighs 287 and play the 1 tech, battling 2 300+ lb OL on almost every play. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Oliver weighs 287 and play the 1 tech, battling 2 300+ lb OL on almost every play. 

There were questions whether competition was a factor in his college dominance, and concerns over his lackluster Senior year. 

Those concerns seem justified at this level. 

And again, I'm not saying Beane stinks or anything, on this first rounder it's looking like a miss. 

Mahomes was just ruthless with Edmunds in the passing game. It looked like they were repeatedly targeting his zone in the first half. 

As others have said, I'd like to see Oliver next to a behemoth next year before making a call one way or another. Maybe he'll do better with more one v one. 

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

Edmunds needs a another year to see what he is, he was hurt over half the year, if not more. Oliver needs more help...he not going to be someone teams need to game plan for but he is a good football player....  we need a big strong run stopping DT..... and a real pass rusher someone teams need to account for.  I think the pass rusher needs to come via trade.... almost zero chance we get one in the draft drafting as low as we will.

as I see it

Must have 

DT

pass rusher

RB

another quality LB

starting CB

————————————

needs

center

right guard

right tackle ( depending on willams)

TE

speed wr. ( depending on brown)

Edited by gordong

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

There were questions whether competition was a factor in his college dominance, and concerns over his lackluster Senior year. 

Those concerns seem justified at this level. 

And again, I'm not saying Beane stinks or anything, on this first rounder it's looking like a miss. 

He played 1 tech he entire senior year!!!  He’s played 1 tech this entire year!!! 

HE’S NOT A 1 TECH.  

• Like (+1) 1

Teams typically don't pick a guy @ #9 that will need significant help (Big 1T) to have an impact on the game. By that measure alone he's been a big disappointment. I'm certain they envisioned Oliver to play more like Kyle than not. While he is not a "bad" player this was a big miss @ #9.

Edmunds is a mystery to me. You would think being that tall and having that wingspan he'd be tipping and touching alot more balls on the field. He also really struggles to get off blocks and seems to shoot the wrong gap more often than the right one. I also have a hard time understanding why he struggles in coverage soo much, he's fast, long, tall, they say he has good instincts and is smart, I don't get it. 

IDK, apparently Star was the lynchpin to Edmunds and Oliver improving / maintaining? It's safe to say both picks have not lived up to their billing at this time.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Move Edmunds to OLB already.  He has so much physical potential he would be a commanding trade bait if we so chose.

Oliver needs a big stud DT to play by his side so he can utilize his speed better.  He had his moments.

Both points are 100%. Neither player is worthy of a 1st round pick. I think Edmunds would make a serviceable OLB but Sean is dreaming if he thinks Tremaine will ever have the instincts neccessary for a MLB. Oliver needs Star badly. You could see that all year. And these FA d-lineman were busts.

• Like (+1) 2

They are both good. At their best they have an impact. But we haven't seen the consistency I expect from top half of the 1st round picks from either of them.

I thought Ed made 3 or 4 really nice plays yesterday 1 individual tackle for loss, another he was in on with Addison and twice he got pressure and forced incompletions. But at the moment they are nice players not difference makers. 

• Like (+1) 4

Will be interesting to see how Oliver plays lining up next to Star Lotulelei again. I'm assuming Star gets vaccinated and returns this season. I think a lot of his issue was he was doing things he normally wasn't asked to do because, by and large, Vernon Butler, Harrison Phillips, and Quinton Jefferson provided nothing next to him. 

Edmunds.... eek. Next year will be his fourth season in the league. I don't think there's any improving his bad instincts after 3 seasons. Get him another solid Outside Backer and hope for the best next season. Because neither of these guys are going anywhere right now.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

ok people saying Edmunds should be OLB but his cover skills, especially this last game was sketchy... I am done making excuses for these guys and people say he needs to be at de or better tech DT next to him.. his ceiling was supposed to be aaron darnald and thats not close!

Edmunds and Oliver are fit players with other players already in place.. not the other way around. 

I also feel defense play-calling has been suspect at times in these playoffs. You have to put your front 7 in position to do good and IT felt like we were out of position all year long

I think Edmunds would make a better 3-4 ILB then 4-3 and to be honest I think this Nickle 4-2-5 defense has sucked at times and we need to get out of it...

Oliver makes 2 plays a game just enough to make you see him then disappears 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Good post.  Yesterday's loss had me thinking about this same question since between Edmunds, Oliver and Epenesa  we have invested 3 very high picks.

Edmunds isn't developing.  Oliver isn't penetrating at a rate I'd expect.  Epenesa, jury's still out - was surprised that he got the nod over Murphy yesterday.

This--any word on why Murphy after arguably a great performance in corralling Lamar last week was sitting again? 

I so wanted Edmunds to be THAT guy......pretty obvious he isn't.....try him at OLB next year and if that is a bust let him walk......

Oliver I honestly believe if Star were here they would have been mean and nasty.  Oliver will benefit from Star's returning.  Or who knows?  Maybe Star decides hnaging it up is a good thing?  Maybe most if not all Vid holdouts say the same?  It is a shame that the Bills kinda wasted his talent this season....that is obviously on Beane.  In his defence there isn't a vending machine to raid tho and he did sign quite a few DL's......

Oliver is too small for the position he is playing. Edmunds, I think, could also use a position change to get something out of his "freakish" talent. Clearly, the Bills are not getting 1st round talent in return for the investment in these guys.

1 hour ago, Adamb412 said:

edmunds is young the dude is still growing.  I wasn't that much of a fan of Oliver when drafted at a DT. he is too small as a DT.  I don't know why they don't try him at DE

dude young has nothing to do with it when its your third year in the league. how many years of experience he need to get better?

youth is a horrible excuse

Its crazy because with Edmunds I think we have a player that could match up with Travis Kelce. Seriously Edmunds is 6-5 and runs a 4.55 40. I know we want to play him as MLB but if he was playing linebacker that should be a good matchup. Need a great edge rusher as well. We talk about the Bills being young team BUT we are old at alot of key positions

Also Mcdermott needs more tools in the bag. One think about Bill Belicheat he has the knowledge to play multiple front. I wish MCdermott had that same ability