So...are Edmunds and Oliver good?

Reader

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Move Edmunds to OLB already.  He has so much physical potential he would be a commanding trade bait if we so chose.

Oliver needs a big stud DT to play by his side so he can utilize his speed better.  He had his moments.

I have been curious of Edmunds and playing outside. We play so many 2LB sets that moving Edmunds outside has him replacing Milano. But is Edmunds better than Milano at that role?

But Edmunds and Milano are both so athletic. Could we play more 3 LB sets with a better MLB and use Milano as our big nickel rather than trying to get a safety out? The biggest problem with that now is that Klein is no nearly athletic enough, but he does play well downhill. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Exactly. 

He's usually double teamed. Needs a space eater next to him to get 1 on 1

100% correct.  Butler was supposed to be that guy, but even at 320 he is still more of a 3 tech.   The Bills had to resort to using Oliver at 287 at 1 tech during portions of the season.   I'll wait until after next year to make my mind up on Oliver, but Edmunds is case closed for me.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I honestly think Edmunds best position may be 3-4 Edge Rusher. 

IDK about a pure edge rusher. I see him as more naturally having that Manny Lawson and Anthony Barr skill set. 

To the OP.... I don’t think it’s time to give up on Oliver. He has talent, but he needs to get much better at hand fighting to start making splash plays. He just doesn’t have the size and length to win without improving that aspect of his game. That is one area of Donald’s skillset that is best in the league, and it’s often how he creates opportunities to use his leverage and strength. It would also help to have a dominant DT or DE next to him that forces offenses to choose who to double team. Right now I can’t say that we have a single Dline player that commands a double team or extra attention and that lets offenses run combination blocks at the point of attack without negative results. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like to see the heavy DL rotation go away. You want to see if Oliver is good, play him the majority of the game. I don't know why McD insists on doing so much rotation, you have guys like Oliver Hughes playing at most 55% of the snaps just to get other guys playing time. I don't think any other team does this.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

100% correct.  Butler was supposed to be that guy, but even at 320 he is still more of a 3 tech.   The Bills had to resort to using Oliver at 287 at 1 tech during portions of the season.   I'll wait until after next year to make my mind up on Oliver, but Edmunds is case closed for me.

Really? I think he'd be an outstanding OLB but I totally understand why ppl feel this way. I was cursing him last night because of all the plays he was out of position on... But he's a Captain and it looks like Buf is all in on him. Do you think he just doesn't have it at this level? 

I think Edmunds is the weakpoint of the defense, sorry to say. We've been extremely vulnerable to midrange attacks especially by teams with strong running games and TEs. 

Not that Edmunds can't turn the corner, but ILB is a position I hope we address in FA/draft.

24 minutes ago, costrovs said:

Edmunds was an OLB in college, but McD converted him to MLB. That hasn't really worked out very well. I (and probably McD and others) were hoping for a Luke Kuechly-esque MLB. I'm honestly not sure how he's made the pro bowl these past couple seasons.

Oliver's to small for DT, I never liked the pick when it happened. He's playing exactly how I thought he would play, like crap.

Yep, he's still stuck on that Luke Kuechly substitute idea.

McD: you'll only have one Luke Kuechly in your career. They don't make many of 'em.

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds is so inconsistent. Either he's a sideline to sideline tackling machine or he gets fooled on every play and is nowhere to be found, like last night. Oliver is solid but not spectacular and certainly not a pressure up the middle game changer. These guys are still on rookie contracts, if they want it they can be much better. Let's see if they want to be the players we need them to be to get where we want to go.

11 minutes ago, 947 said:

I'd like to see the heavy DL rotation go away. You want to see if Oliver is good, play him the majority of the game. I don't know why McD insists on doing so much rotation, you have guys like Oliver Hughes playing at most 55% of the snaps just to get other guys playing time. I don't think any other team does this.

I completely agree. I understand it in theory, keep the DL fresh = more pressure but they were invisible last night and if we want to get a ring, that can't happen in games like this. 

I do give them credit for their play in WC and Divisional games,  as well as down the stretch of regular season but why not give your elite guys 75-80%?

At the same time,  how many elite guys do we even have on the DL, Hughes, Oliver? 

We need a big time pass rusher , he'd make the whole line better.  Just look at what Clark and Jones did last night, even when they don't make the play, they're a big reason why the other guys did. 

Just now, JerseyBills said:

Really? I think he'd be an outstanding OLB but I totally understand why ppl feel this way. I was cursing him last night because of all the plays he was out of position on... But he's a Captain and it looks like Buf is all in on him. Do you think he just doesn't have it at this level? 

He may be fine at OLB, but I feel like the coaches have waited too long to find out.    What I mean by that is this, if you move him this year to replace Milano and draft his replacement at ILB, then he falls on his face, you will be opening a hole on the roster you wouldnt have had if you just resigned Milano.    For me you fix the problem you know you have now, without making future issues for yourself.    I think he can play at this level yes, but I don't think its at middle linebacker, and I think Milano is the better linebacker.   What I'd like the Bills to do is try and trade Edmunds before they have to make a decision on his 5th year option because I simply dont think they should pick it up.   However, they seem pretty high on the kid so.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Edmunds is so inconsistent. Either he's a sideline to sideline tackling machine or he gets fooled on every play and is nowhere to be found, like last night. Oliver is solid but not spectacular and certainly not a pressure up the middle game changer. These guys are still on rookie contracts, if they want it they can be much better. Let's see if they want to be the players we need them to be to get where we want to go.

Edmunds is almost mind boggling to me. Hyde, Lorax , Kyle etc have all said he's special and I believe Hyde said he'll be in the hall of fame and meant it. 

His size n speed is rare but I'm seriously worried he's gonna be JAG . 

But , he was great vs Baltimore and a huge reason we were so dominant. 

Like you said,  inconsistent.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He may be fine at OLB, but I feel like the coaches have waited too long to find out.    What I mean by that is this, if you move him this year to replace Milano and draft his replacement at ILB, then he falls on his face, you will be opening a hole on the roster you wouldnt have had if you just resigned Milano.    For me you fix the problem you know you have now, without making future issues for yourself.    I think he can play at this level yes, but I don't think its at middle linebacker, and I think Milano is the better linebacker.   What I'd like the Bills to do is try and trade Edmunds before they have to make a decision on his 5th year option because I simply dont think they should pick it up.   However, they seem pretty high on the kid so.

I agree

• Like (+1) 1

To me the  softcover 2 (whatever scheme tampa 2, cover 3 or nickle whatever) D making the D look worse. The front 4 has to get the job done. (pass rushers get to QB)Making everyone look foolish in this defense. Plus the off coverage from the CBS as well.  The Bill's Defense built the wrong way this year and teams like Chiefs will make them pay. It's easy answer to look at. 

Agree with Edmunds but front 4 needs to get better tho. Hurting all the defense in a really bad way.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Edmunds is almost mind boggling to me. Hyde, Lorax , Kyle etc have all said he's special and I believe Hyde said he'll be in the hall of fame and meant it. 

This is for sure true

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Frustrating player, he could be a difference maker like that monster White on Tampa.

• Like (+1) 1

Oliver is playing out of position.  He’s fine.  Edmunds......eh.  Love the kid, but the passer rating when targeting him is over 130!               Just think about that....... QB rating over 130 when targeting Edmunds..... I just don’t think he has the instincts to play the position 

• Like (+1) 3