What are your ideas to fix the Bills' running game for next year?

Logic

58 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:

I really like Najee Harris, he can move a pile and catch a ball like a WR.  I think he will be around, late 1st round

I like Najee Harris a lot too but I think I prefer Travis Etienne as he's quicker, 4.3 they say, and he's an awesome pass catcher. He has Alvin Kamara potential and I think he and moss would be a great combo while Harris and Moss are a bit too similar IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

• There is a open line of communication between Buffalo and Carolina. 
  • Beane isn't afraid of the blockbuster trade
  • Carolina has a top-tier running back. 

I know this is highly doubtful and unlikely, but it wouldn't surprise me if McCaffrey is wearing a Bills uniform next season. (Injury history not withstanding).

1 minute ago, Draconator said:
  • There is a open line of communication between Buffalo and Carolina. 
  • Beane isn't afraid of the blockbuster trade
  • Carolina has a top-tier running back. 

I know this is highly doubtful and unlikely, but it wouldn't surprise me if McCaffrey is wearing a Bills uniform next season. (Injury history not withstanding).

Wishful thinking, not going to happen.

19 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think either of our backs would thrive in an actual rushing offense.  Not sure if its just - not creative?  But we basically have like 3 running plays.  Inside and outside zone (with occasionally mckenzie in motion), and if we're in shotgun its read option (with occasional motion, or RPO concepts).  No pitches, no power, no pin and pull, misdirection, counters, traps... anything.  

Earlier in the season I actually agreed with you. As the season wore on, I noticed that Singletary in particular just isn't powerful enough to fall forward and he's not fast enough to outrun guys. The stretch plays dont work because he's not fast enough. The inside plays dont work because he's not strong enough. I expected Moss to be a punisher, but he seems to be playing similar to Singletary... slow without the power to compensate. It's a big area of need unless Moss takes some miraculous step after healing from his injury, which is unlikely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm also not for becoming a running team by any means, but it would be nice to have a real threat for short yardage plays. 

As @DCOrange mentioned, Burkhead is a free agent. That guy is a killer at figuring out how to get those short 3rd down conversions-- plays violently and contorts is body really well. Then he brings the dimension as a great pass catcher. I assume his blocking is good, but am not sure. But I am loving the idea of Burkhead now in FA. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if Daboll simply re-committing in the offseason to finding run game solutions, and an o-line addition or two, could be the answer. 

I think both starting guard jobs should be up for grabs.

It's tough. On the one hand, you want to settle on a starting five OL and establish consistency. On the other hand, if you don't have the RIGHT five OL in house already, you've got to keep tinkering.

In any case, I don't tend to think that simply spending an early pick on a running back is the answer. I don't think Singletary and Moss are, in and of themselves, the problem. I think run game and philosophy and blocking and playcalling have a lot more to do with it.

It will be interesting to see what Beane's approach to this problem is in the offseason.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

Upgrade some players on the O line and get a true complimentary RB that is different from Singletary or Moss . I was not really impressed with Moss as this years choice i thought a AJ Dillon would have been a much better choice because he is a big powerful back which you need in the red zone .

Singletary i think this year was hurt by not getting as many carries and i think it showed in his production this year because he went backwards from his rookie year . 

But they definitely need to up grade the position i just hope they don't see Moss as the fix . Weldon was a much better option yesterday than either Moss or Singletary were this season as far as both in the run and passing game .

Green Bay took Dillon in the 2nd round (#62). He was gone when Beane took Moss at #86. But every know-it-all I heard leading up to the draft had Dillon going 4th round-ish. So he might have been in the plans for the Bills. It's just someone else took a leap of faith.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Perhaps it's too early for some to start talking about next season. If that's the case for you, I understand.

As for me, I'm already excited about the potential of the 2021 Buffalo Bills.

It was quite clear watching last night's game -- and watching the entire season unfold, really -- that the Bills could DESPERATELY use a good run game. 

The question remains, though: Just HOW do you go about addressing the running game? Buffalo recently spent third round picks on Singletary and Moss. I doubt they're ready to give up on either of them, nor should they. The Bills usually only dress three running backs on game day, with the third being a special teams contributor. Neither Singletary nor Moss contribute much on special teams.

So what do you do?

Do you draft another running back? If so, you'd probably better draft one earlier than round three. If Singletary and Moss aren't getting it done, what makes you think another third round or later running back will?

Are you willing to part with such premium draft capital for a running back? Do you focus on replacing a guard or two, or the center? What do you do? 

Knowing how aggressively Beane attacks roster weaknesses, and how much McDermott values the run game, I trust that Buffalo will actively seek to address this problem. But in the meantime, how do YOU suggest we go about it? This question does not seem to have any easy answers.

I think the running game improves when the interior O-Line improves. Even if we somehow traded for Kamara we still wouldn’t be able to run the ball with the current O-Line.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think the running game improves when the interior O-Line improves. Even if we somehow traded for Kamara we still wouldn’t be able to run the ball with the current O-Line.

Its the exterior too.  Williams seemed to struggle with the outside zone rushes on the backside and killing any cutback lanes.  

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Earlier in the season I actually agreed with you. As the season wore on, I noticed that Singletary in particular just isn't powerful enough to fall forward and he's not fast enough to outrun guys. The stretch plays dont work because he's not fast enough. The inside plays dont work because he's not strong enough. I expected Moss to be a punisher, but he seems to be playing similar to Singletary... slow without the power to compensate. It's a big area of need unless Moss takes some miraculous step after healing from his injury, which is unlikely.

I'm all for improvement - I'm just reluctant to spend more draft capital on the position in the offseason.  Make it more of an open competition - there is the potential for hiim to improve.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Hopefully they don't dedicate much in the way of resources to a "running game."

Run plays, except in very specific situations, are just a wasted down.

I get the crowd that want Josh to throw on every down. But as we saw last night that's a terrible strategy. Daboll was a little lazy this year and really didn't put more time in tweaking the run game. Moss is the better RB but both are slow. Did we really invest much time adjusting the blocking schemes? If they force Josh to throw for 300 and run for 60+ every game that's a recipe for disaster. Teams will do what KC did last night. Blitz and drop into coverage. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

Good thread.  I'm sure whatever I think is a few levels below Beane's thinking, but I don't think we're that far.  Moss is a really good start, imo - it hurt us more than we think not to have him yesterday.  He was starting to make a real impact, and he is so much better at the LOS than Singletary.

I want so badly for Singletary to work out, but it might be time to move on, in whatever form that takes.  He's becoming consistent at all the things you don't want consistency in - getting 2 yards on most carries, and making mistakes.  That game could have been so different if he holds on to that ball.  Keeping your eye on the ball until it's caught is a RB 101 kind of thing.

I thought Yeldon was impressive last night in both the pass and run game, and it made me wonder why we didn't use him more all season.  Where Singletary can't break the 1st tackle at the LOS, Yeldon consistently turned it into a few more yards.

I think most of the offseason work & draft has to be defense this year - but if they like a back in the 1st couple of rounds, they should make that a priority.

Yeldon showed strength last nite.KC wasnt stopping him.

34 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I thought so too, but when Yeldon came in, those 1-2 yard runs became 4-6 yard runs, nevermind the fact a RB in our system needs to be a pass catching threat. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I understand this line of thinking, but I respectfully disagree.

I'm not suggesting that the Bills should run the ball more often next year. I AM suggesting that they need to be able to run it more EFFECTIVELY. 

Run volume/frequency and Run effectiveness are not the same thing. 

While I agree that the modern NFL is all about passing, and that the Bills should continue to be a pass-first team going forward, they have to at least BE ABLE to run the ball when needed. The two Super Bowl participants are the perfect example. Both the Chiefs and Bucs are pass-first teams, but both of them can run the ball with effectiveness when needed. 

Well, I agree and disagree.  "Being able to run the ball when needed"... if you could run the ball WHEN they know you NEED to run the ball,,,, well why not do it every down?   The running game needs to be a threat for chunk yardage AND more than just a way to get to being able to have a 2nd and 5, or 3rd and 2, move the chains. That does not get yardage and that does not help set up the passing game.   You gotta have a THREAT before they respect the running game enough to help the passing game.

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

Two main problems to address.

1- Run game as you pointed out

2- Pass rush

Does Star coming back fix the pass rush by freeing up Oliver and co?

I want to see a good running back a high pick CB and a lot of shots at defensive linemen.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the reason why the staff likes Felciano at center is because he gets more push in the run game.  I think adding that beef up front, maybe bring in a vet guard to compete with Ford for the LG spot.  I think Boettger he solidified the RG spot. 

I think we move on from Singletary.  I think they like Moss and I agree now we need a RB with speed who is a one cut and go.  

Yeah I’m done with Singletary. His mistake last night might have cost us any real chance at that game. He’s proven all year that he’s not the guy. He and Moss are almost the same player, but Moss is better at breaking tackles. We have control of Moss for a year longer on his rookie deal too. 

I really don’t want to see Singletary in a bills uniform again. I think he’s as much to blame for how that game swung as anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

The offense needs to run more plays from under center.  Just seems like if Allen is under center, they know we're running it - its very rarely a misdirection or counter, its almost always outside zone or inside zone.  The run game needs to be overhauled, and if the offensive linemen can't execute it then they need to be replaced.

Here is what I don't understand.  I've been a manufacturing engineer where moving material through a line quicker AND with improved decision steps has help the company (and $$ me).   There are 25 seconds to get a play off. There are "hurryup" offenses  (J.Kelly) that go to the line quickly to freeze the defenses and then select their plays.

If the QB is under center, quick interior runs are effective. They also don't broadcast that any run is going to be slow developing.  Being in the shotgun is good for seeing the field and what method the DB are using and who might blitz. But it limits the running game. ... WTF don't they get the play in quicker and flip between under-center and shotgun, even do two changes?  More eye candy for the defense and fewer limitations on the type of plays to be avaiable.

There is another level of confusion to bring to the defence,,, like the KC technique of having a WR/RB run around in circles in the backfield before a snap.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 2