Officials reviewed and overturned a non-reviewable play when Allen was ruled out of bounds at the 9 prior to throwing the ball away.

Big Turk

This is getting a lot of attention in officiating circles.  It's a major administrative error -- misapplication of the rules is usually a death sentence for a playoff assignment for an official.

Al Riveron's only role as SVP of officiating is replay.  I would expect him to be the fall guy here, and I would not be at all surprised of Walt Anderson takes over the replay duties next season.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, sullim4 said:

This is getting a lot of attention in officiating circles.  It's a major administrative error -- misapplication of the rules is usually a death sentence for a playoff assignment for an official.

Al Riveron's only role as SVP of officiating is replay.  I would expect him to be the fall guy here, and I would not be at all surprised of Walt Anderson takes over the replay duties next season.

However, the real problem is, why isn't it??  It is pretty obvious this is usually going to be an open and shut case on replay review, so why would this be something that isn't reviewable and how is it any different than when McDermott challenged that Hill was out of bounds on his 16 yard gain that would have been a 31 yard gain?

• Like (+1) 2

Is this a shock? No not a tall.

Just like last year versus the Texans in the playoffs on that 2nd half kickoff..., even IF it isnt explicitly spelled out in the rule books the NFL will make the decision they think is "more fair". 

I have no problem with last years decision on the kickoff and no problem with them reviewing a situation that was "not re-viewable" according to the rule book. In the playoffs they can concentrate and use more common sense as opposed to just relying on the rule book.

Interesting.  I thought for sure it was a reviewable play because most everything is when it comes to plays "governed by the boundary lines."  So I looked in the rule book and it is not.  The rule book specifically states this...

Item 3. Passer Out of Bounds Before Throwing Pass. A ruling that a player stepped out of bounds before throwing a pass is not reviewable to determine if he was inbounds when he threw the pass.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2020-nfl-rulebook/#article-5.-plays-governed-by-the-boundary-lines

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

There are a lot of plays that should be reviewable.  That's one.

That being said, if it gets Riveron fired, great.

Shoot. That helmet to helmet at the goal line,  which was fumbled and a touch back on CLE should have been reviewable 

If that did and obviously gets overturned,  we're probably going to the SB, I believe we beat Cle at home. 

Why not make any call reviewable? Why put restrictions? If the officials missed a call , shouldn't matter what the call was..

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Also, I'm not sure why it wasn't intentional grounding, even if Allen had not gone out of bounds.  There clearly was no receiver in the area and the ball did not go past the LOS. 

Because the initial ruling he was out of bounds so the pass doesn't "count" So yes he was called in bounds on the replay reversal,  an official can't throw flags seen on a replay. 

Edited by The Jokeman

27 minutes ago, mannc said:

Also, I'm not sure why it wasn't intentional grounding, even if Allen had not gone out of bounds.  There clearly was no receiver in the area and the ball did not go past the LOS. 

It actually went a good five yards beyond the LOS. I watched it a couple of times to make sure.

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Because the initial ruling he was out of bounds so the pass doesn't "count" So yes he was called in bounds on the replay reversal,  an official can't throw flags seen on a replay. 

Maybe that's why they deemed that type of play as non-reviewable? 🤷‍♂️

But who effin knows when it comes to the NFL and "rules". They can't even define a catch.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Shoot. That helmet to helmet at the goal line,  which was fumbled and a touch back on CLE should have been reviewable 

If that did and obviously gets overturned,  we're probably going to the SB, I believe we beat Cle at home. 

Why not make any call reviewable? Why put restrictions? If the officials missed a call , shouldn't matter what the call was..

I agree but the big problem is that these officials are so bad at their jobs it would be non stop reviews to make up for their incompetence. I have repeatedly argued on here that coaches should be able to challenge one bad officials call per game. That would certainly keep the officials more on their toes to make the right call. Like you said if Cleveland gets that call they might have won. And the helmet to helmet hit was so blatant even at real speed, the official had to be blind not to see it!!

• Agree 1

Everything should be reviewable. The helmet to helmet could have changed the outcome of the KC Cleveland game. The missed punch by Jones. Officials can't see everything. Get the call right should be the goal.

Just now, Livinginthepast said:

I agree but the big problem is that these officials are so bad at their jobs it would be non stop reviews to make up for their incompetence. I have repeatedly argued on here that coaches should be able to challenge one bad officials call per game. That would certainly keep the officials more on their toes to make the right call. Like you said if Cleveland gets that call they might have won. And the helmet to helmet hit was so blatant even at real speed, the official had to be blind not to see it!!

I don't think it's as easy as you state. That official had to watch the out of bounds line the pylon and the ball. In a fraction of a second. That is why replay was added. There is too much to process in fractions of seconds.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Everything should be reviewable. The helmet to helmet could have changed the outcome of the KC Cleveland game. The missed punch by Jones. Officials can't see everything. Get the call right should be the goal.

The officials had to have seen the Jones punch. He knocked the Bills lineman down with it. They just chose to overlook it which is ridiculous. It should have been an automatic ejection.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe that's why they deemed that type of play as non-reviewable? 🤷‍♂️

But who effin knows when it comes to the NFL and "rules". They can't even define a catch.

I don't know but to me any objective call to me should be reviewable.

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The officials had to have seen the Jones punch. He knocked the Bills lineman down with it. They just chose to overlook it which is ridiculous. It should have been an automatic ejection.

The eyes in the sky saw it and clues in the on the field refs to give a team a warning or two before pulling out the flags.

Edited by The Jokeman

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I don't think it's as easy as you state. That official had to watch the out of bounds line the pylon and the ball. In a fraction of a second. That is why replay was added. There is too much to process in fractions of seconds.

I thought the same thing but when I watched the replay the official is in a good position and you can see the Cleveland player's head take a serious turn after the hit. Also there would have been the unmistakable popping sound of the helmets hitting. Just like the Saints Rams game in 2018 in almost the same position. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Interesting.  I thought for sure it was a reviewable play because most everything is when it comes to plays "governed by the boundary lines."  So I looked in the rule book and it is not.  The rule book specifically states this...

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2020-nfl-rulebook/#article-5.-plays-governed-by-the-boundary-lines

You can understand why it isn't reviewable though. If a QB is ruled to step out of bounds and the whistle is blown, but somehow completes the pass, you can't award a completion after the whistle has been blown. The defense may have stopped playing when they heard the whistle. 

It's the same for a player being ruled out of bounds while running with the ball. You can't review it and then award him yards after the whistle was blown. The exception is as it pertains to first down or goal line, the player can be awarded up to 2 steps on review as it pertains to a first down or touchdown.

Edited by ComeInPeace
  • Like (+1) 1