What are your ideas to fix the Bills' running game for next year?

Logic

21 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I do think you can get good value without spending a high pick, but I just don't see Beane drafting RB again this year.

We will see. 

The thing is the team is getting to the point where it is so well stocked with talent that being really should be going best player available and the best player available might end up being a running back

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The thing is the team is getting to the point where it is so well stocked with talent that being really should be going best player available and the best player available might end up being a running back

Heh?   Generally that is a good idea, but applying a general idea to rule a specific situation is often unwise.   If you car is getting low mileage, it is a generally good idea to check to see if the carbarator is working well.   But if someone tells you that you have 4 flat tires, well, there is a better place to look for improvements. 

Our lack of a very good running back killed us.  We need a very good running back more than we need somethings like  "the highest rated player is a QB" or "the highest rated player is a kicker" or "the highest rated player is a WR"..     Putting an extra layer of chrome where there is enough NO.  Fixing what is broken. YES.      Last year I would have been happy with (Helaire32-  remember , he played for that team we played last Sunday, and was drafted in the first round),, Swift35, Taylor41, (Akers 52 no) or Dobbins55.  There were 4 more RB;s drafter before Moss   {Gibson(#66) would have been a steal, but most people(me too) missed him}.  We drafted the 10th running back at #80.  Please forget about the story "you can always get a good RB in the 3rd round".  The teams that wanted a good running back do differently.

We had a good record this year and have poor draft picks. I think we have picks 30, 62 & 94 in the first 3 rounds and then no picks until round 5. (Diggs trade).  Last year there were a lot of good running backs- not so much this year.  #30 may be too high, #62  is too low. What I would like to see is trading those first two picks to get two picks in the #40->#50 range.    You probably never would get the exact trades as you scheme, but #30 and #62, could work out to get #39 (7th in 2nd round0 and #50 (18th in second round). That would avoid overpaying for the RB with the first round pick and satisfy getting the "BPA" for the actual draft pick we walked up to the podium with.

Now they can't double the WR's and if they play man-to-man the RB get  head start on the DB's.  Deep safeties are NOT in the box. We can run around the edge. We can do screen passes. They have to protect more of the field. You have to threaten chunk yardage plays and there is another weapon.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

18 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

We need to get rid of Moss and Motor period.  Given the sample size we have witnessed of both players including last year and this season.  They are to small and don't have the speed or strength to break the initial hit at the point of contact and they both lack speed to impact the plays at the LOS.   Their receiving skills are questionable at best.

I have watched so many other teams this year and the good backs like Chubb, Kamara and McCaffrey always seem to make a second move to find a opening to get through the LOS if they are initially stopped or hit, or they break off left or right of the initial hit to gain yards somewhere else on the LOS when they don't see any daylight. 

Our backs don't possess any of those skillset traits.  I have seen them get hit and because of their size, they are either stopped at the initial point of impact or put on the ground shortly afterwards.  Only once have I seen Motor or Moss truly make a move in the secondary that shows they have pure instinctive RB traits, to avoid a possible would be tackler.  Good RB's consistently break tackles and make people miss.  These two can't.  Even when they are past the LOS in a somewhat open field.

Although the O-Line is bad at run blocking, I can count too many times this year where our backs were a "Zero" threat when they got into the open field.  They were terrible could not extend plays and get yardage that other backs in this league would.

We need to find another Karlos Williams but without all the associated problems he had off the field.

Agree 100% they both lack explosiveness. Not for nothing, but 35 reminded me a bit of Karlos. Runs angry

18 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Green Bay took Dillon in the 2nd round (#62). He was gone when Beane took Moss at #86. But every know-it-all I heard leading up to the draft had Dillon going 4th round-ish. So he might have been in the plans for the Bills. It's just someone else took a leap of faith.

Would he have been better than who they did pick in the second i can't remember who we took 🤔 .

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They have aging DEs, linebackers and safeties they have to decide whether or how to extend, Allen's contract.

There may be a few holes to fill once Beane decides who to keep and who to let walk, and some may just have a higher market value than what Beane is willing to pay and no hard feelings if they test the market.

If someone phenomenal drops that they think is a steal then yeah maybe.

I think Buffalo could use another quality TE. One that can catch and block. More twin TE sets, easier to run, better personnel for run blocking with the option to pass and run the play action. Could use an elite FB. Losing Dimarco did seem to hurt the team in terms of running the football. Buffalo runs a lot of 3-4 WR sets which is not conducive to running the football. Need to start running heavier sets.

FWIW, both Allen and Dawkins were asked how can the Bills fix their run game this off season in their pressers.

Allen basically said (as I recall it) "I really don't know" (that took me aback a bit)

Dawkins said "We just need to dial in a little more" and "we're a passing team" and some other kind of typically Shnowman-ish stuff (but it kind of gave me the impression that the line just doesn't focus very much on run blocking in practice or meetings.

this 100% falls on daboll. The zone blocking scheme is too easy to stop. Little to no imagination in the run game. Not sure the Bills ran 1 misdirection play all year. Ravens, niners, Rams, are all creative and use a lot of moving parts. 

15 hours ago, WideNine said:

Disagree.

You fix the trenches first. Most GMs are not spending the farm on RBs and there is a reason.

You fix the line and most are interchangeable, but it would be nice to have the power and home run threat.

There were 10 RB taken before Moss in the last draft.  7 of them, in my opinion, would have been a big improvement over Moss/motor.  Enough to give us a balanced offense.  We ran 40% of the time last year which includes all of Allen's "runs".

att.     yards   long   avg

Singletary        156     684     51   4.4

Moss                112      487     31    4.3  

Allen                 102     421     24    4.1

There were a few other rushers listed, some might be backwards passes o scramles/sacks.  Anyway without Allen included, we did runs to those two RBs  about 27 % of the time.  The lowest % rushing (including their QB) is 35% Jacksonville. The highest is the Ravens at 57%.    ... .My point is that we are way under the league practice in using the running game.

https://fftoday.com/stats/20_run_pass_ratios.html

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2020.htm

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-play-pct

They either need a power back, or a guy with speed. A power back helps the inadequacies of the blocking, or a speed guy gives us a chance to get outside for big gains - either with regular blocking, or screens. Hence opening up options in the passing game.

They must be able to do something to improve the run blocking, even if it's only a relatively small margin

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

There were 10 RB taken before Moss in the last draft.  7 of them, in my opinion, would have been a big improvement over Moss/motor.  Enough to give us a balanced offense.  We ran 40% of the time last year which includes all of Allen's "runs".

att.     yards   long   avg

Singletary        156     684     51   4.4

Moss                112      487     31    4.3  

Allen                 102     421     24    4.1

There were a few other rushers listed, some might be backwards passes o scramles/sacks.  Anyway without Allen included, we did runs to those two RBs  about 27 % of the time.  The lowest % rushing (including their QB) is 35% Jacksonville. The highest is the Ravens at 57%.    ... .My point is that we are way under the league practice in using the running game.

https://fftoday.com/stats/20_run_pass_ratios.html

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2020.htm

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-play-pct

On the usage part, yeah we lack enough balance to force teams to play our run.

I don't think vastly different changes in on field talent are needed. If they can keep Mongo and D.Williams on the line and have Ford compete with Ike for the LG spot I think the team will have the talent needed on the o-line. Whereas the RB situation I don't think needs to change much. Moss and Singletary are a capable combo, I particularly like Moss as the primary back and Singletary as a good back to take 35% of the work. But what needs to change is the balance in the coaching staffs approach to the ground game esp in worsening conditions. 

I don't think this team is suddenly going to get more balanced and be a highly impactful rush offense. But I can see this team running just a bit more to have a rushing attack that is primed and ready for a deep playoff run. It is more so on the coaching to scheme better runs and develop that power game when needed.

10 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Helair #32,,, Swift #35,  Taylor #41,  Akers #52,,,Dobbins #55,,, Dillion #62,,,,,Gibson #66,,,,Vaugh #76.....Bowden #80.  

This year we drafted the 10th running back.   A draft pick in 15-50 range is not spending the farm.              

Chubb Num 34

28 minutes ago, Buddo said:

They either need a power back, or a guy with speed. A power back helps the inadequacies of the blocking, or a speed guy gives us a chance to get outside for big gains - either with regular blocking, or screens. Hence opening up options in the passing game.

They must be able to do something to improve the run blocking, even if it's only a relatively small margin

Yup.  Moss and Singletary are basically .250 hitters in baseball.  No special attributes for either one; neither is fast, one is more elusive than the other and one is more powerful than the other.  But neither is powerful enough, and neither is elusive enough.  

• Like (+1) 2

A bit of a curveball to this debate, would be to re-evaluate our roster decisions positionally, on game days. I know McDermott likes rotation of his D-Linemen, but we might be keeping too many active, when we could have room for an extra back. Either a bruiser or speedster.

• Like (+1) 2