2020 draft

dbfla10

5 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Looking back at the season and what rookies contributed was this draft class at this point a swing and miss? Gabe Davis seems to be the only contributor after 1yr. Epenesa over JK dobbins looks like a huge mistake. 

Sure, in retrospect. In April i think most of us thought that Motor was gonna be the guy and spending another high draft pick on a RB would have verged on malpractice.  I dont want to pile on Epenessa quite yet, but i'm not sure we need a guy who specializes in chasing QBs across the field but never quite gets there.  I feel like we have several of those guys already.  Maybe we can use him to chase Allen around in practice until Josh learns to throw the ball before a 25 yard sack

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Missed a PAT last night was Monster miss. 

I’m not worried about Bass. I think the overall point about draft classes is worth discussing. Beane has probably found NFL caliber players but he hasn’t found that game changer. 

13 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Looking back at the season and what rookies contributed was this draft class at this point a swing and miss? Gabe Davis seems to be the only contributor after 1yr. Epenesa over JK dobbins looks like a huge mistake. 

JK Dobbins isn't a receiving back.  We saw him Singletary passes from Rivers in the WC game.  I'm completely ok passing on him.  

I am definitely on board with taking Najee Harris though.  If he's there when we draft, that's basically what you'd want if you designed a Buffalo Bills RB in a lab. 

Epenesa seems to be a project, like Edmunds... it is what it is with our philosophy here.  

Davis, Bass and Jackson seem like potential hits.  Moss serves a role with a non-Singletary running back.  Hodgins had some hype in camp and gives us a sure handed big bodied WR.  

Edited by SCBills

Espinoza got better in the 2nd half of the season.  There's every reason to think that he'll be a defensive mainstay next season.

Bass was a huge pickup.  After a shaky start he was one of the best long FG kickers in the NFL.  Just in the playoffs he nailed two 51 yard FG's and a 54 yard FG.

Moss developed into a solid #2 RB. 

Given that we didn't have a #1 pick this years draft class was fine.

Gabe Davis was a great hit, and could be a real solid #2. Epenesa, and Moss did not look good as rookies, and honestly didnt even show flashes. Singletary seemed to have taken 4 steps back, and it looks like the Bills still need to draft a RB. Moss just seemed like another guy, not a great look for a 3rd guy. Yes Kicker was solid but i think we couldve gotten the same performance (as least close) with Hausheka(sp). Fromm Obviously didn't have a chance to show what he can do, and we're all ok with that. 

My gut is this team isnt as solid as everyone thinks. Minus Poyer, Hyde, White, the Defense is pretty bare. 

I hate Ohio State, but I really wanted to grab Dobbins.  He's a beast.  I was at the Clemson-Ohio State Fiesta Bowl - Dobbins' last game at Ohio State.  When he was in the game, Ohio State dominated Clemson's defensive line and controlled the game.  Dobbins ran around, through and over them.  That D-line was one of the best in the game.  When he was out for a few series, they couldn't move the ball at all.  It took a while for the Ravens to get there, but Dobbins became their lead back over a couple of pretty good veteran backs.  

I was OK with the AJ pick too, as we need DE's and AJ was a very good one in college too, but I think Dobbins would have had a greater impact on this year's Bills than AJ did.  Moss isn't a bad player, but Dobbins is better.  Let's just hope AJ develops.  I think he can.  Overall, I think it was a solid draft.  Davis and Bass have equaled or surpassed their draft position, Jackson has the potential to (and I think will).  He's a 7th rounder and contributed to one of the top teams in the NFL.  AJ and Moss are NFL contributors and it remains to be seen if they will develop into something more.  Certainly neither is a bust.  Hodgkins and Fromm haven't seen the field, so they are still unknowns.  If Fromm can become a competent backup QB and Hodgkins a WR5 or WR6, they both will have achieved their draft status or better.

What say you all to making another Diggs type move next season?  Trading our first round pick for, say, and established beast of a pass rusher?  I dont have anyone specific in mind as im not exactly sure what anyone's trade capitol would be, but just a thought.  The Diggs move obviously paid off and I for one think we made out better than had we drafted in the 1st round.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

What say you all to making another Diggs type move next season?  Trading our first round pick for, say, and established beast of a pass rusher?  I dont have anyone specific in mind as im not exactly sure what anyone's trade capitol would be, but just a thought.  The Diggs move obviously paid off and I for one think we made out better than had we drafted in the 1st round.

Might be a little harder to do since our pick is at 30, but if the right player is available, I’d go for it.

Looks decent to me:

Round 1 • Pick 22 (22) • WR Stefon Diggs

Round 2 • Pick 22 (54) • DE A.J. Epenesa.

Round 3 • Pick 22 (86) • RB Zack Moss.

Round 4 • Pick 22 (128) • WR Gabriel Davis.

Round 5 • Pick 22 (167) • QB Jake Fromm.

Round 6 • Pick 9 (188) • K Tyler Bass.

Round 6 • Pick 28 (207) • WR Isaiah Hodgins.

Round 7 • Pick 25 (239) • CB Dane Jackson.

• Like (+1) 1

I actually thought Moss looked good towards end of season before he got hurt.  Better than Singletary at least but I hope Beane stops drafting low upside RB’s in the 3rd round.  Davis was good.  Epenesa has potential.  Bass was a hit pick. Jackson looks like he could be good.  If Epenesa becomes an 8-10 sack per year guy, this will go down as a good draft.  

Almost every team saw a limited impact from their 2020 draft class. These kids had no pre-season and no off-season training program due to Covid-19. That is going to stunt the development of a lot of players. Yes some rookies had good impact however more did not. Even given the nature of the 2020 off-season the Bills got some pop from their rookie class. 

Bass and Davis were significant contributors while Moss also was a good role player (Averaged 4.3 ypc and 4 TD's despite the short yardage use). That's 3 players who were contributors without a first round pick that's solid.

AJ is a long term play, while he didn't have much of an impact in his limited snaps he did get into the rotation to end the season which is progress. AJ was and is a project. Hopefully he comes into the off-season with a full gameplan from the coaching staff as to how to improve. They need AJ to at least be a good DE in early down situations. I see him in the vein of Shaq Lawson in 2019, stout against the run but can pass rush effectively just not consistently. There is some potential with Jackson and Hodgins to develop into contributors too. 

Overall the 2020 draft class without a 1st round pick to me gets a B-, three players with solid to good impact and long term potential to turn out 4 or more starters. Not too much to complain about outside of AJ's limited impact.