So...are Edmunds and Oliver good?

Reader

I feel like Edmunds was picked on multiple times. He falls for the "window dressing "  as they say, way too much- motion , play action , pump fakes . Gotta watch the all 22.

But I've said all year that once he got healthy around week 8-9 , the D started to look like the 2019 D. 

I'll chalk it up to a bad game and gameplan.  

I think Oliver is very good , I think not having Star really hurt him 

• Like (+1) 2

No right now they arent.   With Oliver at least you get him taking up some double teams, but he has offered you very little in terms of pass rush, which is what you drafted him to do.

On Edmunds, I am sick of watching him play.     For everyone in this thread who keeps saying he is young, you gotta let him develop...can you please tell me what he is good at?   Where does he make an impact on the field?  What does he excel at?   Because when I watch the kid play he looks like a giant who cant tackle well, isnt all that physical intimidating, is slow to process plays, is constantly getting juked out of his shoes and has done nothing in terms of rushing the passer. 

Every week I watch him play, I think to myself what the hell am I missing? 

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Edmunds has no instincts.  I don’t think that’s something you develop either, it’s innate.  His brother plays the same way, and Pittsburgh ran out of patience and cut him.  

Oliver is a fine rotational player, but he was massively over drafted.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stokes84 said:

Edmunds has no instincts.  I don’t think that’s something you develop either, it’s innate.  His brother plays the same way, and Pittsburgh ran out of patience and cut him.  

Oliver is a fine rotational player, but he was massively over drafted.  

I agree to an extent but Pitt didn't cut Terrell,  their 1st rd Safety. 

And wasn't the other bro a RB? 

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds has shown he can be good but not great. I think he's best suited as a strong side LB and feel is better at rushing the passer then being a sideline to sideline guy. Because he was named to 2 Pro Bowls think he'll be looking for too big a contract to keep. Oliver on other hand just hasn't been shown to be much. Like Edmunds I keep them for their 4 years and not rush to re-sign to top end money. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Yep, that's who they cut. But Terrell does have some serious issues at safety

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Edmunds has shown he can be good but not great. I think he's best suited as a strong side LB and feel is better at rushing the passer then being a sideline to sideline guy. Because he was named to 2 Pro Bowls think he'll be looking for too big a contract to keep. Oliver on other hand just hasn't been shown to be much. Like Edmunds I keep them for their 4 years and not rush to re-sign to top end money. 

I honestly think Edmunds best position may be 3-4 Edge Rusher. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Oops... yeah, that’s right. They cut Trey, the RB.  I remember watching the game before Trey was cut, and the safety was just whiffing on tackles.  Then when the news broke, I just assumed that it was him.  My bad.  The point still stands, the Edmunds brothers are physical specimens that don’t love to tackle.

Edmunds was an OLB in college, but McD converted him to MLB. That hasn't really worked out very well. I (and probably McD and others) were hoping for a Luke Kuechly-esque MLB. I'm honestly not sure how he's made the pro bowl these past couple seasons.

Oliver's to small for DT, I never liked the pick when it happened. He's playing exactly how I thought he would play, like crap.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The other brother got cut.  The safety is still on the team but is in trouble of being demoted, Steelers are incredibly unhappy with his production.

yea. He was a major reach imo and hasn't flashed much of anything imo. 

Edmunds definitely regressed since last year.  Maybe battling an injury? Oliver doesn’t really impress me much.  

I think as a whole,  the entire front 7 just leaves a lot to be desired.  Biggest weakness is in the trenches.  We just lack physicality up front.  No pressure on QB,  can’t stop the run.  As a result that puts a lot of pressure on good LB play to hit the gaps, make tackles and cover guys in the middle.

Beane needs to prioritize the Dline this offseason.  Total revamp needed.  Draft/sign some big, mean dudes in the middle. A good pass rusher is a must. Maybe move Oliver to DE.