What are your ideas to fix the Bills' running game for next year?

Logic

Having an O line that can run block consistently would be the first step, properly designed run plays would be nice as well. If we only fix those two aspects our current RBs would be above average in yards gained per game, replacing both our starting running backs would come third on my list.  

The game is won and lost in the trenches, fix the lines first... 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The run game coordinator for the niners is the new OC for the jets iirc.  

I agree with the rest. It’s a lot of change and I don’t think that we’ll see 3 new interior OL......but I’d like to.  

We I do believe we need a big upgrade at RB.  Maybe a trade back from 30 if we had 3 2nd rd picks, use one on Kenneth Gainwell or Javonte Williams.  

That’s a great hire for the Jets, oh well. Our running game was very bad, it’s going to take some major reconstruction to get any results out of it.

• Agree 1

Given how successful the OLine was in terms of pass protection this year, I'm not really sure how much I want to shake it up. Their struggles opening up running lanes were apparent, but a part of me thinks we'd be better off just leaning into our passing game and bringing in a 3rd back that's more of a weapon out of the backfield. Guys like James White, Jamaal Williams, LeVeon Bell, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead, etc. are available in free agency this offseason, probably won't break the bank, and would give us something we certainly lack from Singletary and may lack from Moss (though I think he's far more promising as a pass-catcher than Singletary).

I personally am not in a rush to bring in a more talented runner than the two we already have, though Singletary's regression this year was definitely alarming. If he can't make people miss the way he did as a rookie and in college, he's not contributing on the field at all so they're going to need to re-evaluate him this offseason and figure out if something significant changed this year, if he had a nagging injury we didn't know about/wasn't in good shape, or if they think he just had a bad year and will bounce back.

• Agree 1

I'd prioritize size if I'm drafting a RB.  I'm talking Jerome Bettis/Jamal Lewis/Derrick Henry bulldozer size - in the minimum 240 to 250 lbs. range.   

I'd want the Bills to have a RB that the defense fears to tackle, especially on short yardage situations. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We need to get rid of Moss and Motor period.  Given the sample size we have witnessed of both players including last year and this season.  They are to small and don't have the speed or strength to break the initial hit at the point of contact and they both lack speed to impact the plays at the LOS.   Their receiving skills are questionable at best.

I have watched so many other teams this year and the good backs like Chubb, Kamara and McCaffrey always seem to make a second move to find a opening to get through the LOS if they are initially stopped or hit, or they break off left or right of the initial hit to gain yards somewhere else on the LOS when they don't see any daylight. 

Our backs don't possess any of those skillset traits.  I have seen them get hit and because of their size, they are either stopped at the initial point of impact or put on the ground shortly afterwards.  Only once have I seen Motor or Moss truly make a move in the secondary that shows they have pure instinctive RB traits, to avoid a possible would be tackler.  Good RB's consistently break tackles and make people miss.  These two can't.  Even when they are past the LOS in a somewhat open field.

Although the O-Line is bad at run blocking, I can count too many times this year where our backs were a "Zero" threat when they got into the open field.  They were terrible could not extend plays and get yardage that other backs in this league would.

We need to find another Karlos Williams but without all the associated problems he had off the field.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Instead of wasting another high pick on running back, we could get a pretty decent, proven one in free agency.

I'm guessing it would cost maybe $5M and we would know what we're getting because the position has been devalued.

Options:

Chris Carson

Kenyan Drake

Todd Gurley

Carlos Hyde

Marlon Mack

Phillip Lindsay

Save the first round pick for a CB, DE, or someone else who isn't a dime a dozen.

Spending any pick in the top 5 rounds on a rb after doing so 2 straight years is irresponsible. They need to upgrade the oline. It’s that simple. The line played well at times but at the end of the day we need to upgrade the guards. I would love to have the Colts o line. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Instead of wasting another high pick on running back, we could get a pretty decent, proven one in free agency.

I'm guessing it would cost maybe $5M and we would know what we're getting because the position has been devalued.

Options:

Chris Carson

Kenyan Drake

Todd Gurley

Carlos Hyde

Marlon Mack

Phillip Lindsay

Save the first round pick for a CB, DE, or someone else who isn't a dime a dozen.

I think either of our backs would thrive in an actual rushing offense.  Not sure if its just - not creative?  But we basically have like 3 running plays.  Inside and outside zone (with occasionally mckenzie in motion), and if we're in shotgun its read option (with occasional motion, or RPO concepts).  No pitches, no power, no pin and pull, misdirection, counters, traps... anything.  

10 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

We need to get rid of Moss and Motor period.  Given the sample size we have witnessed of both players including last year and this season.  They are to small and don't have the speed or strength to break the initial hit at the point of contact and they both lack speed to impact the plays at the LOS.   Their receiving skills are questionable at best.

I have watched so many other teams this year and the good backs like Chubb, Kamara and McCaffrey always seem to make a second move to find a opening to get through the LOS if they are initially stopped or hit, or they break off left or right of the initial hit to gain yards somewhere else on the LOS when they don't see any daylight. 

Our backs don't possess any of those skillset traits.  I have seen them get hit and because of their size, they are either stopped at the initial point of impact or put on the ground shortly afterwards.  Only once have I seen Motor or Moss truly make a move in the secondary that shows they have pure instinctive RB traits, to avoid a possible would be tackler.  Good RB's consistently break tackles and make people miss.  These two can't.  Even when they are past the LOS in a somewhat open field.

Although the O-Line is bad at run blocking, I can count too many times this year where are backs were a "Zero" threat when they got into the open field.  They were terrible could not extend plays and get yardage that other backs in this league would.

We need to find another Karlos Williams but without all the associated problems he had off the field.

No chance we get rid of both of them.  

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I think letting Morse walk and moving Feliciano to Center long term with Boettger and Ford would be an improvement running the ball. We also will look to bring in a back with speed.

That would be a start, but one more good guard added would be ideal.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Spend a high pick on a top RB prospect, if there is a guy there still at 30.

2. Bulk up the OL with some maulers in mid to late rounds. 

Draft some of these guys: (all info from Walter Football) 

Aaron Banks, G, Notre Dame
Height: 6-5. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.33.
Projected Round (2021): 2-4.

Chasen Hines*, G, LSU
Height: 6-3. Weight: 349.
Projected 40 Time: 5.49.

Michal Menet, C, Penn State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 302.
Projected 40 Time: 5.24.
Projected Round (2021): 3-5.

Trey Smith, OT/G, Tennessee
Height: 6-6. Weight: 320.
Projected 40 Time: 5.32.
Projected Round (2021): 2-3.

Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
Height: 5-10. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
Projected Round (2021): 1-2.

Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Height: 6-2. Weight: 230.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
Projected Round (2021): 1-2.

Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina
Height: 5-10. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.

Larry Rountree III, RB, Missouri
Height: 5-10. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.5.
Projected Round (2021): 3-5.

24 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Given how successful the OLine was in terms of pass protection this year, I'm not really sure how much I want to shake it up. Their struggles opening up running lanes were apparent, but a part of me thinks we'd be better off just leaning into our passing game and bringing in a 3rd back that's more of a weapon out of the backfield. Guys like James White, Jamaal Williams, LeVeon Bell, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead, etc. are available in free agency this offseason, probably won't break the bank, and would give us something we certainly lack from Singletary and may lack from Moss (though I think he's far more promising as a pass-catcher than Singletary).

I personally am not in a rush to bring in a more talented runner than the two we already have, though Singletary's regression this year was definitely alarming. If he can't make people miss the way he did as a rookie and in college, he's not contributing on the field at all so they're going to need to re-evaluate him this offseason and figure out if something significant changed this year, if he had a nagging injury we didn't know about/wasn't in good shape, or if they think he just had a bad year and will bounce back.

Agree entirely.  I would love to grab White or Burkhead. That’s exactly the type of RB this offense needs.

We need to run a bit more to keep teams honest, but we shouldn’t be messing with our identity. Just look at the chiefs— it’s not like they were pounding the rock last night. 

• Like (+1) 1