What are your ideas to fix the Bills' running game for next year?

Logic

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm also not for becoming a running team by any means, but it would be nice to have a real threat for short yardage plays. 

It would be even nicer to have a RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield and be 20 yards down field in the blink of an eye.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JOSH HUFF said:

I really like Najee Harris, he can move a pile and catch a ball like a WR.  I think he will be around, late 1st round

Yep, been saying it all year. If he's there with the 30th pick take him. He is a difference maker and is a great pass catcher. He would be a matchup nightmare for a defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JOSH HUFF said:

Need more balance.  Singletary was not good enough this year.  Moss was the better back in my opinion.  Draft Najee Harris

Watch how many of his TD's are passes. He would be such a game changer for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Hopefully they don't dedicate much in the way of resources to a "running game."

Run plays, except in very specific situations, are just a wasted down.

Maybe looking at improving RB doesn’t necessarily mean more run plays. They had a RB on the field almost every offensive play this season.  

I'd like to see us draft a solid RT and move Williams to LG. I don't know what to say about Singletary. He looked great as a rookie, but faltered in year 2. Moss wasn't too impressive either. Norman could also be released to free up cap space along with Lotulelei, Murphy and Addison. Edmunds, Ford and Oliver could be trade bait.

26 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Stolen from a post in another topic, but I like the idea of cutting Morse and sliding Feliciano over, to save $, keep the nastiness out there, and reinvest that money on the line. Dawkins and Williams can stay outside, and plug in two upgrades at guard.

Draft a RB high

Morse is overpaid, but Feliciano shouldn't even be a starter. I like him as 1st man off the bench at C/G though.

Many good, interesting ideas here.

But I'll go totally off-the-board and suggest putting Zimmer in as a big (and big speed) back.

I mean, did you see the wheels on that guy chasing down the TH 70 yarder? Holy crap he's a  frickin burner of a DT.

(I'm kidding, kidding...on the run game piece)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I think letting Morse walk and moving Feliciano to Center long term with Boettger and Ford would be an improvement running the ball. We also will look to bring in a back with speed.

I think Morse may consider retiring. This would make it much easier. The concussions have been to frequent. 

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Perhaps it's too early for some to start talking about next season. If that's the case for you, I understand.

As for me, I'm already excited about the potential of the 2021 Buffalo Bills.

It was quite clear watching last night's game -- and watching the entire season unfold, really -- that the Bills could DESPERATELY use a good run game. 

The question remains, though: Just HOW do you go about addressing the running game? Buffalo recently spent third round picks on Singletary and Moss. I doubt they're ready to give up on either of them, nor should they. The Bills usually only dress three running backs on game day, with the third being a special teams contributor. Neither Singletary nor Moss contribute much on special teams.

So what do you do?

Do you draft another running back? If so, you'd probably better draft one earlier than round three. If Singletary and Moss aren't getting it done, what makes you think another third round or later running back will?

Are you willing to part with such premium draft capital for a running back? Do you focus on replacing a guard or two, or the center? What do you do? 

Knowing how aggressively Beane attacks roster weaknesses, and how much McDermott values the run game, I trust that Buffalo will actively seek to address this problem. But in the meantime, how do YOU suggest we go about it? This question does not seem to have any easy answers.

Here is an idea.  Run more than 10 times.  Ha. 

Seriously.  Most running backs and Offensive lines get better as they wear down the D and get in a rhythm. This happened like 3 times all year when we were trying to ice games.   I don't think we got a good look at what we could do if we committed to it.  

I think people are too eager to get rid of Singletary. Last year he averaged 5+ ypc. I don't think he's changed, I think something else changed....the blocking scheme. Last year we were more reliant on the run. Josh threw 100 less times for 1500 less yards. This year they opened Josh up and the line focused on pass blocking. Not sure why the OL couldn't turn it on when they needed to run block...but they couldn't. I believe some alterations will allow them to get back to a running team when needed. 

Moss? I don't have a problem with him. He was a rookie who didn't get a normal rookie pre-season. No early camps, not much of a training camp w/ no pre-season games - then he got hurt early on. I think he'll be fine next season with a year under his belt. 

With other needs (based off how this off season goes), I don't see them getting a RB early in the draft. Maybe a flyer on FA back that won't cost too much...then again, they only play two on game day (unless they can coax one into ST's). I like Yeldon, when given a chance he does pretty well. Maybe turn Singletary into a Hines type role (despite his drop yesterday, he can catch the ball) and get Moss and ??? to do a bulk of the carries. Then again, what do I know. I'm like the rest of you, a non-paid armchair coach whose opinion means squat. 

Edited by 707BillsFan

6 hours ago, texasjute said:

Work hard with smart people in genetics and see if we can clone or recreate Thurman Thomas.

Seriously, I think this system needs a back who is  a true threat in the screen and short passing game to explode with YAC. Bring the defenses up to think about that more and that opens up more for our downfield receivers. The thing about Thurman was he phenomenal at catching but also had to be respected as a straight backfield runner. Where do we find one of these?

Although Thurman was an exceptional talent, he ran behind a talented line as well. Hull, Ritcher and Davis were very good to great. You later add in the “pit bull” Frerotte to take over for Ritcher and you have a wall for years to come that produced HOFers

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Although Thurman was an exceptional talent, he ran behind a talented line as well. Hull, Ritcher and Davis were very good to great. You later add in the “pit bull” Frerotte to take over for Ritcher and you have a wall for years to come that produced HOFers

Plus if we're going to clone TT, we'd have to wait 20+ years for him to age. We / I don't have time for that. 

• Haha (+1) 2

You get the interior O-line fixed first and most RBs will look like all-stars if those guys can get push and open holes.

Daboll has to be a bit more committed to that balance when teams decide to rush 4 and play coverage. We have to do enough to get them out of those split deep safety looks or punish them for it.

No sense going out spending draft or spend FA capital and have that player run into a wall of bodies each snap. Cart before the horse.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1